Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#7862 10/25/00 07:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
OK.
We call 'em "lunchroom ladies."

And no, I don't know what Toad in the Hole is and I'm too lazy to LIU. Please enlighten. And then maybe I'll tell y'all what Monkey Bread is. Maybe.

#7863 10/25/00 07:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Definitely a pudding rather than a dessert<
Well, Stateside, a pudding, (aside from plum pudding, which is always from a tin) is a soft custard like food, almost always a dessert. Very similar to "bird's custard", only its usually served cold, rarely warm, and never as a sauce!
Cooked milk, sweetened and flavored, and thickened with corn starch (most common) or arrowroot and then cooled before serving-- and frequently topped with ersatz whipped cream.

Am I right in thinking Toad in the Hole is an egg fried (poached?) in a cut out circle of bread? But Frog Spawn? I have never even heard of that!

#7864 10/25/00 07:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I know what monkey bread is, Anna! Maybe we should let it
be our secret! Once I even made alligator bread! Wonder if any of 'em know what corn pone is?

I remember being a terrified six-year-old, following my mother's instructions to tell the lunchroom ladies that I wanted a "plate lunch", not having the faintest idea of what I would get. It cost 25 cents!

#7865 10/25/00 08:31 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Toad in the hole - not even warm - I'm sure you'll find a recipe if you search.

Frogspawn - a bit more esoteric (you just can't trust a fish), you really have to think 1960s/70s school meals for that one - I doubt you'll find a recipe.

#7866 10/25/00 08:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>The dessert, unfortunately, was unpeckable.<
Unpeckable is a new word for me, I know peckish, (desiring something to eat, is how I'd quickly define it) and presume unpeckable is in-edible. if I could figure out how to start a string i was wondering if any one else was interested in word that exist only with prefixes or suffixes..
I have never heard or read about anyone being peck or pecking (well pecking as a kiss, yes, but that is whole different meaning) and feckless, is common enough, but Feck is never heard as word in US--nor is couth, but we do have uncouth louts. and while i am sometimes discombobulated, I don't know as that i have ever been combobulated!
or is this just a YART?

#7867 10/25/00 09:53 PM
old hand
old hand
I cannot tell if I am English enough to speak authoritatively about this (never had school dinners - instead tiffin to school in Bombay), but if I remember rightly, toad in the hole is a concoction of suasage (toad) cooked in an egg and flour batter that rises (puffs up) into a yellowish 'thing'. When done well (which is almost never) it is fluffy, filling, lightly browned on the outside, and with juicy sausages (with tight, crunchy skins) lurking within it like treasures...

Am willing to be corrected, of course, by Jo and others who had it on a regular basis. My Mum used to cook it for me when I suffered (after a surfeit of curry) from withdrawal symptoms for English food... (Bangers and mash was another treat. Yikes...)

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#7868 10/25/00 10:49 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
of troy,

I am at fault. My humble apologies if I led you astray. Sometimes you have to take me - and I hasten to say a few others hereabouts - with a grain of salt, if not an entire sackful of the stuff. Unpeckable was a contrived word that seemed to fit the context. It just came into my head as I was typing. You picked up my meaning (inedible) well enough, though.

I do hear "couth" occasionally, I think mostly as a kind of tongue-in-cheek antonym. Not sure if there's a thread on AWADtalk for these sorts of words. If so, I'm sure someone will steer you towards it. The legendary tsuwm (http://members.aol.com/tsuwm/ - no commission received for free plugs) ran some underused roots a couple of weeks ago - ruly, sipid (my wife still recoils when I call her cooking that!), defatigable, delible.

Starting a thread is easy enough. Just go to a particular forum so that you see the current list of threads. Now click on the first (left) button in the row of six at the top right and simply fill in the form presented.

#7869 10/26/00 12:56 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Boy, you turn away for five minutes and a thread gets so long you have trouble keeping up. Geez.

Most foods here tend to be quite easy to recognize eg: Canard à l’orange (duck with oranges), Tourtière (meat pie).

We do have a couple of things which are typical only to French Québec – gateaux aux chômeurs (Unemployment, or dole cake) which is a heavy white cake baked in a thick sauce made of brown sugar, cream and butter. Brown sugar squares (a fudge-like square made with brown sugar, condensed milk and butter) and sugar pie (hmmm, I’m spotting a trend here, a pie made with a brown sugar, cream and butter filling).

We have a huge sweet tooth . We also go through maple syrup like it is going out of style.

Fishy, >(Creme anglaise, belM?)

Mon Dieu, non. Costarde=custard.

#7870 10/26/00 01:16 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
sipid (my wife still recoils when I call her cooking that
You-all, do you reckon we ought to be planning Marty's funeral, in case his wife ever finds out what he posts here about her cooking?

And, shanks--what on earth is tiffin?? I cannot even guess the part of speech! You seem to have used it like a noun, but it sounds like a verb! As in, if you were tiffin, you might have been fightin', but you would have tiffed at school, not to school!

#7871 10/26/00 05:34 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I don't think I have ever referred to food as tiffin, but tiffin trays are sets of pans stacked one on top of the other with a carrying handle slotted down each side. Sorry if that sounds less than coherent but I really must go.

Bingley

Bingley
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith