Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
#82468 10/14/02 08:26 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I never heard of sneezing due to bright lights. I have come out of many theaters, and
do not remember ever hearing a sneeze. So I have learned something. I found a site
with quote from a small "peer-reviewed quarterly journal", from which I took a pertinent
quote:
"The mechanism of the bright light sneeze reflex seems to be an association of optic nerve
fibers and trigeminal nerve nucleus in the mid-brain. The trigeminal nerve's second division
supplies sensory fibers to the nasal mucosa. It is postulated that nerve impulses travelling
up the optic nerve will cause a sympathetic discharge down the trigeminal nerve fibers.
Another mechanism postulates that partial squinting of the eyes resulting from the
bright light causes squeezing of the lacrimal sac which results in tears running down the
nasolacrimal duct into the nasal cavity, causing stimulation ofthe nasal cavity and a sneeze. "

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
am i the only one here who makes serial sneezes? i almost never sneeze a single time, but 3 to 5 to 7 sneezes in a row...sometimes immediately one after another, sometimes with a few seconds between the sneezes.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Helen, I don't enjoy multiple sneezes as often as I'd like, but I do know men envy them. <ahem>

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm glad I'm not the nitpicker here anymore

"Tell the big lie often enough and soon everyone will believe you"
--Goebbels

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

WW said that staring at the sun was a stupid thing to do if you wanted to screw up your
vision.

Oh, come on, Faldage. Give me a break here. I took it back, didn't I? Didn't I write way up there, even before Cap Ki's snap-on hoods for the Klan, that I shoulda written that staring at the sun is a stupid thing to do, and it will screw up your vision?

Is my originally poorly phrased phrase going to huant me to the end of my days here on AWAD? Am I to be forever pursued by men with snap-on hoods picking my nits, even after apologizing for 'em? Whaddaya want me to do? Go run into a wall or somefin?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I knew a girl in college who was a repeat sneezer- 72 times at one count...crazy at a party...
for me, usually two or three at a sneezing.
bright lights don't do it for me.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I know I'm biased here, WW, but it wasn't Faldage who brought this up again. <ahem>

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Please forgive a switch to a slightly different photic reflex. A friend who owned a Piper Cub
aircraft took up a student, who attempted to land heading toward the setting sun. He
had an epileptic seizure, and only prompt administration of Bulgarian anaesthesia using the
fire extinguisher enabled my friend to regain control of the plane and land safely. The student
later told him that flickering lights such a sun through the propeller could cause him to have
a seizure. I had never heard of it, and was tempted to think it was nonsense. But I found out
that it is a recognized entity. Here's
a URL:http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/photofrm.html

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

I know I'm biased here, WW, but it wasn't Faldage who brought this up again. <ahem>

OK. I'm confused, but what's new? All I know is I haven't read this thread for a while, and this afternoon I decided to see what was going on...on the sneeze thread. I mean, how much can we really write about sneezing? This isn't exactly one of those threads that you have to read carefully three times a day to keep up with.

And what should I find here, on Oct. 14th, but Faldage still going at poor WW over what I'd said not very well, but then straightened out...you know?

I like what Sparteye said, however, about sneezing in bright lights because I know it took her a while to key it in.

...Why not?...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When prompted by some allergic reaction, such as an abundance of dust, I will continue sneezing until I can get my hands on a wad of Kleenex. I think my personal record is somewhere in the twenties. Too much of a good thing eventually gets to be boring . The best sneeze I ever had in my life was this past spring. If only I knew exactly how I performed that chiropractic sneeze I'd do that one again and again and again......I felt wonderful for days after. *sigh*

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith