Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
#86440 11/28/02 09:15 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
consensequated (con-SENS-qu-ate-ed) to give sensory information of the consequences of actions gone before.

example: The information...was directly consensequated by the harsh reality of nature.

#86441 11/28/02 09:42 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
consensequated (con-SENS-qu-ate-ed)

I thought it was a SIX-syllable word. Si?

This is starting to sound like "After I zoquo, I like to ushnu." !

#86442 11/29/02 11:27 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
In reply to:

Nice, Alex, but no real continuity, Art! Tell me?

Can somebody translate the above quote into English for me please? ;)

#86443 11/29/02 01:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
They are calling me to Thanksgiving dinner, and I kid you not.

That's a copout and you know it, Mr. Minderbinder. You coulda done tole 'em you were watching a important football game an' couldn't come just right now. Harrumph!®

#86444 11/29/02 04:41 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
I think I'd better move my points forward a little faster, I think Wofdoc is getting a little bored. Alex is asking for clarifications and faldage's mood is one of detached mild amusement, So...

The advent of language inaugurated a new world where outright lies could be used to perpetuate and enhance the role of the individual to the detriment, or conversely, to the benefit, of the larger group. Quickly it became important to determine which was which.

One way to prevent the spread of lies was to reject all new information. This included information that was transmitted of the mores of other cultures. We still do this.

Another way was to only accept new information from ingroup sources who are considered wise. We still do this too.

The first way never works. Cultures, like people, evolve. Mid-eastern culture is experiencing the foibles of their restrictive mindset while you read. This is so because in a common mindset most all values are intergraded into a belief-system whole. Remove the wrong domino and the system fails and falls.

The second way of protecting against individuals who lie is even worse. Such is the nature of language animals that they will tell the greatest and grandest of lies in order to gain comfort and to insure that a comfortable station is given to the products of their loins. The most cunning become professionals and wrap their profession in high-sounding words that unhappily allows them to persist through time. The greatest offenders are kings, lawyers, doctors, preachers*, teachers*, and scientists* (an asterisk because they get new recruits that believe their own propaganda.) These lies are the stuff of class snobbery, a shameful but functional farce. The problem with this system is that new information is directed toward these self-aggrandized folk before it (rightly or wrongly)can be accessed and assimilated into the group as a whole.

So now we come to the set of pre-ordained conditions that will lie to us about what we should call Art.

(Uh, oh...It's time for me to go play tennis. I've been thrown out of the group for almost a year now, so I feel that today I should be on time.)

To be continued...

#86445 11/30/02 02:02 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Milo....YOU PLAY TENNIS????!!!!!

#86446 11/30/02 12:47 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

The greatest offenders are kings, lawyers, doctors, preachers*, teachers*, and scientists* (an asterisk because they get new recruits that believe their own propaganda.)

...and Southern *Good Ol' Boys layin' a line on a body. Southern bullsh*t is an art form in a class of its own.

#86447 11/30/02 05:01 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Why yes modgod, I do, or did. Until about a year ago I played at least three times every week. Yesterday I went to the courts to play with my former tennis partners...nobody showed up. Maybe they forgot. Maybe they are still mad. I don't care, they were always jealous of my greater strength, speed and skill. I am going to find me some new partners, and this time they are going to be men.

ON ART

// ///
NO TRA

A good place to start when explaining Art is to explain what its not. First, Art is not nature. Our eyes, within our lifetime frames a billion billion pictures of this world so you would think that at least one of them, by pure chance, would be Art. Its not. What you see is real and sometimes beautiful, but unless you experience a work of manmade Art you haven't seen Art. Truth and beauty is not Art.

Well then is music Art? No! Especially when accompanied by words that you can understand. Opera has a tough time rising to the status of Art, but many operatic works have great moments of high art. I introduce this example to underline the temporal nature of Art. Two quick analogies...

The first time we heard Beethoven's Fifth we said, "pretty dern good, a bit long, but good". The next time we heard it we comprehended the unity of all parts and we were moved to transcendent heights, far above sex and cracklin' cornbread. Then we played it over and over until it lost its shine.
The Chinese Commies drove men slap crazy by playing Beethoven's Fifth morning, noon, and night for weeks on end.

Some nice people on this board regard Leonardo da VInci's painting Mona Lisa as a (spit) portrait of a sick-looking broad. I don't think so. I just pulled up the Mona Lisa for reviewing and gazed into her eyes trying hard to find the secret of her smile. Then it struck me. Little Willie John was right. The Mona Lisa was a man! An effeminate man but none-the-less a man.

Maybe I'm wrong. But the point is that Art is only Art when viewed, felt, smelled, or otherwise sensed, at the moment of the sub-conscious transfer of a shared secret or joke or insight into the mystery of being alive. And the more you bring to the table the more you will be satisfied with the fare.

But music aside, poems and literature are th

#86448 11/30/02 05:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The Mona Lisa was a man!

You wouldn't say that if you'd seen the *real Mona Lisa. The one you've seen is a bad imitation from one of Leonardo's students. I have, through great investigative effort, uncovered a reproduction of the original on the web.

http://www.envisage1.com/bgmedia/monadebi.jpg

#86449 11/30/02 06:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But music aside, poems and literature are th

and so it was that at this point milum was struck mute (typographically) by Saint Luke, Patron Saint of the Arts.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,226 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith