Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sheep's
Pig's

And your dad's, apparently.

#79401 09/04/02 01:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have some weird ideas for menu planning. One meal is one in which you eat only food where there's more left over after you're done than there was when you started. Examples: Corn on the cob steamed in the husk, artichokes and lobster. Another is foods that you have to turn your head sideways to eat. Hard-shelled tacos spring to mind for that one. I had some other items on the bill of fare but can't remember any of them off hand.

#79402 09/04/02 01:16 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: Heard about the King who lost one of the family jewels? He took consolation
in the fact that he was monorch of all he surveyed.

One bit of trivia: animals will not eat raw beans. They have an agent that inactivates
an essential digestive enzyme - trypsin, I think.

#79403 09/04/02 01:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Good one, Dr Bill!

#79404 09/05/02 08:48 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yup, oftroy, masa is the word, but really, all it means is dough. There are several bean varieties that are staples below the Rio Grande. Pinto and black beans come to mind most readily. Can't say as I ever found lima beans in Mexico and I am a big fan of lima beans and butter beans, when cooked properly(not all dried up). DubDub's recipe sounds yummy, but I'll pass on the mountain oysters. Aside to DubDub I don't think the etymology of orchid would tell you more than a good long look at the blossom would in this case but, I could be wrong and am too lazy to LIU when the comparison is obvious to me

#79405 09/23/02 12:46 AM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I would like to know whether anybody here has actually seen a real banana slug that was ten inches long. That mental image is really disgusting to me. I can't believe something so disgusting hasn't been brought to the foreground of our cultural consciousness. Never even heard of banana slugs till last night...

My cousin moved out to vancouver a few years ago, and brought back reports of these things being far to big to dare stepping on (unless you've got a good stomach). I really do think they get that big. And it made me think I didn't want to visit.

As for the beer trick mentioned, it does work, at least on the little ones in our lot. My brother used to deliver for a company that sold microbrews, and he'd bring home a case or two of the stuff gone bad, which we'd use on the pests. A gourmet death...

Refering to the even earlier post, I'm not sure about the razor trick. There's a deterrent used called Diatomaceous Earth that's supposed to be disastrous for soft bodied pests. Perhaps the uniform surface of a razor blade is fine - I don't know. Here's a description of the stuff I found:

Diatomaceous Earth
The fossilized shells and skeletons of a type of ancient algae are mined and packaged as diatomaceous earth. This powder looks like fine clay dust, but the edges of each particle are razor sharp. When soft~bodied insects encounter diatomaceous earth, they suffer numerous small abrasions that often result in death. Diatomaceous earth, often abbreviated as DE, is widely available at garden centers and through mail~order companies. It is different from (and much safer than) the DE used in swimming pool filters.

To control leaf-eating insects, spray plants with water, then dust them with diatomaceous earth while the leaves are wet. When applying it by hand, wear a dust mask to keep from breathing the particles. As long as your air passages are protected, you can apply DE by placing a small amount in a paper bag with several small holes punched in it and shaking it among plant leaves.

You also may lay diatomaceous earth on the soil to discourage slugs, cutworms, and other soft~bodied soil dwellers. When setting out cabbage, broccoli, and other brassicas, a small amount of DE sprinkled into the planting holes will provide some protection against root maggots. Diatomaceous earth is good for the soil, as it contains more than a dozen trace minerals.

Ali

#79406 09/23/02 01:04 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Seian: I hadn't heard of using diatomacious earth before. Sounds like a good idea.
to spread it, perhaps just the foot of an old rayon stocking would make good applicator.
Store in a small jar.

#79407 09/24/02 03:31 AM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Good idea, WWH. I think when you buy little amounts it comes in a shaker can, but invariably when needing quantity for gardening, products comes in paper sacks.

We fortunately haven't had too many slugs since our all out war with beer and the diatomaceous earth a couple years ago - so I guess it worked! We try to stay organic and have managed it except for the roses for a couple years running. Organic gardening does turn up the more curious solutions.

Ali

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 435 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith