Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I am interested in knowing how many (or how few) of us are non-native English speakers.
I would like to share with them the two faces of this experience for me:
1) to accept that I am not perfect - here, that I cannot avoid mistakes,and that I have to accept to show them to an audience of well English writers - is not a shame, but just a way to be open to the world and to the people
2) anyway, how frustrating is not to be able to express your idea unless in a simplified form, for lack of words!
Ciao
Emanuela

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
If it makes you feel any better Emanuela, perhaps we should have an Italian day where we all posted our replies in Italian - I'm sure that our efforts would keep you amused for ages.

Arriverderchi (no idea how to spell it!)

Jo

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Emanuela--

Again, I think you are very brave and I admire you tremendously. Thank you for giving us such a good example!

Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Hi Emanuela
I would like to respond to your message - since English is not my native language.
I too struggle with wanting to be perfect and speak English like all the rest. I use the board as a learning and note down phrases and words that the others have used, and use them myself. The other day during a very Indian occasion I said "Dagnabbit" (that Anna had used sometime), it sounded so odd and out of place. My one fear is to use what we call Indianism - constructions arising out of translation from Indian languages. One example is "Don't speak in the middle" for "Don't Interrupt". The question is what is perfect? It is relative, isn't it? French style of speaking English sounds perfect when the French speak it. Yes, it is frustrating not to have enough words to express oneself. That improves with more writing and speaking. As for being self-conscious - in a place where every one knows you it shouldn't really matter if a word is where it shouldn't be. You're absolutely right - the lack of language should not succeed in keeping the world and people away.

#8893 10/30/00 01:51 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
awadadiddies diddy dum diddy doos

Love that, belM

#8894 10/30/00 01:56 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(I'll let Anna off and anyone with windpowered Macs.)

'preciate the consideration, there, Jo

And as for you, Avy, I have never ever uttered or typed the word "dagnabbit" until this very moment! (but your point is taken) ... I became bilingual rather late in life and will still often misuse a term in Portuguese. If I were to give examples, though, I'd be guilty of YARTing in public. And this is something ladies do not do.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Avy,

On a similar note to Jackie's reply to Emanuela, I too admire you, Emanuela and all other non-English-speaking contributors to this board. I know I approached my first few postings with some trepidation, despite being an English speaker! Now I have a more relaxed what-the-hell attitude.

Just before I hit the Continue button to post this, I did a search on "dagnabbit" and found that Anna had already beaten me to the punch with a reply, and confirmed what I suspected. I don't want to waste all these precious characters that I've typed (would they go to the dead letter office if I deleted them?), so here's my say, anyway..[

I too learn a lot about words and expressions from other people's postings, but I would urge caution in your approach. As you probably realize by now, some of the words and expressions in use here are "made up", some are obscure references that not every one would understand, some are specific to a particular country (perhaps slang) and some are deliberate (or accidental?) misuse/mis-spelling of the "correct" word. I, for example, had never heard/seen the word "dagnabbit" in my life before Anna used it, and I suspect most of my circle of family/friends/acquaintances would look at me rather strangely if I used it.

Oh, and there's a big category here for jokes of all kinds, lots of puns, and many recurring themes or "in" jokes (i.e. only understood by one of the "group") - eg cycling fish. I guess once you understand all of them, you'll know you've "made it". You'll be doing better than I. You'll also be a little weird.

#8896 10/30/00 02:31 AM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
...and Anna, I think you're splitting hairs there. Does cutting and pasting not qualify as typing? Your response to belMarduk's use of the phrase "dag nabbit":

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=6149

I do excuse you - I know two weeks ago puts it in the old-history-purge-from-memory category.

#8897 10/30/00 03:33 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I will confess that I am the likely culprit who first posted this substitute for cursing, that I picked up from my Tennessee cousin. But I am not the one whom Anna
quoted.

#8898 10/30/00 05:42 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
anyone with windpowered Macs.

I hope that's not a subtle way of calling me garrulous!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 688 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith