Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#79050 08/26/02 10:49 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I find it interesting that most of the threads in this forum have to do with the current state of our schools; specifically, what is wrong with them -- none of these threads has to do with the forum's ostensible raison d'être. Is this indicative of our school systems' lack of interest in or unwillingness to pursue vocabulary and grammar issues beyond a very basic level?

#79051 08/27/02 09:27 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I suppose it may show that AWAD is not being used in any school, at least by any teacher who posts here.

As far as vocabulary studies go, a close friend of mine--a high school guidance counselor--says that she advises students to read as much as possible on a wide range of subjects. From what she's learned over the years about high scores on the SAT (a least), the best predicter of high achievement in the vocabulary part of the test is a student's reading habits, even over the study of foreign language. I have no idea how true this is, but that's her opinion based on what she's read.

Just an aside: I love working the analogy parts of the test. (Are they being dropped out?) I didn't like the reading parts because I like to read slowly and can't stand being forced into speed reading.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When I was in 6th grade, I had a teacher that insisted we learn speedreading. I hated it. We had to write a book report every night on a book that we had read using his method. I read a book a night, alright, but by MY method. Once in awhile, if I didn't feel like reading, I would write a report on a book I had read before the whole nightmare started. I see no value in "skimming" being called "reading".

#79053 08/27/02 11:09 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I detest speed reading. It really puts pressure on my psyche.

Now skimming to quickly find a fact I need---that's different. But speed reading an entire complex passage? That just shuts me down. I have a huge mental block against it. I also took a speed reading course while in high school that was supposed to help with the SAT;s. I honestly think that was counter-rpoductive for me. My hat's off to those who speed read well, but I'm just not made out of similar stuff. It's a nightmare to me, too, Consuelo.

#79054 08/27/02 12:12 PM
veteran
veteran

I'm not a teacher myself, except insofar as all good parents are their children's first teachers. Still I have opinions and I sometimes offer them up - sometimes after they are solicited, but more often when they are not.

Last year, I recommended this site (among others) in an email to my children's teachers and to the principal of their school. I also briefly mentioned different ways that it might be used. I will make the same recommendation again this year. (New teachers, but also a new school. I also recommended several puzzle sites, science how-to sites, among others.)

Having always considered language development of paramount importance, I read several books to my kids -- from Winnie the Pooh and The Phantom Tollbooth to I, Robot and and The Call of the Wild. http://www.geocities.com/elbillaf/amys_list.html

Nowadays, they pretty much read on their own and I often miss reading to them. It was a great time of closeness for us. But their independence has its benefits as well. My oldest did 6 or 8 issues of a "newspaper" (actually a newsletter, I think) to her 6th grade class last year. And now my youngest is writing a family "newspaper" once a week.

As I mentioned in some other thread (maybe that was on another board), I also play wordgames, card games (got thrashed just in poker by my eldest just last night), and do puzzles with them.

Without question, vocabulary is an important component of "language skills."
While I have always been one of those logic/math/science guys, I recognize that language development is the more critical skill.

Back to teachers using the site, though. No idea if my recommendations will take root. New ideas can take a while to percolate into the consciousness (of individuals and of groups). Teachers, like everyone else, are bombarded with recommendations some of which are probably useless wastes of time, and others of which might be of some utility were they easier and less time-consuming to become familiar with. BTW, I think teachers could "use the site" without being regular posters on here. Using the site might just mean getting the word a day or what have you. I'm sure they're often far to busy rounding up greased pigs to get involved in theoretical discussions.

As for students using the site directly - well, it may not be entirely appropriate for them. (I mean, I wouldn't mind my kids using it, but I think some parents would, and the school errs on the side of conservativism here - as I think they should.) At home I don't monitor their internet usage very closely. At school they're only allowed to go to certain sites and they're very closely watched.

I'm not optimistic that the teachers will spend a lot of time here. Still, I'll mention it.

k

#79055 08/27/02 12:39 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Well, I am a teacher. An elementary music teacher. And the way I've used this site for my job has been for clarification of points, but not something for my students to access. I doubt seriously children ages five to eleven would find much of interest here in our discussions, unless it were some kind of super-genius-type child with a broad understanding of experience. Not that we're geniuses or anything like that--but our level of conversation generally requires a lot of flexibility in understanding all we write about--especially when we're inserting humorous comments.

But: This is a wonderful source that I have used to clarify points. And I have asked questions here to help me clarify points made in class or that I want to make in class. Can't think of anything offhand for example. But, when you consider that we have writers here with such a broad range of knowledge, this is a great source, not just for refining definitions or looking for new words, but also for getting inside information, especially in science.

And the people on the board are so quick to respond to questions. That's a real virtue of the board, too.

I'm also a member of a nature board. When I've asked questions there, sometimes I've had to go as long as three weeks for a response. That's never the case here. Usually questions are answered within the hour, but at least within twenty-four hours if anyone has anything of value to offer. And then there are the wealth of links that members here will provide sometimes to help find out more about the subject.

I'd highly recommend this bulletin board to teachers as a source of information, and I have. But, to date, I'm the only teacher in my school who is interested in this board. I cannot understand it.

Best regards,
WW

#79056 08/27/02 02:30 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
no, I wouldn't expect AWADtalk to be of any use other than a resource for teachers; my question was directed towards Anu's (assumed) expectation that his site might be a resource for the classroom.

edit: (not so assumed, from 'forum information') Forum for educators to share their experiences in using AWAD in their classrooms.

#79057 08/29/02 11:34 AM
veteran
veteran

People do things that are simple, that look simple, and that show promise of immediate result. A survival skill in the rest of the work world is to learn how to avoid things that waste time, or blur the focus of one's objectives. I doubt it's any different with teachers.

AWAD might be a good resource for a certain kind of teacher - or it might be a good resource for all teachers. But unless they percieve immediate, simple, focused utility, I don't see many of them using it as a regular resource.

If the goal is to attract teachers, then Anu should ask "what is attractive to teachers?" Maybe a quickhelp giving them immediate suggestions on how to use AWAD for answers to common questions. For example, maybe teachers wouldn't be interested (immediately) in all the groups. Maybe they're only interested in one group - questions about words. Maybe they want quick access to the AWADmail and AWAD list, maybe pointers to useful word references (searchable awadmail archives?) I dunno.

k

#79058 09/07/02 06:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just an aside: I love working the analogy parts of the test. (Are they being dropped out?) I didn't like the reading parts because I like to read slowly and can't stand being forced into speed reading.

Well, there is one major change in the SATs I'm aware of. They are adding a spontaneous 20 minute essay (partly as a way to encourage an upswing in language skills which are sadly lagging in many areas) which will count for 600 points in an test now worth 1,800! My fifteen year old niece Kylene, a voracious reader and wonderful writer, is delighted...should be a cinch 600 points for her.
But my other niece, Megan (a college freshman and also a good writer), just missed the change. She also just missed getting accepted to Boston College and opted for the University of Maryland instead...I'm wondering if those essay points would've made a big difference?

I guess that essay would be an easy 600 points for most folks here, though!

#79059 09/08/02 06:16 AM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
It seems to me that AWAD can be deeply useful for students learning English as a foreign language.
In fact, it was the first reason I signed there.
I don't understand why we have no "signs of life" from teachers spread around the world?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith