Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
old hand
old hand
M
Uh...once it is agreed that "worse" can be modified by number then it semantically sound to modify that grouping by degrees of "worse". As in...

The three worst teams in the NFL are the Bears, the Giants, and the Jets. And the worst of these are the Jets.

(Of course they are not. But it is linguistically correct to say so.)

W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Milo: "The three worst " Go way back and sit down.

Of course, if a group of sports writers each picked the team they thought was the worst,
they might well choose three different teams. Then you would have three "worst" teams.
But only one choice could be correct.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"This is worst of all worst worsts! that hell could have devis'd." - Ben Jonson, Epicoene: or the silent woman

J
old hand
old hand
J
So you're saying that it would be incorrect to say: "That's one of the worst books I've ever read."?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"But what is worst of worsts, (Lord) often I Have cry'd to Thee, a stranger to my cry." - Francis Quarles, Job Militant

#86898 11/16/02 06:34 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
..three actors. One is worst at remembering his lines, another is worst at speaking clearly while the third is worst at understanding the character...

You can't compare apples and oranges and have a valid comparison. If one actor is worst in one dimension and the others are deficient in other ways, which you should choose depends on your relative weighting of the parameters.

Going back to the original query: when all three choices are bad, one takes the least bad, acknowleging it perhaps to be the best of a sorry lot. "Least worst" could be given in mock innocence: humorous and childlike language used to emphasize a point with cuteness. But not grammatically accurate, as Bill was the first to point out.

Edit: Guess I should have read to the end of the thread before replying ! My points have already been expressed.

M
old hand
old hand
M
armed robbery would definitely be the least worst of the three

But you wouldn't describe it in those terms, would you? You'd use a term that could be qualified:

Armed robbery is the least heinous of the three.

Then there's Jazzo's question about "That's one of the worst books I've ever read." I reckon that's all right, because in that sentence, you're talking about a grouping; the book to which you refer is one of a group of the worst. Within the group of books which you consider to be the worst you've ever read, there must be one that is more, ahem, heinous than the rest. That would be the worst book you'd ever read, because it was worse than all the bad ones. It would also be one of the worst books you'd ever read.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Within the group of books which I consider to be the worst I've ever read, there is a pessimal one.

(just to introduce a new word - from L. pessimus (worst), after optimal)

#86901 11/16/02 07:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Only because worstly hasn't been mentioned, and it seems to need to be here...worstly speaking.

And, worstly, we have the worst of the three worse...which is a lot more worse than the other two. So the other two have to be least worst..or, at least, least worse.

(Why do I suddenly feel like I'm caught up in R. D. Laing's Knots here? )

M
old hand
old hand
M
Ah ha Mister Bill! Now we are cooking. This is your grand chance. Find that bunch of God appointed authorities that make up the rules for the usage of the English language. These faceless cowards have hidden in their towers for far too long, while we, the common speakers, argue back and forth in our ignorance. Ferret them out, Brother Bill, bring them before us by name. No more will we be uncertain of the words we say. Their time of secrecy has caused us much grief. Find that secret URL site. They are unique. They are the best. They are all things superlative.

(And I bet they are all prissy Frenchmen.)

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith