Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#7770 10/22/00 04:19 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Anu, are you listening?

That's the problem. He's not. We've asked questions of him before and received no response. It's obvious that he plays no part in this board unless he's disguised as someone else.

#7771 10/22/00 06:02 PM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
Just back from lovely fishy watery holidays. Far too laid back to concentrate on the more than 300 posts that have bubbled around while I was away. I'm glad to see you've been addressing one of my worries about referring back to old posts. That does seem to be part of the fun. I like the idea of adding links to old posts but note the problem tsuwm had about the impact of long urls.

I’m glad that some people found a loose framework of guiding principles useful. I would hate to see a formal rulebook, recording air-misses (as tsuwm mentions).

I suppose we should let this thread sink until anyone sees the need to discuss it again.

#7772 10/22/00 06:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Anu, are you listening?

That's the problem. He's not.

My dear--just because our revered Anu does not post
responses does not mean he's not paying attention.
As a matter of fact, I happen to know that he does watch.
(No, I do not have any kind of "inside track". Max knows how.) I have absolute faith that he has his own good reasons for not participating actively.
Anyone who posts a word against that man will find out that my response will make my John Denver defense seem like a walk in the park, by comparison .

#7773 10/22/00 07:16 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Hi xara,

I'm not sure I would have appreciated a reading of the rules when I first entered this forum. I loved jiggling about and trying to find my footing. When you jump into something, feet-first and unafraid, aren’t you more apt to be yourself in that context.

If rules are pushed upon you from the start, they can make the forum seem rigid and uninviting – two things that AWAD Talk is evidently not. A person that is not of the character to self impose rules of civility would not follow those rules anyway.

#7774 10/23/00 02:00 AM
X
X
belM

I suppose whether you prefer a prestated list of rules has quite a bit to do with what type of person you are. I am self conscious around strangers. Especially if they Might be smarter (better educated) than me. For that reason, I'm less likely to just jump feet first into something I don't quite understand. Perhaps rules aren't quite what we need sent to all the newbies (strangers?) but rather more of an explanation of how things work. Even if it had simply been technical information, 'when you push this button this happens, and if you type blue in square brackets your text turns blue' that would have helped me to get on my feet wet. It wouldn't necessarily need to be limited to that. A suggested guidelines for the rules of conduct could be included, or explanations for how to find things.

Yes, you might be more yourself if not presented with 'rules' but for those of us who don't care to wander blindly through things, some how-to's would be very helpful. Whatever was sent out could be worded such that it is both informative and unimposing. And for those who don't care for what they read, let them ignore it.

(After spell checking my post I am reminded how confusing 'Enigma' can be until you realize what a strange little world the poor thing must live in to come up with such strange corrections. That would be another thing worth explaining in our proposed Welcome letter.)

#7775 10/23/00 06:40 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Anu provides an e-mail address. Perhaps if one attempts to elicit a response from him through these postings and fails, it would be wise to shift to direct e-mail.

#7776 10/23/00 08:23 AM
old hand
old hand
Are you sure that would be a wise idea? As Jackie noted, Anu does keep his (her?) eye on things.

If we are all really anxious for newcomers to be 'greeted' with a sort of protocol FAQ, why not post it in the 'info and announcement' section. Things don't move quite so quickly there, and any newcomer can be directed there by one or other old timer (who certainly will not cavil at the opportunity to add to the post count!).

While I appreciate the spirit behind the original guidelines, and will certainly follow them where I can, I would not like newcomers to feel that this is some kind of 'follow these or else' decalogue.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#7777 10/23/00 08:28 AM
old hand
old hand
Perhaps I should have written it 'Anu-spam'?

Talking to myself again. Mutter, mumble...millennium hand and shrimp...

#7778 10/23/00 08:34 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
If we are all really anxious for newcomers to be 'greeted' with a sort of protocol FAQ, why not post it in the 'info and announcement' section.

I like this idea. It lets Anu continue his Ea role, letting his children make their own music, without direct intervention. Hopefully none will prove willing to play Melkor!

#7779 10/23/00 08:36 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
At one time, there was a proposal to start a new terrestrial TV service in Scotland called Scottish Highland and Island Television, until some spoilsport asked how it could be referred to briefly.

Bingley

Bingley
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 528 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith