Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#7740 10/13/00 09:22 AM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
I think it is time we had a chat about new members. The problem is that there are only 26 letters in the English alphabet and they have all been used a fair few times now (except zed/zee which has only just discovered us). In addition, inevitably, some of the same combinations of words have also found their way back on to the board, at least momentarily.

There are a few issues here:
(i) It is becoming quite difficult to find old threads. This has absolutely nothing to do with the way that some of us fail to stick to the subject and manage to run a conversation across two or more threads, simultaneously - I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing!

(ii) It is entirely possible that someone new to the board may have something new and different to say, so doesn't need to have the existence of an old thread raised in a way which negates their contribution. On the other hand, a bit of friendly banter ....

(ii) Although we are very young (about 7 months old) there is a heck of a lot of hot air out there. A new person would have to spend about two weeks reading through everything to be able to make their first post, let alone their second or third!

(iii) I suppose that one might have expected some of us old addicts to have moved on at some stage, so the collective memory would not be so good. One of the earliest postings by "Charlie" was http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=1&page=25&view=expanded&sb=5
on the 12th March, "It is said a year in Internet life is equivalent to six years in real life." I think he had a point so a period of just over seven months becomes a period of over three years - it certainly feels like that.

I'll fish out the list we once had called "rules of engagement" and re-post it here so that people don't have to wade through the whole thread.

I noticed that there is bit of discussion emerging in other threads about this, so I'll add those postings too, so we don't lose them.

#7741 10/13/00 09:29 AM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
Here's a copy of the "Suggestions" posting from 19th May 2000. We might like to add/remove a few points:

Here are a few ideas.
(i) Everybody has the right to ask a question, no matter how obvious the answer maybe to anyone else.
(ii) It isn't necessary to pick up on people's grammatical, spelling or typing errors unless it is done in order to help re-state the question in a clearer way. (If you want to sent a "by the way, did you notice" e-mail directly to the person so that they can correct/amend the posting - then on your own head be it).
(iii) Some of the questions posed offer people the opportunity to do some pleasurable research and do not require an immediate answer. We cover a large range of time zones so not everyone gets to see the question, so it may be best to hold back on an answer, so as not to spoil it for others. I've seen cryptic answers and clues used to help the discussion along without taking away other people's rights to find out for themselves.
(iv) That said, if you really do want a quick answer, then say so.
(v) Everyone has a an equal voice, so only speak for yourself.
(vi) If a thread has got a long way from its initial discussion it may be best to start a new thread. This makes it easier for newcomers to find their way around.
(vii) The site should allow for discussion of controversial issues. We probably don't want to have an "eighteen certificate" imposed on us, so care should be taken in the kind of language used. Words can inspire or upset people so try to move controversial discussions to a new thread, so that people can choose to opt in or out.
(viii) This "begs the question" how long should a thread be - I have no views on this subject
(ix) If people use lots of complicated words we don't understand, fine, isn't that part of the fun?
(x) It's fine to disagree and people may even be quite rude to each other from time to time but shouldn't need to be offensive.
(xi) I would hate to see anyone driven away from the site because of their race, creed, gender, disability .... but that doesn't mean that those subjects cannot be discussed in an even handed way.
(xii) Some subject like sport are fair game. If people get upset by sex, religion and politics ... we have to have something we can be rude about ...

If this differs from how you see the site I know you will add your comments. Feel free to accept/reject any of the above.

From a mere mortal

#7742 10/13/00 09:40 AM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
Here's a copy of the discussion on the other board, to save you re-posting them.

jmh
(addict)
Thu Oct 12 18:00:37 2000 momentarily
Yes if you have a few hours to spare you could search on the word “momentarily” to find rather clear dividing lines on the subject. I would never use the word "YART".

Myself, I vary from cross to highly amused by the term. It always seems strange to land "for a moment" or stop at a train station "for a moment", it hardly seems worth the effort.

tsuwm
(addict)
Thu Oct 12 18:10:05 2000 Re: momentarily

>I would never use the word "YART".

yes, isn't it gusting how these abstruse acronyms are bandied about by those in the know?

jmh
(addict)
Thu Oct 12 18:19:10 2000 Re: momentarily

>yes, isn't it gusting how these abstruse acronyms are bandied about by those in the know?

Only momentarily, in my experience.

Marty
(journeyman)
Thu Oct 12 20:34:30 2000 Re: momentarily

you could search on the word momentarily to find rather clear dividing lines on the subject. I would never use the word "YART".

Oops, I see what you mean, Jo. I guess it's a perennial problem for bulletin boards like this with new contributors joining constantly. I don't have a solution, I'm afraid. I'll be buggered (excuse the French) if I'm going to search all postings for keywords before I start typing a response, or wade through them all as a one-off familiarization, so I guess we'll all have to just sigh, think YART to ourselves, and be patient.

wsieber
(member)
Fri Oct 13 01:10:53 2000 Re: YART

Having reflected on this problem, which is likely to grow exponentially with the size and age of the Board, only one (radical) solution occurred to me: Make the program delete the posts once they have reached a certain age. This would - however coarsely - simulate the behaviour of human memory..
Since we are interested in contributions from new subscribers, we should not raise the threshold by constant cries of YART. A schoolteacher is also obliged to repeat many things in a yearly rhythm.

Max Quordlepleen
(enthusiast)
Fri Oct 13 01:24:52 2000 Re: YART
Since we are interested in contributions from new subscribers, we should not raise the threshold by constant cries of YART

I agree! One of the appealing things about this Board is its eclecticism, and lack of elitism. Excessive verbal spanking for YARTing could scare off potential contributors. In a private message to someone, I said that Anu reminds me of Charlie from "Charlie's Angels", an unseen benevolence. I wonder if there's any chance that our Charlie could be petitioned for an opinion on YARTing?

#7743 10/13/00 11:00 AM
old hand
old hand
Jo

From posting on other boards, it seems to me that each board tends to move towards a culture (best word I could think of) that is uniquely its own. Whilst I have no problems with re-hashed topics in general, obvious questions, or a search through eternal threads, if it causes irritation to some, then certainly it is worth discussing. In theory, though, even if we arrive at some sort of consensus, it will only be a conditional one. New people will arrive, and some regulars may leave. As the composition changes, the culture will, too. Apart from Anu, I doubt if any of us have more than the average level of control over the administration of this board. At our worst we could be rude and personally insulting, and thick-skinned trolls and spammers will shrug that off.

I suspect that, because the primary feature of this board appears to be one of discovery (together) rather than contention (to convince the other of your point), we can usually manage to maintain both an intellectually stimulating, yet friendly, environment. This will, however, fail from time to time. Should we berate ourselves about it, or see it as just another of those slings and arrows that we could, perhaps, shrug off?

I admit that my 'tolerant' attitude comes from spending a great deal of time on boards where contention is the name of the game, and without a 'live and let live' approach, I would soon be turned into a quivering, twitching insult machine. Even so, I do not think that we have yet reached the breast-beating stage where we need to re-examine our raison d'etre and conduct.

Just my opinion, though. Perhaps we fear that future newbies may be too sensistive to take a little rough and tumble? What's the opinion of our masses?

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#7744 10/13/00 11:42 AM
old hand
old hand
>Perhaps we fear that future newbies may be too sensistive to take a little rough and tumble? <
Certainly not all of them, as we frequently notice. But in a pond, the more the water loses its clarity, the coarser are the fish that survive in it (I did not make this up for the occasion).

#7745 10/13/00 11:48 AM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
>even if we arrive at some sort of consensus, it will only be a conditional one

I don't even mind if we don't reach a consensus. I just think it is worth giving people the opportunity to discuss our modus operandi from time to time. A lot of people have come and gone since our last discussion. This would seem to be as good a time as any as we have no great problems to iron out.

#7746 10/13/00 11:54 AM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
>But in a pond, the more the water loses its clarity

Thnak you for your comments wsieber. I'm off on a maritime adventure (will keep look out for fish on bicycles), so I'll leave you in peace for a few days. I'm sure that this thread will sink or swim, as do all contributions in this particular pond.

#7747 10/13/00 12:25 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
this particular pond

Thanks for bringing this up, Jo. I'm sure it's worth checking this now and again (or even from moment to moment). There's always a balance to be struck between the very strong culture a particular forum soon develops, which gives the flavour regular participants rise to as a sign of inclusivity, and the exclusive boundaries it can set for those not yet off their first bicycle stabilisers.

Which I guess is a long way of saying: count me in for not counting anyone out.

#7748 10/13/00 02:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's been pointed out that we share the general characteristics (and foibles) of all electronic boards. However, given that our overriding topic is words (which subject is not going to attract your typical flamer too often), we probably are more apt to be careful about how we use them. Although I am not an "old hand", I can attest that we have occasionally approached the edge of good taste and decorum; but we are fortunate to have a quite a wide diversity of class clowns and disciplinarians. I see no evidence that we need to refer regularly to a prescriptive set of groundrules and checklists. (please excuse the expression, I work regulatorily with the FAA and JAA and am up to *here in groundrules and checklists :)

#7749 10/13/00 07:37 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I am perfectly enamoured with the way the board runs right now. Perhaps, since I am just recently graduated from being a stranger, the shine is still on the apple for me but I cannot find fault with the way things flow.

I enjoy the eclectic mix of members and accept, even revel in the fact, that not everyone is expected to have the same character or opinion (see the whole John Denver debacle ). The fact that some have been around longer than others has not put me off in any way since EVERYBODY welcomes you with open arms. I have not seen one person shunned (posts ignored) since I got here.

For a board dedicated to words it is not stuffily pedantic in any way; and if sometimes we go off on a tangent, well, for those who believe in fate, wasn't that where we were headed anyway…

#7750 10/13/00 08:21 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
(vii) The site should allow for discussion of controversial issues. We probably don't want to have an "eighteen certificate" imposed on us, so care should be taken in the kind of language used. Words can inspire or upset people so try to move controversial discussions to a new thread, so that people can choose to opt in or out.

Well, it's a good thing that we haven't reached too far down in Jackie's gutter or I guess I wouldn't be allowed here.

#7751 10/15/00 07:38 AM
B
addict
addict
B
I know of one person who found the board intimidating at first but persevered.
I know of one person who found it too aggressive and has dropped out. A shame, as I think that person was an asset to the board.

I don't know if there is any way to avoid this, however. The board is just a reflection of life in the 'real' world, and the same kind of things happen there.

Personally, I'm trying to work on a couple of simple guidelines, similar to ones I use in that pesky 'real' world.

1. If I say/post something that might be seen as critical, best to use a tone/emoticon/turn of phrase/all three! to demonstrate that this is not an out-and-out attack.

2. If I'm still afraid I may have offended someone, deal with it privately. It is much easier to build bridges and get understanding, even if not agreement, without the pressure of doing it in the public eye.

#7752 10/15/00 02:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>deal with it privately

but be very careful with this approach, for it takes two people to maintain privacy....

once burned,
-joe friday

#7753 10/15/00 10:30 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Having been implicated in this issue, I feel obliged to make a contribution to the discussion.

I believe that the board's problems stem mostly from volume, not behaviour.

The volume of discussion material is vast, and we've only been going for a few months. Having already given up on acquainting myself with past discussions, I am trying to at least keep abreast of all current threads, on a daily basis, particularly since some of the fun comes from the cross-thread banter. I can see, however, that the success of the board carries with it the seeds of its own destruction (a lovely expression that I read here somewhere). No, that's being too pessimistic and alarmist, and I am sure that subscribers, with their love of words, their dedication and their ingenuity won't let that happen. But I can also see that it won't be long before keeping abreast of all discussions will be beyond the capacity of all but the truly interested/obsessed/insert-your-own-adjective-here. The board will most likely lose its sense of being an intimate club; perhaps the foundation contributors already feel it has. I suspect, that like traffic, it will find its own level and sort itself out, but probably as a natural process, not through the imposition of rules or external processes.

On the subject of behaviour... I cannot think of a posting or exchange that has shocked or embarassed me. I have learnt a lot and continuously (or it is continually? - I am sure that someone will put me right, or I can LIU ) been impressed and inspired by people's good nature, their willingness to help, their erudition and their wit. The board seems to have been almost totally devoid of the flaming that can plague such forums.

Sorry I'm not contributing much of a solution here. As the saying goes "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate" (now, where did I read that?).

#7754 10/16/00 08:17 AM
old hand
old hand
>I believe that the board's problems stem mostly from volume, not behaviour. <

Hi Marty,
You put it in a nutshell (the seed of destruction ). I can't but subscribe one hundred percent to your view !

#7755 10/16/00 03:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have thankfully returned, for however long, from the land of no-connectivity. May I issue a belated welcome to all who have joined since I was last able to view/post? (Aside:
I can't help but wonder if Cursquid is a relative of Jazzoctopus.)

Marty, you said. "Having been implicated in this issue...".
My dear, I didn't pick up any ref.'s to you. I expect most of us are guilty of posting something less than our best, at times.
Your seeds of destruction comments scared me, though! Aack!
Oh, I hope not! I think it was my sweet shanks who said that most boards tend to develop their own culture. This would be a natural phenomenon, I think, as groups of people in physical proximity do the same thing. This is the only
place on the Internet where I interact with other people, and I made the scary decision to start here, because of the content, and the people who were posting then. I've only even looked at one other discussion board, and that brief time was enough for me--man, those people were mean!

Bridget, I like your idea of bridges! :-) We all need to do that, in the real and the virtual worlds, if we hope to have any understanding given or received. If some people understand one another and are satisfied with insults and being rude, they can do that. I won't be there. That way of interacting is beyond my comprehension: why on earth would I deliberately try to insult or hurt someone? I simply can't imagine doing that, and if it is directed at me, I am left speechless with incomprehension. I do sometimes employ, and enjoy, "friendly" insults--this is the kind where both parties think it is funny.

I fervently hope this Board keeps its high level of consideration for others.

Oh, yes--Marty, is that insult thing what you meant by
"flaming"? Burning, =hurting? Ouch.

#7756 10/16/00 05:00 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
the board's problems stem mostly from volume

There's clearly lots of good sense being talked on this topic - let's hope it continues to make it feel friendly and accessible for new voices.

A practical suggestion to pick up on this point about volume: it seems to take much more time to load more than say 3 pages or so. Is it possible to automatically start a 'New Thread (Part X)' when a predetermined length of posts is attained, with links to top and tail between them?
What marginal loss might be incurred (such as, heaven forfend, straying off the original topic ) could surely be a worthwhile trade-off for quicker navigation around the site...?

#7757 10/16/00 10:01 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
(Aside: I can't help but wonder if Cursquid is a relative of Jazzoctopus.)

Squid aren't octopi! Six legs, 8 legs, that's a two leg difference.

#7758 10/16/00 10:56 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Jazz, you're the cephalopod cognoscenti around here, so I wonder if you could clear something up for me. Merriam-Webster defines "squid" as:

squid \skwid\ noun, plural squid or squids : any of an order of long-bodied sea mollusks having eight arms and two longer tentacles and usu. a slender internal shell.

My question is this: Do squids have ten "legs" or six? Either way, there is a difference of two legs, as you mentioned, I'm just curious. Of course, if they have six legs, we could start talking about octopodes and sexapodes, which might draw more voyeurs out of hiding.

#7759 10/16/00 11:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(Aside: I can't help but wonder if Cursquid is a relative of Jazzoctopus.)

I have a cousin who has six fingers on each hand. He isn't me, but he's still my relative

#7760 10/17/00 01:29 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
He isn't me, but he's still my relative

Thanks, Anna--got to keep young whippersnappers in their
place, when they get too big for their britches, said the feckless curmudgeonette.

#7761 10/17/00 05:29 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
But how many legs go into the britches? I remember Squiddly-Diddly's hat but I can't remember if he wore britches or any other form of nether garments. Perhaps Jazzoctopus or Cursquid could enlighten us on this point of multi-legged sea creature fashion?

Bingley

Bingley
#7762 10/17/00 12:17 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Hey! this board is obviously good for us all - the concentration span continued for quite a long time before diving into the oceanic depths. This may be because both Jackie and I have been away for a while (not together, I hasten to add )

Marty says, "the success of the board carries with it the seeds of its own destruction ." Whilst I agree with the general idea expressed here, I think "destruction" overstates the case.
It is more of a Hegelian thing, surely? - the thesis of this board carries its own antithesis from which, Hegel would argue, something further will be synthesised.
Whether this synthesis will be good or bad, what we want or something else, may not be within our own control. But, insofar as we can control the "progress" of the board, I think the "rules of engagement" that Jo kindly disinterred for us provide a suitable array of knobs and levers.

I have been contributing for only a few weeks, and have no experience of contributing to other boards, but I have found on this board, like so many others who have responded to this thread, great stimulation, much information and endless laughter as well as some rewarding private correspondence.
I am amazed that anyone can find this ambience threatening - it is quite the reverse I would have thought. Certainly there is a core of contributers who form a "backbone," but they are welcoming and tend to be kind to newcomers until they find their feet, reserving the slings and arrows for tried and trusted friends whom they know can take it (and give it back with interest )
It is much like an Irish country pub, where the regulars all chat to each other, but welcome a stranger, talk and listen to him (and even her, these days!) and draw them into the conversation.

Long may it continue - adapting as it must to new members, new ideas and mores and changes in culture.

#7763 10/20/00 01:56 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
Well, time for me to make a contribution here now, I think.

Having checked through all the current postings, if I had to pick one that summarized my current feelings it would be belM's. The apple is well and truly shiny as far as I'm concerned! All the other positive comments about the membership and "constitution" of the Board also resonate strongly. I'd probably be inclined to take them further, though...

My current enthusiasm feels pretty boundless - something of which you've probably all become well aware ! I'm eternally grateful to Anna for reeling me in here; But what's got me well and truly hooked is the overall warmth, sense of humour, tolerance and intelligence of the entire community. This means you !

Having implied that everything's right in this little coral reef just as it is, I think basic structure is always a good thing. And indeed, the "best practice" suggestions passed on by Jo, enhanced by Bridget's guidelines, provide just that. And just the right amount, too. Yes, getting the balance right is crucial - although given shanks' very pertinent point about our limited means of control, we have to trust in the balance being achieved by nature as much as (individual) nurture. If there isn't a natural tendency for tsuwm's clowns and disciplinarians to balance up, there ain't a lot we can do about it. The kind of tolerance expressed by shanks and mav remains fundamental, being open to refreshing new influences and keeping the see sawing.

Exit Stage Left Field.
Goes off and makes a cup of coffee...

On to volume.
Well obviously volume per se isn't a problem; being unable to find relevant threads/posts may be.
Again, our control is limited - we don't have any means of transferring sub-threads to the top level or in any way physically partitioning threads. wsieber's idea of deleting posts of a certain age appealed to me at first, but then, I thought, there may be particularly useful/entertaining threads that we are all loath to lose. In which case, we need some sort of controlled thread "directory" management. But any form of directory management is off the cards unless we get Anu to do a major rewrite, and also appoint administrator posts etc. A no-no really.

What we're left with is more best practice, really. It certainly helps re-titling postings once a sub-thread has clearly established itself. Yes, I know this happens more or less instantaneously in some cases, or you only realise a few postings down the line - but so what? The change of title alerts others to a sub-thread, and if they want to follow it back to source, they can do so regardless of title.

We can set up links within postings; has anyone tried saving the URL (Address at the top of your browser) for a particular thread or posting, then sticking that in as a link in another posting? If that works we can provide easy links to other relevant threads, which would be good.

The only other suggestion I can make is that fish like myself who haven't yet explored the depths of AWAD's back pages should do so, and add appropriate comments. This would effectively recycle () interesting old threads, putting them towards the top of the summary lists.
If they're in descending date order, that is.
Would this be a good thing??

That's an essay more than a posting! Sorry for the eye-strain. But hope it helps.

In the words of a Scot:

Here's to us
W'o's like us?
Damn few
And they're all deed!

Cheers.

#7764 10/20/00 04:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
one (discouraging?) technical aside: links to other threads tend to be quite lengthy, causing the "wide-screen syndrome" to kick in....

#7765 10/20/00 07:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wouldn't it make great sense to communicate the proposed "rules of engagement" to newcomers, say in an e-mail from our Fearless Leader?

#7766 10/20/00 07:39 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
Ah yes. I suppose the url has to be included in full, and has no line breaks.

Maybe if links to other threads are included they just have to be inserted at the top level of the thread? They can still be referenced from any level of the thread. I know it puts another step in along the way, but it's a sort of solution..

#7767 10/20/00 07:50 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Wouldn't it make great sense to communicate the proposed "rules of engagement" to newcomers, say in an e-mail from our Fearless Leader?

What do you mean by "Fearless Leader"? We've been left by Anu to graze freely in this lovely field of philisophical etymology. Anu himself has made possibly two posts other than the weekly themes, both of which were very early on. I would say that if anyone were to alert new users of the "Constitution" it would have to be Jackie because she already greets everyone.

#7768 10/20/00 09:27 PM
X
X

Perhaps this email could be spontaneously generated by the system when someone creates an account. We get a "welcome" message, why not include more in this message. I know that when I first signed on, I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what the rules were before I felt comfortable posting anything. And I wondered for a long time how to put those nifty smileys into the text. Of course, this would require action on the part of our 'Fearless Leader' but seemingly all that would be needed would be to change the text of the welcome message to include more useful information.

#7769 10/20/00 10:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Xara's point is my own, only better and more clearly stated. If the "welcome aboard" e-mail that is machine generated when one first joins the discussion could contain the rules proposed at the head of this thread, it would be a good thing and go a long way (I think) toward meeting some of the cocerns raised in this thread. Anu, are you listening?

#7770 10/22/00 04:19 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Anu, are you listening?

That's the problem. He's not. We've asked questions of him before and received no response. It's obvious that he plays no part in this board unless he's disguised as someone else.

#7771 10/22/00 06:02 PM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
Just back from lovely fishy watery holidays. Far too laid back to concentrate on the more than 300 posts that have bubbled around while I was away. I'm glad to see you've been addressing one of my worries about referring back to old posts. That does seem to be part of the fun. I like the idea of adding links to old posts but note the problem tsuwm had about the impact of long urls.

I’m glad that some people found a loose framework of guiding principles useful. I would hate to see a formal rulebook, recording air-misses (as tsuwm mentions).

I suppose we should let this thread sink until anyone sees the need to discuss it again.

#7772 10/22/00 06:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Anu, are you listening?

That's the problem. He's not.

My dear--just because our revered Anu does not post
responses does not mean he's not paying attention.
As a matter of fact, I happen to know that he does watch.
(No, I do not have any kind of "inside track". Max knows how.) I have absolute faith that he has his own good reasons for not participating actively.
Anyone who posts a word against that man will find out that my response will make my John Denver defense seem like a walk in the park, by comparison .

#7773 10/22/00 07:16 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Hi xara,

I'm not sure I would have appreciated a reading of the rules when I first entered this forum. I loved jiggling about and trying to find my footing. When you jump into something, feet-first and unafraid, aren’t you more apt to be yourself in that context.

If rules are pushed upon you from the start, they can make the forum seem rigid and uninviting – two things that AWAD Talk is evidently not. A person that is not of the character to self impose rules of civility would not follow those rules anyway.

#7774 10/23/00 02:00 AM
X
X
belM

I suppose whether you prefer a prestated list of rules has quite a bit to do with what type of person you are. I am self conscious around strangers. Especially if they Might be smarter (better educated) than me. For that reason, I'm less likely to just jump feet first into something I don't quite understand. Perhaps rules aren't quite what we need sent to all the newbies (strangers?) but rather more of an explanation of how things work. Even if it had simply been technical information, 'when you push this button this happens, and if you type blue in square brackets your text turns blue' that would have helped me to get on my feet wet. It wouldn't necessarily need to be limited to that. A suggested guidelines for the rules of conduct could be included, or explanations for how to find things.

Yes, you might be more yourself if not presented with 'rules' but for those of us who don't care to wander blindly through things, some how-to's would be very helpful. Whatever was sent out could be worded such that it is both informative and unimposing. And for those who don't care for what they read, let them ignore it.

(After spell checking my post I am reminded how confusing 'Enigma' can be until you realize what a strange little world the poor thing must live in to come up with such strange corrections. That would be another thing worth explaining in our proposed Welcome letter.)

#7775 10/23/00 06:40 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Anu provides an e-mail address. Perhaps if one attempts to elicit a response from him through these postings and fails, it would be wise to shift to direct e-mail.

#7776 10/23/00 08:23 AM
old hand
old hand
Are you sure that would be a wise idea? As Jackie noted, Anu does keep his (her?) eye on things.

If we are all really anxious for newcomers to be 'greeted' with a sort of protocol FAQ, why not post it in the 'info and announcement' section. Things don't move quite so quickly there, and any newcomer can be directed there by one or other old timer (who certainly will not cavil at the opportunity to add to the post count!).

While I appreciate the spirit behind the original guidelines, and will certainly follow them where I can, I would not like newcomers to feel that this is some kind of 'follow these or else' decalogue.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#7777 10/23/00 08:28 AM
old hand
old hand
Perhaps I should have written it 'Anu-spam'?

Talking to myself again. Mutter, mumble...millennium hand and shrimp...

#7778 10/23/00 08:34 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
If we are all really anxious for newcomers to be 'greeted' with a sort of protocol FAQ, why not post it in the 'info and announcement' section.

I like this idea. It lets Anu continue his Ea role, letting his children make their own music, without direct intervention. Hopefully none will prove willing to play Melkor!

#7779 10/23/00 08:36 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
At one time, there was a proposal to start a new terrestrial TV service in Scotland called Scottish Highland and Island Television, until some spoilsport asked how it could be referred to briefly.

Bingley

Bingley
#7780 10/23/00 09:31 AM
old hand
old hand
I've always fancied myself as a Morgoth: Manwe Sulimo was so (uptight? anal retentive? fundamental? constipated? ahhh) costive!

#7781 10/23/00 10:28 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
referring back to old posts

Before we resign ourselves to verbal references alone, let's give this a try. Purely experimental, but would be nice if it works.

1. The following link should jump to Jo's starting post (and they're off!) on this pow-wow thread:
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Board=miscellany&Number=5932
(same Board, same Thread)

2. This link should take you to shanks' posting in Graduation, Part 2:
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Board=miscellany&Number=6634
(same Board, different Thread)

3. And this one should take you to Jo's posting in Food for Thought, under Wordplay & Fun:
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Board=wordplay&Number=6635
(different Board and Thread)

The first link may be slow if you don't already have a second browser window open, the other two should be more acceptable.

Now, if the url markup didn't automatically attach a http:// to the beginning of links, we could skip the wordsmith.org/board/ bit, which would really shorten it. But perhaps it's acceptable as it stands?

If people could give these links a try and see if they work for them (the fact they work for me is no guarantee) it would be good. Then, if there's sufficient interest, I could provide more detailed instructions on how to set up such links with relative ease.

#7782 10/23/00 10:41 AM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
They work pdq for me.

#7783 10/23/00 10:55 AM
old hand
old hand
Shona

Links were pretty quick for me. But then, I do have the advantage of working from a permanently on-line system (whether cyber-cafes or work).

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#7784 10/23/00 05:28 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
links

Good stuff, that fish!

I was dazzled by this lesson in computer know-how. Then I came across these explanatory terms from the MacAttorney Humor List via the Wordplay list:

1 millionth of a fish: 1 microfiche
1 million bicycles: 2 megacycles

Clearly fish are well able to scale these heights!

#7785 10/23/00 05:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>>
1 million bicycles:
2 megacycles
^
I see we have our usual perfervid nimiety. ;^)

#7786 10/23/00 05:39 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
perfervid nimiety

Fi - shend me not!

#7787 10/24/00 09:35 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
perfervid nimiety
Fi - shend me not

Wow, three new words in a day! That's prolixity for you.

#7788 10/24/00 02:19 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
prolixity for you

Fi, shed not a gear, I mean tear...

#7789 10/24/00 02:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>shend me not

mav, I applaud your continued attempts to defloccinaucinihilipilificate the worthless word.

shend is marked "chiefly dialect"; I'm assuming it's British as no information on the area of usage is forthcoming.
any confirmation?

#7790 10/25/00 01:04 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Manwe Sulimo was so (uptight? anal retentive? fundamental? constipated? ahhh) costive!

He was also the complete opposite of feckless - we could say he was fective, perhaps?

Which would, of course, make him costive fective - every accountants dream.

#7791 10/25/00 01:14 PM
old hand
old hand
Actually I thought his very uptightness made him restless, which is why he was costive active...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith