Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#77614 08/14/02 12:34 PM
D
addict
addict
D
hey brainiac, not everyone has unlimited funds or access to books, keep your high horsing to yerself

#77615 08/14/02 12:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I reading a book about Corn too, it is history and social commentary... really facinating.. (don't remember the author, it just caught my eye as being interesting)

i envy you your reading time.. NY is having yet an other heat wave, 7 more days in a row of 90+ (average over 95-- for the rest of the world, close to 37C.) with high humidity, 79 to 85%, and ozone alerts.. the idea of carrying a book to read is too much. i make do with a paper that i can throw away and not have to carry both ways to and from work.

at home, i am attempting to pack for a move.. piles of my own stuff to sort through and pack and bigger piles of my kids stuff, abandon at the family homestead.

#77616 08/14/02 01:08 PM
veteran
veteran

"Gee, you finks don't read much these days do you?"

Like of_troy, I envy you your reading time. I do read a lot, but it's mostly technical stuff which I don't include. A big chunk of that is OPC - other people's code. Also reading a bunch of specifications for stuff I barely understand so I can design a new system. On the relevant stuff, though, I accidently got started on Les Miserables and I think I'm going to read a Turing (personal hero) biography next. Feynman will have to wait. These will keep me busy at least through November and possibly into next year.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
just finished: Longitude, by Dava Sobel (crossthread to books by women)
now reading:
Child of the River: The First Book of Confluence, by Paul J. McAuley (crossthread to equitably vs. equably)
The Birds of Heaven: Travels With Cranes, by Peter Matthiessen (crossthread to... here, actually)
Slant, by Greg Bear (crossthread to the Book Swap (hi Faldo))
coming up next:
The Circus Fire: A True Story, by Stewart O'Nan (this space for rent)

#77618 08/17/02 07:13 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
[Book Review]

CCO ORRNN

40 recipes: roasted, creamed, simmered + more
________________________by olwen woodier

the red fox's cornmeal oysters
with salsa and r`emoulade

the Red fox restaurant is located on the 4,800-foot-high spruse-lined ridges of Snowshoe mountain in Pocahontas county, west Virginia. Owned and operated by Brian and Margaret Ann Ball, this alpine hideaway houses a trio of restaurants offering fine cuisine and a wine list that has won awards from Wine Spectator magazine. Try this recipe and you'll understand why Foder's Travel Guide lists The Red Fox as one of its 25 favorite restaurants in the United States.

1 cup cornmeal______________ 30 select oysters
1 cup all- purpose flour______ 1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt_____________ 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder___ 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon white pepper___ 1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 cup vegetable oil
six 8-inch corn tortillas, crisped in a warm oven
(The red Fox uses tortilla "bowls")
9 cups spring green mix with Ancho Buttermilk Dressing
(see recipe below)
3 cups Corn and Black Bean Salsa
(see recipe below)
6 teaspoons Poblano R`emoulade
(see recipe below)

1. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, cumin, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and peppers. Pour onto a plate or a sheet of waxed paper.

2. Heat the oil in a deep saute pan over very high heat. dredge the oysters in the cornmeal mixture. when the oil is spitting hot, deep-fry the oysters for about 1 minute, until golden brown. Remove immediately and drain on two thicknesses of paper towels.

3. Place a tortilla on each plate, pile each with 1 1/2 cups of the spring greens, and top with 1/2 cup of the salsa.

4. Arrange 5 oysters around the salsa on each serving and top each one with 1 teaspoon of the r`moulade.

Yield: 6 servings

___________*************___________

poblano remoulade

1/2 cup mayonnaise________ 1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt__ 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon black pepper_ 1 small poblano chile, minced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all ingredients. Cover; refrigerate until ready to use.

Yield: 3/4 cup

_______________***********______________

corn and black bean salsa

1 cup black beans, rinsed, drained, and cooked
1 cup fresh corn kernels, lightly steamed and removed from the cob
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup chopped plum tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped poblano chiles (wear gloves when handling chiles)
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 sup chopped scallions
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon ground corlander
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 clove of garlic, minced

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all ingredients. cover; refrigerate or leave at room temperature until ready to use.

Yield: 3 cups

_______________************________________

the red fox's ancho buttermilk dressing

1 cup buttermilk_________________ 1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro____ 1 ancho chile, minced
1 small clove of garlic, minced__ 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons minced fresh chives 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a small deep bowl and whisk to blend. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

#77619 08/17/02 07:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
let me be the first to congratulate you!

i don't think we have ever had a guy turn a thread into an out right food thread before!

i too am reading a book about corn.. but it is The Story of Corn; The myths and history, the culture and agriculture, the art and science of America's quintessntial crop.

the arent't any proper recipes, just some generic ones so far.. it has some word origins for pone and other corn words, (Pone-- for the Algonquin appone.. and Samp from the Narragansett suppawn)

i call my corn bread pone, too.
1 cup yellow corn flour
1 cup wheat flour
(i like whole grain, stone ground for both)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup yogurt (plain)
3 to 4 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons honey (warm it in the same cup you melt the butter in or at the same time)
1 egg
(milk as needed)

preheat oven, 500º (High) lightly grease cast iron pan, and put in oven to preheat too.

mix together dry ingredients. then mix together wet..
Mix wet into dry, (add up to 1/4 cup of milk, if needed) to make stiff batter.

Do not over mix.

pour into preheated cast iron pan, reduce heat in oven to 350º, bake for 15 to 20 minutes till done.

I have a cast iron pan in the shape of ears of corn.. but a plain round frypan might take longer.

the yogurt/honey combo are acidic enough to both temper the corn and to work with the soda for a nice light result. the hot pan creates a crunchy crust. for a super rich corn bread, use sour cream instead of yogurt. (i think its to cake like then.)
serve warm.

#77620 08/17/02 10:16 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Below I list books that you all apparently find tiresome. Great Goobly-Woobly!, it is time that you all begin to think...thoughts!

Ok, I did not want to appear to be one of the Cognoscente so often admonished hereabouts. BUT. "'nufs enuf!"

What I have read since June:
The Oxford Companion to World War II ( well, honestly, still at it) General Editor I.C.B. Dear and Consultant Editor M. R.D. Foot

Books by Evelyn Waugh "Men At Arms" & "Officers and Gentlemen" with "End of the Battle" just in and awaiting pickup at the Water Street Bookstore.

The Terrible Hours" by Peter Mass sub title "The Greatest Submarine Rescue in History" The true story of the rescue of the men aboard the sunken "Squalus" (off the N.H. coast) by Swede Momsen who also invented the Momsen Lung.

Ghost Soldiers"- by Hampton Sides - the account of the 1945 WWII rescue mission for survivors of the Bataan Death March in the Philippines.

Two novels by Willianm E. Butterwork aka W.E.B. Griffin :
Under Fire (Marines in North Korea) and Special Ops set during Che Rivera days.

I am also often dipping into The War 1939-1945 by Desmond Flower and James Reeves as time allows. Actually it's my bedtime reading. The authors tell the chronological story of WWII - on both fronts - through meticulously documented diaries, letters, journals, reports,official communications and other documents by the men who fought the war including (but not limited to) Eisenhower, Regular GIs, German and Japanese soldiers, Patton, Goring, Hitler, Churchill, DeGaul et.al.
This weekend, to let my brain rest I read two light and charming books by Lillian Jackson Braun from her latest "The Cat Who ..." series.

Since The Oxford WWII is 1,342 pages of tight, concise, in-depth, densely factual writing, I'd say that, all things considered, although it may diverge from the areas of interest others have, it does require some thinking!
And believe it or not I have still made time to enjoy life, lunch with friends, write a few real letters and work on my own writing. But it does help that I am retired and haven't the pressures of a job or children at home as many of you have. And Thank Heaven for book sale tables and a decent Library.

AS the old saying goes - Men of good will may disagree and still remain friends. Or at least respect each other.

#77621 08/17/02 10:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow, isn't The Terrible Hours an incredible book? i read it just before the russian submarine accident last year, and cries when all those submariners died..

there are some good links on the web, and better pictures

#77622 08/17/02 10:58 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Did you know they made a TV movie around the event? It was highly publicized around here and was on one of the regular -not cable - stations as I recall. Not bad if a bit shallow (no pun too serious a subject.) Forget title.

#77623 08/17/02 11:50 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
AS the old saying goes - Men of good will may disagree and still remain friends. Or at least respect each other.

Dear wow your old saying is an old wives tale. It was not for agreeing to disagree that the Second World War was fought. This board becomes mere chat if the exchange of ideas are not offered for the purpose of resolution. Men of goodwill without a life in search of truths are self-righteous buffoons who disgrace the human species. What's more, they rarely have a sense of humor.

I do, see ----------> .

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 542 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith