About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

I searched the site for this, b/c it seemed a likely YART, but no luck.

Do we have a list of words that don't mean what their etymologies suggest?

Context - without intending to debate, per se, I brought up the fact that there is disagreement about what the term 'atheism' means. However, I was aware that there would likely be disagreement. Most people who discuss these things will simply say, "My definition is the only correct definition and here are my sources. All other definitions are bogus."

Once again, I don't want to start a debate here. I don't want to argue about the existence of god or who believes what. For the sake of non-argument, let's just say that whatever you as a reader believe about god, that I believe the exact same thing.

Frankly, I don't really give a rat's ass what words mean - well, more like I don't care to define the words myself. I mostly just infer meaning from other people's usages. It seems to me that I'm just reporting the obvious.

What I'd like to know is:

1a) From the POV of people who do have an interest in definitions, do I have a point?

1b) If I do have a point, what are some examples of (other) words whose meanings don't jibe with their etymologies. I'm particularly interested in words whose meanings actually contradict their etymologies, but a stark contrast would be sufficient.

1c) Do you think the word "atheism" should be enumerated among that set?

2) I've attempted to make this point on numerous occasions with both atheists and nonatheists, but it usually falls on blind eyes. Is there a clearer way to say this than what I've done?

3) Citations would be good, but it would be better if I could get at least a few non-web citations.

Please, say whatever you think needs to be said. I WON'T RESPOND about what I believe, but only read (or clarify if requested). Will be going away for a week or so and may not see all responses immediately, but *really* look forward to seeing opinions - even if it's just to say I'm screwed in the head.

For the life of me, my observation seems so obvious as to be unworthy of mention, were it not for the fact that so many disagree with it.

thanks,
k

-------
For reference --

What I said:

The traditional view is
a) an atheist is someone who disbelieves in god.
b) an agnostic is someone who withholds judgement.

What the other person said:

Actually this is false. The common misconception is the above but this
is not the traditional view. Agnosticism is a position on the
availability of knowledge about god.It is the belief that said knowledge
is inherently unattainable. It says nothing about belief. Theism and
atheism are statements about belief in gods. Atheism, simply put, is a
lack of belief in a god or gods. You can be an agnostic atheist or an
agnostic theist. I have known both.

What I said:

The view of a great many people who call themselves atheists is this:
Anyone who does not actively believe in a god is an atheist (insisting -
stupidly in my opinion - that words have to mean what their etymologies
suggest).

What the other person said:

Rejecting this valid definition of atheism is usually done because of a
bias against the word itself. It literally means non-theist. Everyone is
either a theist or an atheist. It is a true binary pairing, your opinion
of my intellect notwithstanding.

k

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just to start things off let me offer that theist/atheist is not a true binary. Deists fit in neither category.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
I can only contribute what the words mean to me. To me, agnostic, from "without knowledge," pertains to those who feel that there may be a God (or gods), but they are not convinced of it. They remain in someway open to the possibility of it, but they don't have blind faith in the existence of God. An atheist on the other hand, is someone who has a firm belief that there is no god.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
agnostic, from "without knowledge," pertains to those who feel that there may be a God (or gods), but they are not convinced of it.

That's pretty much the normal definition. And, speaking of binaries, gnostic/agnostic is not a binary pairing, either, especially if you capitalize Gnostic.

If I describe myself as an agnostic it is with the intention of stating that I believe that we cannot know. This goes beyond the common definition.

More generally, I cannot agree with FF's other person if op is saying that words cannot change meaning and even diverge radically from their original meanings. One only need cite silly and nice to prove the point.

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
If I describe myself as an agnostic it is with the intention of stating that I believe that we cannot know. This goes beyond the common definition.
Does it? I thought Huxley said that the answer to the question "Who is this God person anyway?" was both unknown and unknowable I am, of course, speaking from my usual position of semi-ignorance, and am therefore likely to be wildly off-base, but since it was my understanding that he (Huxley that is, not God) "coined" agnostic, his definition should have primacy. Strictly my $0.02

More generally, I cannot agree with FF's other person if op is saying that words cannot change meaning and even diverge radically from their original meanings. One only need cite silly and nice to prove the point.
When I read the thread title, before reading its content, I thought of these two words first

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Of course, one could say that God is unknowable in the intellectual sense but knowable in a transcendent mystical sense. Such a person could claim to be an intellectual agnostic and yet a believer, a theist.

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
In reply to:

Of course, one could say that God is unknowable in the intellectual sense but knowable in a transcendent mystical sense. Such a person could claim to be an intellectual agnostic and yet a believer, a theist.

In the immortal words of Oolon Colluphid, "well, that about wraps it up for God."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
that about wraps it up for God

Careful on that next zebra crossing, Oolon.

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
Careful on that next zebra crossing, Oolon.

I would never cross a zebra - NZ's GE free doncha know?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
And, speaking of which, I believe I'll have another drink ...

- Pfranz

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 727 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith