Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
...or some arbitrarily-chosen shorter period (but remember, the millennium is fast coming to a close ;)

> Could someone get away with a completely different character from his/her own?

I suppose that I have one of the more obvious* personas (personae?) around here; and I have certainly left a lot of tracks -- so here's the challenge: compose a bio for tsuwm*; gender and age should be easy, but what about interests other than words, politics, religion, thickness of skin, etc. two categories: originality and closest to the mark. I will consider this a learning experience. 8^)

*the supreme universal [word] master?? get real!!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Anna is hereby acknowledging the challenge, but not yet rising to meet it.

J
old hand
old hand
J
Since I've left you all with a yearning for a Capricious Piffle for a while, I feel obligated to take a whack at this.

It was a cool, autumn day on the little Pacific island of Tao Pulai when a small package fluttered to the beach from who knows where. It was a lazy day, so most were unaware of the occurance. Osaki Bumbo, a poor fisherman living on the island, was meandering along the coast when he came upon the teal package. The old man opened the unattended parcel. Somewhat shocked, he took a step back. Slumbering peacefully within was a tiny baby boy, nestled among what appeared to be the crumpled folios of a yellowed addition of the Samuel Johnson dictionary. Being such a fine day, Osaki was in a congenial mood and decided to take the baby home to his village with him. The little boy was well accepted in the tribal community and lived there for the better part of his childhood. He spent much of his time reading, juggling, fishing for bicycles and playing the bagpipes. But as was the tribal custom, at the age of 5, all young boys were submitted to tribal vote on whether or not they could remain in the village. Seen as a bit of an outsider already, on his fifth birthday, the little boy was swiftly voted off the island and shipped to Minnesota, where, after attending Harvard University at the ripe old age of 6, he became a garbage man. He served in this position until he was 23, when he was promoted to President of the Financial Institute of Sartorial Humbuggery, an occupation which he still holds. In his free time he enjoys eavesdropping, weather forecasting, pole vaulting, playing water polo, darning socks, yawning, armed robbery and, of course, etymology. Thus is the tale of the rather obscure life of our dear friend, Tsuwm.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
I shed a tear over Jazzo's sorry story, but I heard it differently, from a reliable source...

There once was a bright young man who went to the hills of Minnesota to live with and care for his sick old aunt after her husband passed away. Being an orderly person by nature, he cleaned the cottage meticulously, chopped firewood and cooked her three tasty meals a day. After years of this work, he found he was becoming exhausted and began to take respite from the housework - initially short rests but gradually longer and longer - by perusing his aunt's large collection of dusty old tomes about language, poring over the seemingly endless supply of obscure words he found therein and marveling at the linguistic fun of it all.

Over the years he gradually cared less and less for his aunt, and more and more for his words, to the point where the old lady's health declined, until she eventually died. By then, however, the man's addiction to his hobby was so great that he did not even notice her death. Her body gradually decomposed, rodents fed upon her flesh, and one day a bear tried to make off with her remains, but the body became caught and the animal had to abandon the effort, leaving the broken skeleton slumped against an outside wall of the cottage.

A passing hunter spotted the body and called the local police. The sheriff, a French detective named Poirot, and his deputy duly arrived, to find the man inside the cottage, his nose buried in a large book. After a cursory investigation of the scene, the following conversation took place:

Sheriff (yawning and stretching): Deputy, read this man 'is rights, and arrest 'im for the murder of this woman. It's clear what's 'appened 'ere. 'E's killed 'er by throwing 'er body against the wall, he's 'acked off 'er flesh and left 'er lying 'ere as some sort of morbid trophy. For this despicable crime, 'e'll be flogged, imprisoned, maybe worse.

Accused Man: Cease your stultiloquy** and your pandiculation, you vermiform unipotent anachorism. This is sheer whigmaleerie. You wouldn't know the truth if you tumped it over. I came here in antemosiac times to care for this relict. For years I have been truly ruly, I have made her sipid meals, despite my defatigable disposition. Do you think my thanatophilia is so great that I would spanghew my aunt to death, excarnate her body and leave the evidence there for all to see! I am innocent! So your vopulatory plans are not only delible, they are full of inconcinnity. Here's what really happened...

Sheriff: Enough of this nonsense! Deputy, 'andcuff 'im.

Deputy: You want me to charge him?

Sheriff: Book'im. And I want to pursue a civil case against 'im for libel.

Deputy: You want me to instigate the necessary legal actions?

Sheriff: Yes. [Pointing at the man] Sue'im.
---
The name Sue'im stuck, although the court stenographer struggled with the spelling. Since nobody, not even the learned judge could understand more than a few words of his testimony, Tsuwm was found guilty of the murder, but was released on the grounds of diminished responsibility through word-induced insanity, on an undertaking that he never again appear in public. Thus Tsuwm became a recluse, his world restricted to just two sources of pleasure - the library which he inherited from his aunt, and his connection to the "real" world of words via his Internet connection.

**Acknowledgement to http://members.aol.com/tsuwm/, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about.

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
jazzy, that is sooo close to the mark it's not even funny... just change Harvard to the University of Southern North Dakota (at Hoople).

and marty, your entry has me bumfoozled!

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
In the beginning was the word. And the word was Aardvark. (This discounts “a,” which is indefinite, and unable to live unsupported by other words, and Aa, which is a fictional God-like essence invented by J.R.R.Tolkien)

But (to cut a long story short, and glossing over the gory details of creation) one word was not enough for a newly burgeoning world – especially when it was a Boering one like that – so it became necessary for a sub-creational functionary to be installed as a minor deity, with responsibility for universal (well- really planetary, but we all have to have some delusions of grandeur) etymological coherence.

There was no such being in existence, so one had to be created and, being created, had to be named. As it was deemed unseemly for the newly created sub-creational functionary to name itself, a title was hastily – and uninspiredly – invented (well - cobbled together would be nearer the mark – why can’t beings that create also create beings’ names with some imagination?)
The name chosen was, of course, The Sub-creational Universal Word Master.

F
veteran
veteran
F
the millennium is fast coming to a close

Yeah, very 'Fin de Cycle'.

J
old hand
old hand
J
jazzy, that is sooo close to the mark it's not even funny

You got voted off a little Pacific island when you were 5?

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
where do you think "they" got the idea for "Survivor"?!

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
WHAT THE NATIVES SUSPECT TSUWM TO BE:

....................TSUWMTSUWMTSUWMTSUWM
...................TSU......................................WM
..................T.SU......................................WM
.................T..SU......................................WM
................T...SU......................................WM
................T...SU......................................WM
.....................|...@@@@.................(on).......|
......................................TSUWM
......................................TSUWM
...........................TSUWMTSUWMTSUWM...
...........................TSUWMTSUWMTSUWM...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith