Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#91029 01/04/03 05:25 PM
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I'm collecting a list of paradoxical words, that is, words that in some sense contain their own contradiction. The word "exoteric" (AWAD 10/22) is a good example: It is essentially an antonym of "esoteric" and means "not limited to an inner circle of select people, suitable for the general public." However, I suspect that only a small inner circle of select people ( i.e., AWAD enthusiasts and similar word lovers) know what exoteric means. The word "exoteric" is therefore esoteric.

Please post any other words of this type that you may know, including a brief explanation of why they are paradoxical. I will post the complete list of submitted words to the AWAD forum.

If you know of a list of paradoxical terms in English that someone else already has compiled, please let me know where to find it.

Thanks!

David

David Schwartz
Department of Neurobiology
Duke University Medical Center

David Schwartz
#91030 01/04/03 06:37 PM
R
rav Offline
R

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear dschwartz65:
An interesting question. In searching for something that might fit, a found a site about
oxymorons you might enjoy browsing. Some of them are debatable, but that could be
the interesting part.
http://www.wordexplorations.com/oxymora-a-f.html

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
if I apprehend (yet another!) David's question correctly, he seeks not words that can be defined in two nearly opposite senses (self-contradicting, enantiodromic)*, but rather words such as those in column one of the "cabbage puzzle"--non-selfdescriptive (heterological) words; e.g., monosyllabic, adjective.

one of my favorite words which exhibits this quality is orthoepy, which has the meaning "the customary pronunciation of words"; orthoepy has two accepted pronunciations.

*self-contradicting words have been discussed in these pages to some degree in the past.

(for that matter, heterological words have come up in a couple of threads, notably this one: http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=6120)

#91034 01/05/03 02:54 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
http:// wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=6120)

Isn't this another incarnation ofwhat is officially called Russell's Paradox? There are classes which include themselves, and classes which don't include themselves - to which one does the class-of-things-that-do-not-include-themselves belong? (Substitute "catalog" for "class" if it makes it more concrete.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
to which one does the class-of-things-that-do-not-include themselves belong?

It belongs to the Gödelian Just-cause-we-wrap-our-tongues-around-some-sounds-doesn't-mean-we-know-what-we're-talking-about class.

#91036 01/05/03 09:24 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Right! Go to the head of the class!

But it really is Russell's Paradox

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Many thanks to all who have posted ideas so far. Deliberately self-contradictory terms (e.g., sophmore), and logical conundrums (e.g. Russel's paradox) are great fun, but i think I have something different in mind, namely, instances where the paradox is not built into the word or phrase but arises from a particular social context. In other words, while "sophmore" will always be an oxymoron, "exoteric" will be paradoxical only as long as its use remains limited to a small circle of people. If, for example, William Safire were to write a column about "exoteric" being a paradoxical word, the word would no longer be paradoxical, or less so anyway.

There may not actually be very many such words. I hadn't given the matter much thought until I came across 'exoteric' the October AWAD posting.

David Schwartz

David Schwartz
M
old hand
old hand
M
Neato construction,

Mr. Dschwartz, but I fear that lingual constructions that you feel exist will be found to be as rare as ticks on a turtle. Think a minute. What grouping of thought concepts could be arranged so as to have an inadvertant conceptual gravitation towards paradox. You'll agree not many. But think about it, your question ...

While "sophmore" will always be an oxymoron, "exoteric" will be paradoxical only as long as its use remains limited to a small circle of people
is in itself paradoxical.

In the absolute, David, that is true. But do you have time to find another?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith