Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#76327 - 07/30/02 06:05 PM Trank oYu, AnnaZ.
Hyla Offline
addict

Loc: San Francisco, CA
your cryptic rendering of its title.

I looked and looked at that word to be sure it was spelled right.

But in the end, I did misspell Stypticonimon, a fascinating history of after-shave treatments.

#76328 - 07/31/02 08:47 AM Re: Trank oYu, AnnaZ.
Jackie Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
Stypticonimon, a fascinating history of after-shave treatments.
Ohmigawd--rolling! Hope you use electric!

#76329 - 07/31/02 06:45 PM Re: passive aggressive
nancyk Offline
addict

Loc: Metro Detroit (MI)
And there's no vaccine for viruses, right

Not zactly, WW. There are vaccines for some viruses, just not for all viruses. In fact, vaccines are made from viruses. IIR, there are live-virus vaccines, which use a weakened strain of the virus to cause the body to produce antibodies, and killed-virus vaccines, which use dead viruses to do the same. You may be thinking of the fact that there are no antibiotics for viruses. None of the so-called wonder drugs are effective against viruses, which is why we shouldn't insist the doctor give us something for a bad cold - doesn't do any good and contributes to the development of antibiotic-resistant organisms. [/my medical knowledge]

#76330 - 08/01/02 01:31 AM Re: There are vaccines for viruses!
Wordwind Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Piedmont Region of Virginia, U...
Thanks, NancyK, for my little medical lesson. I stand corrected and welcomingly so! You read me perfectly--I had heard that you shouldn't ask for an anti-biotic for viruses, and I made the incorrect leap to include vaccines also.

Live and learn,
WW

#76331 - 08/01/02 05:14 AM Not right, but...
FishonaBike Offline
veteran

Loc: Sussex, England
Every time I come back to this thread I think the word we are looking for is pariah. Now, I know full well that the dictionary definition of this word is simply "outcast", but get a nagging feeling I've seen it used to mean exactly what we're trying to track down: someone who is unwelcome because of an unconscious tendency to create social disorder.

Does anyone else share this feeling?

#76332 - 08/01/02 09:19 AM Re: Not right, but...
Jackie Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
I'm not sure, Shona, but here's what Atomica has to say:
paˇriˇah (pə-rī'ə)
n.
1. A social outcast: “Shortly Tom came upon the juvenile pariah of the village, Huckleberry Finn, son of the town drunkard” (Mark Twain).
2. An Untouchable.
[Tamil paṛaiyar, pl. of paṛaiyan, pariah caste, from paṛai, festival drum.]

WORD HISTORY The word pariah, which can be used for anyone who is a social outcast, independent of social position, recalls a much more rigid social system, which made only certain people pariahs. The caste system of India placed pariahs, also known as Untouchables, very low in society. The word pariah, which we have extended in meaning, came into English from Tamil paṛaiyar, the plural of paṛaiyan, the caste name, which literally means “(hereditary) drummer” and comes from the word paṛai, the name of a drum used at certain festivals. The word is first recorded in English in 1613. Its use in English and its extension in meaning probably owe much to the long period of British rule in India.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Jackie 
Forum Stats
8728 Members
16 Forums
13805 Topics
214929 Posts

Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members
GrandmaCoo, ShellsnBells, charmingthemuse, toddster, Mussaf
8728 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
LukeJavan8 117
endymion6 110
wofahulicodoc 85
A C Bowden 47
jenny jenny 46
Tromboniator 8
tsuwm 7
Bazr 7
FoFong 4
toddster 1
Top Posters
wwh 13858
Faldage 13803
Jackie 11609
tsuwm 10521
Buffalo Shrdlu 7210
AnnaStrophic 6511
LukeJavan8 6429
Wordwind 6296
of troy 5400
BranShea 5282

Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 2014 Wordsmith