Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo, sharkû.

Well! I guess he told you!

#78800 08/23/02 09:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Sorry I cannot figure out how to get to the home page...

ah, but that's another of the wunnerful things about Google -- extinct sites are cached therein for who knows how long; it's sorta like the Tar Pits.

#78801 08/23/02 10:09 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The Great and Powerful tsuwm observes:

"Ah, but that's another of the wunnerful things about Google -- extinct sites are cached therein for who knows how long; it's sorta like the Tar Pits.

And the Faldage on another thread calls Shapies "gazelles" and Magic Markers "moose"...

Metaphorical writing is alive and well on AWAD. Oh, happy day!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo, sharkûElen síla lúmenn' omentielvo, sharkû.

Oooooooo, sjm...that's dirty pool! I'm almost afraid to look up the translation for sharkû, but. The Wizard of WO'N is getting restless, so...!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well! I guess he told you!

Sure, sure, sure, Faldie...you're just gloating because our Elvish debate has distracted from your Nit Glossary, but. The flame is lit...the embers are beckoning...

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
Sharkû: (n)Black Speech - "old man"
Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo: Quenya - a star shines on the hour of our meeting

#78805 08/24/02 02:38 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
http://www.vegweb.com/glossary/

Chipotle
A dried and smoked jalapeno which can be found dried or reconstituted and sold in tomato sauce. These chiles are extremely hot and caution should be taken when using them in cooking.

Jicama (Yam Bean, Mexican Turnip)
Description. Jicama, a legume, is grown for the large tuberous roots which are eaten raw or cooked and are used as a source of starch. The jicama plant is a vine which grows to a length of 20 feet or more. Roots are light brown and may weigh up to 50 pounds. Most of those on the market weigh 3 to 5 pounds.

Culture. Jicamas are actually perennials and produce their large roots after several years of growth. They are commonly found in frost-free regions. In Texas, plant seed in the early spring and harvest small tubers before the first killing frost. The root or tuber initiation and development are dependent on photoperiod or length of day. Plants exposed to relatively long days of 14 to 15 hours do not produce tubers. Areas with mild fall or winter temperatures are best suited for yam bean production.

Selection. Jicamas are suitable for consumption at any growth stage (size). Look for well formed tubers that appear fresh and are free of cracks and bruises. Jicamas, like most other root crops, store for relatively long periods in refrigeration. However, conversion of starch to sugar occurs if stored for excessive periods and should be avoided.

Mole
An assortment of thick sauces used in Mexican cooking made of chiles. These sauces are made with one or many chiles, and flavored with cumin, coriander, cinnamon, nuts, seeds, and chocolate. Their flavor is rich, smoky, and very complex. Some recipes are made with fresh herbs and have a green color.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sharkû: (n)Black Speech - "old man"
Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo: Quenya - a star shines on the hour of our meeting

Well, thanks for saving me the footwork, kind sir, because I was going to look it all up and get back to you, I really was...er, I mean, the Wizard of WO'N was going to respond in due time, of course! But since you jumped the gun, here, let me say that I find "a star shines on the hour of our meeting" to be particularly nice and gracious, and I thank you for that, but. That OLD in "old man" has got to go!!! Er, let me retract that tongue thingy, and say, that, of course, all Wizards are ageless and we shall never succumb to such a lack of protocol as to be pigeon-holed into any caricature of age!
Therefore, sjm, while my Wand of merriment at your initial words remains in your favor, I'm sensing a Wanderlust of discontentment at your nefarious allusion to the mingling of age with my character, my image, my incarnation...so you just remember who you're messin' with, young man (chocking and gulping for air-e)...ah, oh, ahh, ye...uhgh, yes...that's better...remember you're merely a mortal, and must bow to the powers of my Wizardry! The full moon speaketh!...my Wand is aflame!...and, beware, for what you've heard is true!...J'pet le feux! J'pet le feux! (no need to look in the Elvish, it's French) Old, indeed!

#78807 08/24/02 02:46 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
http://nsidc.org/snow/glossary.html

Yet another definition of ablation:
the process of being removed. Snow ablation usually refers to removal by melting

depth hoar:
large (one to several millimeters in diameter), cohesionless, coarse, faceted snow crystals which result from the presence of strong temperature gradients within the snowpack

surface hoar:
the deposition (sublimation) of ice crystals on a surface which occurs when the temperature of the surface is colder than the air above and colder than the frost point of that air

graupel:
snowflakes that become rounded pellets due to riming. Typical sizes are two to five millimeters in diameter (0.1 to 0.2 inches). Graupel is sometimes mistaken for hail.
This stuff is hell to drive on. It feels like you're skating on marbles.

#78808 08/24/02 02:57 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
http://www.tcmall.com/nauticalknowhow/GLOSSARY.htm

Bitter end:
The last part of a rope or chain.The inboard end of the anchor rode

Coaming:
A vertical piece around the edge of a cockpit, hatch, etc. to prevent water on deck from running below.

Lazarette:
A storage space in a boat's stern area.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 159 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith