Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

#78790 08/23/02 06:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A Glossary of Faldagian Nits

Here we have a rare opportunity to create a glossary unique to the AWAD experience, and chronicle the many fine points taken by our one-and-only Faldage along the way. And, so, it is with great honor that I respectfully begin the list by presenting this first entry:

1. seen: any tense of the verb "to see"

#78791 08/23/02 06:58 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Help! Faldage has glossolalia! Speaking in tongues! or tons of glossaries.
Now, Faldage, how about some posts on the interesting words therein?

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>the one, the only, language of Middle Earth

Quenya, Sindarin, Westron, the Black Speech - "the one and only" was just to tempting a nit to let crawl past.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quenya, Sindarin, Westron, the Black Speech - "the one and only" was just to tempting a nit to let crawl past.

Ah, but my good sir, these are all considered Elven tongues:

Parma Eldalamberon (Quenya: 'The Book of Elven Tongues')
Parma is a journal of linguistic studies of fantasy literature, especially of the Elvish languages and nomenclature in the works of J.R.R.Tolkien. It is published at irregular intervals as sufficient material becomes available. Submissions are welcome.

http://www.eldalamberon.com/parma9.html

Also: http://elvish.org

But, I assure you, sjm, that your challenge to a wizard will not render you more vulnerable to the wrath of Sauron, should you venture into the passages of my power's jurisdiction...

#78794 08/23/02 07:51 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
OK, wwh.

The wine glossary didn't include must, but I've been a-googlin' and have a few entries for you:

"Vinification: traditional off-the-skins white wine-making method with soft pressing: cold racking of the must, fermentation in pressure tanks at 18-20'C with an over-pressure of 0.5 bar. "

"Vinification: traditional crushing with de-stemming, fc)llowed by controlled temperature fermentation with frequent pumping over of the must. The maceration lasts 8-10 days. "

http://www.luigigiordano.it/vini_en.htm

And [ta-da!]:

"Must: The liquid (mostly) portion of freshly crushed grapes (before fermentation). Includes pulp, skins, seeds, juice and bits of stem. "

http://www.marylandwine.com/wineries/glossary/wineterms2.html

And the above is still another wine glossary.

Beverage regards,
WineWind

#78795 08/23/02 08:01 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Google is weird. I can get the cached page for the wine glossary I mentioned just above, but I cannot get to the site itself. No way. So that glossary is only available on google is you cache it.

However, on that "L" page are some terms that are just so cool (look at legs) that I'll paste 'em here:

Late Harvest: Name given to dessert or full-bodied table wines produced from overripe grapes.

Leaf axil: The acute angle between a vine shoot and a leaf stem or petiole extending from the shoot. Buds develop in these axils just above each leaf petiole.

Lees: The sediment which settles to the bottom of the wine in a tank during processing. If primarily yeast, as from a fermentation, it is called "yeast lees;" if sediment from fining, it is called "fining lees."

Legs: Term referring to the colorless droplets which form along the inside wall of a wine glass, just above the surface the wine.

Limousin: A type of French oak for used to make barrels. Its grain is less tight and more open than others, allowing the oak flavor to become extracted out of the wood quickly.

I mean we've got limousines and stretch limousines (which bore me to death), but look at that "limousin" above! Oak wood! Less tight grain! Oak flavor entering the wine! That has just got to be the coolest thing to think about. Sorry I cannot figure out how to get to the home page of this particular glossary. It's better than the first one I posted based on this single page.

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
Ah, but my good sir, these are all considered Elven tongues:

No, they're not, and anybody who tries to say otherwise is just plain wrong. Quenya, Sindarin and The Black Speech are all derived from elven, but that doesn't make them "one and only" any more than English and Sankrit are one because of both being derived from PIE. In the spirit of nitpickery/fanmania, it could also be pointed out that even in your glaringly incorrect response, you said that these are all considered elven tongues which in itself makes a mockery of your earlier "one and only" assertion. There are also dwarvish and Entish two definitely non-elven languages only sketchily developed by Tolkien.Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah, ssssssssssjm...you could be right. But it'sssssssss very dangerousssssssssss to be dissssssstracted with nittery whilsssssssst Gollum isssssssssss lurking! However, the Elvisssssssh glossssssssssssssarriesssssssssssssssss prevail!

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
Ah, ssssssssssjm...you could be right. But it'sssssssss very dangerousssssssssss to be dissssssstracted with nittery whilsssssssst Gollum isssssssssss lurking!

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo, sharkû.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 703 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith