About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#8988 10/27/00 12:45 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I learned, in an early mailing from Mr Subcontinent himself, Anu Garg, that the above is the only word in English with the vowels arranged in lacitebahpla order.

#8989 10/27/00 01:46 AM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
...only word in English with the vowels arranged in lacitebahpla order

Thanks, Anna, you learn something every day. I'd love to know how "they" come up with these sort of facts. I guess they throw it into some sort of letter-crunching dictionarial computer? Another recent example from Anu that springs to mind is that "syzygy" is the longest English word from which no other word can be formed using its letters (hope I got that right). I just have to take their word for it, no pun intended.

#8990 10/27/00 12:01 PM
old hand
old hand
Bel, you said

I don't understand what you are angry about when you are asked about your people?

Partly it is because, perhaps, I eschew the idea of having 'my people'. Partly because of.... well, here's an imaginary conversation, that nevertheless is pretty true. (I have made up C88's parenthetical thoughts.)

Hypothetical conversation upon first meeting.

Combat88: "Are you Indian?" [You're Indian, aren't you!]

Me: "No. Actually I'm English." [What are your criteria anyway?]

C88: "But, like… you've got… um … family … in India? I mean, your family comes from India…?" [wog]

Me: "My parents live in Bombay, yes." [And I could have been white and this fact would not have made the least blind bit of difference to you then.]

C88: "Ahhh…" [Knew you were Indian!] "So tell me - do your people celebrate Christmas (play hide the sausage/burn their dead/kill for dowry)?" [Bloody uncivilised wogs. Bet he shares his room with thirteen other people, most of them illegal immigrants.]

Me: "I celebrate Christmas with gusto." [Racist!]

Notes:

1. Combat88 - As I understand it, a fascist group aligned to Nazism (the number 88 is of some Hitlerian significance - his birthday or some such).

2. wog - Westernised oriental gentleman - much used pejoratively during the time of the Raj. Also 'babu' used similarly vide Kipling's Kim.

The point is that the minute I am categorised as part of 'your people', I feel as if I have been de-personalised, as if I am no longer important to the person talking to me, merely the stereotypes I represent for him or her. This certainly angers me. How much of it is merely 'in my mind' I don't know, but I am not a paranoid sort of person, and cannot really remember coming across any overt racism aimed at me... so maybe it's an open question.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#8991 10/27/00 12:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the minute I am categorised as part of 'your people', I feel as if I have been de-personalised, as if I am no longer important to the person talking to me, merely the stereotypes I represent for him or her.

Oh, my dearest--

I am humbled before this essential and invaluable lesson.
Thank you.

#8992 10/27/00 12:28 PM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
I think that while we all may be happy to choose to belong to certain groups we dislike having groups thrust upon us (with all the inherent assumptions).

It's interesting that some people (you know who you are - RhubarbCommando!) would prefer not to tell us their gender and we've discussed in the "poster sex" thread the kind of assumptions people make, based on really very small amounts of information about us. Even without looking at extreme racisc groups we have all made assumptions about others based on a first impression.

Whilst I am reasonably happy for people to know I am female. There are some circumstances where I would prefer not to discuss the religion in which I was brought up. I feel that incorrect assumptions could be made about my politics and whilst I'd be happy to discuss those with friends I'd rather not discuss it with the world in general. The problem with an assumption based on colour of skin is that is way too broad and is so easy to do. I can understand Shank's reluctance to be placed into a group by others.

#8993 10/27/00 12:29 PM
old hand
old hand
Jackie

It ain't as bad as all that. I learn to bite my tongue. Besides, I have seen the other side - paranoia taken to the extent of never trusting the 'whites' (yes, I've heard expats use that phrase often enough in the vernacular - gora in Hindi), leading to a complete lack of understanding, friendship, or co-operation. I'd rather be quiet about a little unconscious racism, than perpetuate the vicious spiral by mirroring it.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#8994 10/27/00 12:33 PM
old hand
old hand
Agreed, Jo.

It isn't paranoia, or an unjustifiable desire for privacy - just caution, and a desire to be taken for who you are. Having said which, I am certain that I am as guilty as anybody of stereotyping people...

#8995 10/27/00 12:38 PM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
Fancy meeting up sometime for a curry?

[Afterthought: This is relates to stereotyping, rather than needing to be transferred to the "personals" discussion]

#8996 10/27/00 12:41 PM
old hand
old hand
Any time you're in London. Vindaloo, vindaloo. Vindaloo, vindaloo, la la. After all, apparently the English are now physically addicted to the stuff. For me, it's the lager and poppadums that do it...

#8997 10/27/00 01:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh Shanks, you are so right--It is such a lazy habit, for people to think that they can "know" your by fitting you into a neat little category.

It is one of my failings--I keep thinking I have gotten over its, and they some one will say something, and I realize that I have a stereotyped someone by their age, ethic background, religion, haircolor, or some other meaningless attribute. Not always negatively, but stereotyped them none the less.

A english gentleman once put a very large foot in his mouth when he asked about my background (he was surprised at my knowledge of "english" English, and when I replied I was Irish American, the words "But your intelligent!" fell out of his mouth. It is very unpleasant to find yourself stereotyped! I am always vaguely aware that the irish are not always held in high regard, not even here in US, but it rare to come face to face with it.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 706 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith