Print Thread
#88772 12/06/02 03:37 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
One of the spelling words. I had a lot of trouble finding out much about it. It descibes a type
of ceramic apparently made almost excusively by the Etruscans. It is uniformly all black, and
the color was produced by second firing under reducing conditions, so that the black color
is that of carbon, not of a metal in the glaze. For a sample see URL:
http://www.dia.org/collections/ancient/theetruscans/F70.46.html

I found many interesting words about ceramics in the search, but suppose nobody else is
likely to be interested in those words. The URL shows a "kantharos" a four inch high
drinking cup, with very large handles almost like rabbit ears. The Etruscans must have
been "two fisted" drinkers. The handles seem way out of proportion to me.

#88773 12/06/02 09:14 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
What did the Greeks use to get that black over terracotta?

#88774 12/06/02 02:41 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: When a flame coes not have enough oxygen mixed with the fuel to burn it all,
it has a lower temperature, is less bright, and may smoke. Surely you have seen a candle
whose wick has gotten too long and is too straight, so tip is not burning brightly in outside
portion of flame. There is not enough oxygen mixed with the vaporized wax, and it smokes
because the wax is not completely burning. If you hold test tube over the flame, the bottom
gets coated with soot. The bucchero pottery was evidently in second firing had air supply
reduced, producing soot which blackened the pottery. I can't help wondering what the glaze
was that could vitrify under those conditions. Lead could do it, perhaps. And maybe (as a
jest,) that was what caused the downfall of the Etruscans.

Incidentally, going back to the candles, there is a trick to the wick, One of the fibers has to
have more tension than the others, so that when the wax melts, it can contract slightly,
and meake wick end curl and poke out through side of flame where it reaches enough
oxygen to burn with a much brighter yellow than any other part of the flame. When I made
candles, I could not reproduce that effect, and my candles were obnoxiously smoky.
That's my theory about wicks. Maybe other members know more about the secret pf
making the wick curve out of the flame.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 620 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith