Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
> If that is the case, well, all he can do is drum his heels on the floor and call for his daddy!

And of course, it stops people uttering nasty words like Haliburton. Maybe the near certainty of a truly assinine House after November (for the first time in how long?) is unsettling one or the other of Junior's neurons.

#76554 08/11/02 02:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
>But, then, when did any of this ever stop the Bushes before? You can't stop a clan who has an estimated $400 billion dollars laundered away from the Silverado S&L banking scandal and Iran/Contra dealings, and whose Patriarch once ran the CIA. If they can't buy you then Daddy picks up the phone and makes you "disappear"...like Cliff Baxter, the would-be "John Dean" of ENRON. Anybody getting the picture here, yet?

WO'N:

Aw, come on, you don't really believe any of that, do you? if you had said $40 million I might have given some credence to it. But $400 billion? That's a bit too outrageous even for the right wing conspiracy theorists.

And as to the Big Shrub's tenure as head of the CIA -- yep, he was there. And if you go back and look you will see that every prior head of the CIA was a political appointee. DCI's a figurehead who sets overall policy. The real work of the CIA is done by people like me and you. Actually I worked for the CIA for a short time back in the 60s, moving mail from one part of the building to another for a summer. I admit to not knowing a thing about covert ops, but I can tell you that the rank and file employees are nothing more or less than dedicated civil service types doing their jobs. Over 90 precent of the work is analysis, taking this little fact here, putting it with that little newspaper item there, and factoring it in with a little tidbit from a covert operation to arrive at something that might be useful to the policy makers in Congress and the executive branch.

And as to Baxter, why does every suicide in the government attract moths like conspiracy theorists flocking around a pool of blood?

TEd

TEd
M
old hand
old hand
M
Thanks sjm for your concern for our well-being here in the states. We love our President. He got 50.01% of the vote. How did your elections go over in Akina?
- -

#76556 08/11/02 03:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And as to Baxter, why does every suicide in the government attract moths like conspiracy theorists flocking around a pool of blood?

here is something about that...

the Sunday NYTimes mag.. The NY times does demand cookies,and registration, and its an 8 page article so i am not going to copy, but it is an interesting artile on conspiracy theory.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/11/magazine/11COINCIDENCE.html

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
He got 50.01% of the vote.

In an alternate universe perhaps, but not on this planet, according to
http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/fe2000/prespop.htm, which lists the following:
Candidate(Party Label) Popular Vote Total % of Popular Vote
Al Gore (Democrat) 50,999,897 48.38
G. W. Bush (Republican) 50,456,002 47.87

The Electoral college result gave Dubya 50.4655493482309% of the EC votes, so you're 0 for 2 in the matter of factual accuracy.

#76558 08/11/02 08:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We don't think of US politics as an abstraction, something that we can point fingers at, laugh about and then just move on and forget about. Whatever the US does, right or wrong, tends to get reflected in what happens to us, later if not sooner.

sjm, myself and other thinking people are very much aware that we are stuck with the fact that we have absolutely no say in who gets to be president of the US and yet we, and the rest of the world, are stuck with the consequences of the outcome of the US presidential elections. When that outcome is a Republican president, the rest of us have more to fear than when he's a Democrat, since Democrats typically restrain themselves from foreign adventurism.

If America didn't project its power - both political and military - as if it were the only country in the world, our concern about US presidential elections and about those for the House and the Senate, too, would only be theoretical. Unfortunately, that's not the way the world works.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#76559 08/11/02 08:58 PM
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
In reply to:

We don't think of US politics as an abstraction, something that we can point fingers at, laugh about and then just move on and forget about. Whatever the US does, right or wrong, tends to get reflected in what happens to us, later if not sooner.

sjm, myself and other thinking people are very much aware that we are stuck with the fact that we have absolutely no say in who gets to be president of the US and yet we, and the rest of the world, are stuck with the consequences of the outcome of the US presidential elections.

Well said. Thank you.

#76560 08/11/02 10:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

we are stuck with the fact that we have absolutely no say in who gets to be president of the US and yet we, and the rest of the world, are stuck with the consequences of the outcome of the US presidential elections.

sometimes we USns feel the same way.

formerly known as etaoin...
M
old hand
old hand
M
He (meaning President Bush) got 50.01% of the vote. ~ milo

The Electoral college result gave Dubya (meaning President Bush) 50.4655493482309% of the EC votes, so you're 0 for 2 in the matter of factual accuracy ~ sjm

In our Republic ,sjm, territory has rights, and popular vote counts are for quiz shows and crossword puzzles.
And for the good of the Republic for which I stand, sjm, I underestimated President Bush's victory margin intentionally, because I did not wish for those loyal Gore supporters, who at heart are really not a bad lot, not to think that it wasn't close. -

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
I underestimated President Bush's victory margin intentionally
--------------------
Main Entry:lie
Function:noun
Etymology:Middle English lige, lie, from Old English lyge; akin to Old High German lug*, Old English l*ogan to lie
Date:before 12th century

1 a : an assertion of something known or believed by the speaker to be untrue with intent to deceive.
--------------------

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith