Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#88157 12/01/02 01:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Critics are saying The Two Towers is better than Fellowship! I can't wait! Opens 12/18!

For preview, interesting background on Peter Jackson and the movie's production, and the new trailer, click here:

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101021202/story.html

#88158 12/01/02 02:06 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
it looks fabulous! I saw the trailer the other night, and they finally showed a shot of Fangorn. going to be amazing! I can't wait either. we got the Director's cut of Fellowship. very well done. just not enough time to watch it as often as I'd like!

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The QuickTime player required to view the Two Towers movie trailer IS LOADING DAMAGED FILES (not viruses, I scanned them, dunno what the corruption is, but). It will not play any video, movies, or clips without freezing up and/or automatically re-starting your PC. DO NOT DOWNLOAD QUICKTIME! And if you uninstall you can't delete the Extension Files without impairing other applications, and the Quicktime remnants will not allow Windows Media Player or RealPlayer to run, so it's a real mess (my PC wants me to reinstall QuickTime to view any video now). Take $8.00 and go see a movie if you want to catch the trailer, it'll be a lot cheaper than all the time and aggravation I just wasted over this (and with no solution yet in sight, evidently).

AppleŽ If this is any indication, y'all can have your Mac-yak-yak-yaks!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
sorry to hear about your troubles, Whit. my guess is that they are encoded with QT 6, or mpg4, which not much will play yet.
I will check on this on another list, if you don't mind me using your info(anonymously, of course). see if we can't find out more about this.
I'll wait until your reply, before I go ahead with it.

edit: well, I decided not to wait, hehe. so we'll see what we get.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
etaoin, I have three files from the QuickTime 6 package showing up as damaged in my "Downloaded Program Files" window: two QuickTime Plugin Class Files and one QuickTimeCheck ActiveXControl Files, but they all show up as "ActiveX" files in their respective "preferences". The "6" is an upgrade beyond my Windows Media Player and RealPlayer capabilities, so that may be why QuickTime, even though supposedly uninstalled, is taking precedence. And may also confirm your explanation for the problems. There are still 20 files from the QuickTime package showing up on my system even after uninstalling (the window warned not to uninstall all the files or problems could result, and showed two 'remove' buttons, suggesting the more limited one). Still, the remianing files seem to include the main QuickTime File of 4,370 KB and other major KB files that I assume should have been removed when uninstalling the program...so I don't get it???
The window in the "Add/Remove" section said the uninstallation was complete.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Whit: I haven't heard anything from my other list yet, and unfortunately, I know little about PC's, but I would try the uninstall again, and use the less limited one, and see what you get. sometimes uninstalls take a few times to really get everything, silly as that sounds. also, have you rebooted since the uninstall? also worth a try.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Addendum: BTW, the QuickTime shortcut on my Desktop and it's listing in my Start Menu program files is gone, but the icon keeps popping up in my taskbar near the clock, no matter how many times I uninstall it from the Add/Remove???
It's like I stepped on flypaper, I can't get rid of it!

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
etaoin: I clicked on that QuickTime icon in the taskbar and went in and deactivated all the MIME Settings, and on that menu there was a little checked box at the bottom that read "check here to install icon in the taskbar time tray"...so I unchecked it. The icon is gone and QuickTime is not blocking my Windows Media Player anymore...so that's solved. But I still have those 20 dormant (hopefully) QuickTime files sitting in my C: Drive taking up space...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
hey, that's good news!
well, I'm hornswaggled why you just couldn't go in and delete all the leftover QT files... maybe they're just there for that menu bar thingy?
glad things are looking up. I went to Harry Potter 2, which was great, much better than 1, and that's where I saw the trailer.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Well, etaoin, if you hear that QuickTime 6 is causing problems for other folks, please let us know...

Thanks for your help.

In the meantime, getting this thread back on track , here's the link for the LOTR Homepage:

http://lordoftherings.net

And would you believe I finally got around to seeing Harry Potter I this holiday weekend at my relatives' house?

And don't forget, if you have the SciFi Channel, a new Steven Spielberg original epic miniseries, Taken, about alien abduction, begins tomorrow (Monday) night (Dec. 2) at 9 pm EST. I loved what he did with Close Encounters of the Third Kind, so I'm looking forward to this!

M
old hand
old hand
M
It's like I stepped on flypaper, I can't get rid of it!

!!!!!!!!!!!! How I laughed at this one!

Hey Whit, how about you and I get together and write a musical of The Two Towers? [wide-eyed innocent e] I want to cast Michael Jackson as Gollum, though.

(like you, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS MOVIE!)

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Well I find that 95% of all attempts to watch any video footage via Microsoft Windows and the internet is a failure for any of several reasons. I can't understand why they can't just create a damn program, use it, and leave it alone. All these ridiculous "upgrades" and what-not...ugh. Terrible. Macs rule.

Anyway, back to LOTR. I saw the previews the other night when I saw "Solaris." There was a brief glimpse of my favorite creatures, the Ents. Looks to be a good film.

#88169 12/02/02 05:54 PM
veteran
veteran

LOTR and The Silmarilion were the last books I read before I left home. I've been waiting 25 years to be able to enjoy these movies. I'm elated that both my kids enjoy them - particularly my youngest. She and I have watched the first movie about 5 times - this last time with the expanded and previously removed scenes. We're on eggshells waiting for the 18th. But we probably won't try to watch till a week or two after that. Wife is pissed that we don't just wait till it comes out on video - "think of the money you'd save!" She can't imagine anyone - let alone an adult - getting so worked up over a book, let alone a movie, let alone a movie based on a book of fantasy.

I hope this ushers in a new age of longer movies - we are willing to sit through 4 and 5 hours if you give us something worth watching. (I'd like to see a 4 or 5 hour movie of War and Peace, for example, with better selection from the book and a more realistic choice for Pierre than Henry Fonda.)

A big part of the reason we're into it is because the original story was so wonderful, so complete, so consistent (not perfect, but pretty good for such a grand story), so exciting, so intriguing. It's a great story. Also, Jackson made reasonable compromises with the original (so far), and made excellent casting decisions. The choice of Frodo was a bull's eye, imo, (both my daughters say he's the worst one, though). Saruman and Gandolf are also bull's eyes. Contrast this with HP where the actor doing the main character is a handsome boy, but he lacks any charisma, let alone any talent for acting. (Admittedly he's much better in the second than the first movie, but still he still needs work.) Another good thing is that computer animation is finally catching up with the artist's vision. Bad graphics really spoil the effect. He didn't just slap this thing together - he has some respect for the viewers, some empathy for those of us who have been waiting a lifetime to see vision on screen, and an obvious love for the stories himself. It ain't just about making money. This is one of the few movies I've seen on the big screen that I think was really worth the money I paid for it. I'd have paid a lot more, too, and still felt like I got a bargain.

k

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I went to Harry Potter 2, which was great, much better than 1

I agree 2 was better than 1, without in any way decrying 1 which I thoroughly enjoyed. The comment from a critic over here left me ...well... He said the trouble with the film was that it stuck too closely to the book. Chris Columbus hadn't brought any fresh creativity to it!

Okay. I can see that for well established books, Shakespeare's plays, Pride and Prejudice and so on, there is scope after some years to explore the effects of varying the way you play the characters to give a different perspective on what is going on between those characters and that can be fascinating. But Harry Potter? Surely not..or not yet at least!

Really looking forward to The Two Towers, although without wishing to carp I do have a problem with the orcs. In the books they come over as having leathery hides and horny hands; in the films they seem like something out of Alien - sort of oily and dripping. For some reason that jars on me, as if the orcs are a modern anachronism.

veteran
veteran

"He said the trouble with the film was that it stuck too closely to the book."

The guy had to be kidding. My daughters and I agree that a problem was the books didn't stick closely enough with the original. Oldest was very irritated with the first movie as it left so much stuff out. However, youngest and I both liked well enough, and we all three liked the second movie much better.

The story was a bit disconnected, though, and there were few of the actors I thought really did their parts well - Dumbledore, Snape (kids didn't like him, but I thought he was great), Hermione. We agree that actor playing HP was too deadpan. We disagree in that I didn't think the guy playing Hagrid was all that great, nor very many of the others. (Though I really liked all the Dursely characters.) I also loved that guy selling wands - he was cast really well, I thought.

Now that Sir Richard is gone, I hope Patrick Stewart reads for the part. (My kids want Ian McKellan to do it, but I think the Saruman guy would be much better.) Also, it would be really good if they could bring Derek Jacoby in on a good part. I love that guy.

k

#88172 12/02/02 07:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
For a previous and rollicking discussion of LOTR, just after the The Fellowship of the Ring came out, new folks can click here:

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=49270

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I want to cast Michael Jackson as Gollum, though.

Dunno about that, mg...Gollum still has something of a nose left. And it would be really hard for me to do that to my all-time favorite monster! I can just hear him screaming now:

"Michael Jacksssssssssson!??? Asssssssss me!?
Ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeit!"

veteran
veteran

"I want to cast Michael Jackson as Gollum, though."

Not to mention that this might be overkill on the gorey department. As if the Uruk ai weren't gruesome enough.

k

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My daughters and I agree that a problem was the books didn't stick closely enough with the original.

huh?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
huh?

I couldn't a said it better myself.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, strangely enough, there's been very little response from my other list, but here's what has come back so far:

In reply to:

The link on Apple's site is serving up bad files. If you go to http://www.lordoftherings.net you can get the trailer that works.

However, perhaps there's a more systemic problem on their system than QT. Even a totally hosed QT install should do nothing to RealPlayer or Windows Media Player.

you didn't mention the site from which you had downloaded, so maybe both sites are goofy?

not a whole lot of help, I know, but anyway, I'll give more if I get more.

veteran
veteran

My daughters and I agree that a problem was the books didn't stick closely enough with the original.

huh?

Typo ... er .. a thinko ... er ... yea

"My daughters and I agree that the problem was the movies didn't stick closely enough with the books."

k

#88179 12/02/02 10:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Good object lesson for the possibility of translating a book to film. The movie would have had to have been forty-eleven hours long. The 13 hour BBC I, Claudius series covered about half of the first book and one-tenth of the second.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Well, etaoin, I installed QT on the Netscape/CNN link, but that should be the same AppleŽ site, I'm assuming. The trailer downloads linked to this site (sans required step of QT installation), seem to be the same window as the official LOTR page.

One bad AppleŽ spoils the whole bunch, eh?!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yeah, it looks like the download links are the same; the watch live links are different, though, fat lot of good that does us(at least me on my 56k...)
anyway, only 16 days left!!

#88182 12/03/02 01:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Get a room, already.

#88183 12/03/02 02:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
><

Mourning Becomes Electra!

#88184 12/03/02 08:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Get a room, already.

yikes, one of them squinty-eyed half-Orcs from the south...

#88185 12/04/02 12:23 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Get a room, already

Well, don't worry eta, lemme just 'splain ya a little here...you see: AnnaS is deeply grieved to see the company that creates her beloved Mac showing up so wounded with an Achilles Heel by sending folks bad files in software downloads, and free ones at that! (nice of them, huh?) So I can fully understand AnnaS's distraught reaction. But it just goes to show ya:

You can't have your AppleŽ and eat it, too!

#88186 12/04/02 12:42 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
hehe. but be careful, Whit, you're speaking to a hardcore Mac addict...

#88187 12/04/02 01:44 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Hoot, mon, there's two of us (at least) !

#88188 12/06/02 04:20 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Hoot, mon, there's two of us (at least) !

ME THREE! ME THREE!

Hey, mebbe WE should get a room! Hmmmm. What could we do with it....

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I don't know if this is because of Quick Time or what it is, but I had Quick Time already on my computer, and then when I wanted to see the trailer for the new Star Trek film, the site insisted I download a new version of Quick Time. I did so, and absolute chaos resulted. The next time I tried to start up my computer I got lots of hardware not recognised messages. Every time I start the computer it keeps telling me it can't connect me to a network. I can't connect to my ISP. It wants me to phone a USn phone no. to find my nearest ISP.

And what's more, my friendly IT guy at work is on holiday so I can't ask him what to do.

Bingley

Bingley
#88190 12/20/02 02:53 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, I saw it tonight, and boy am I disappointed. Peter Jackson has betrayed my trust. I won't spoil anything, but he made(I think) totally unneccesary changes.
beautiful and amazing visually, but Tolkien is cringing.

#88191 12/20/02 09:04 AM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I also saw it Thursday night, it was released here on Wednesday. I agree the changes were puzzling, though they didn't spoil the film for me. It was ...EPIC. Some of the changes did perhaps get information across that would have taken considerable extra footage otherwise.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith