About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#75373 07/13/02 04:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hey, i have done a lot of riske things and even some kinky things.. but - I've refrained from YARTing consuelo and ofTroy --Yarting? in a three some? in public? Musick, you keep your string picking, ivory tickling, hands off me!

#75374 07/13/02 05:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What's next? A discussion on the relative value of the music of Allan Holdsworth?

I dunno...do his relatives value his music?

V
stranger
stranger
V
I have always been told that my sense of perfect pitch is "relative", in that I can recognize any note that is played (without being given a base point of reference), as opposed to "absolute", which I thought pertained to knowing the difference between, say, A440 and A442.

I've always been surprised by the fact that my perfect pitch comes much more naturally when I'm listening to an instrument that I can play. I have trouble with, for example, violin (which I can't play worth a darn). My perfect pitch seems to be a bit of a two-step process; first my fingers mentally fall into the keying of the note, and then I read my figurative fingers. Am I alone in this?

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Early on in the US involvement in World War II some bright young radio-telegrapher noticed that the opening of the 5th (Da da da daaah) mimics the dot-dot-dot-dash in Morse code for the letter V.
The music instantly shot to the Top of the Charts for one and all because of the association with the slogan "V for Victory."
MAny a person age 65 or older - who knows nothing whatsoever about classical music will recognize Beethoven's Fifth Symphony because of the association

(A person now in 60s would have been old enough in 1941 - when war started for USA - to remember the many playings of the Fifth Symphony. I recall the Fifth played on every radio station many times on both VE Day and VJ DAy. )

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
I read somewhere that they played the 5th on BBC before announcing that Churchill had died.

F
veteran
veteran
F
A person now in 60s would have been old enough in 1941 - when war started for USA - to remember the many playings of the Fifth Symphony

Ah, that explains the outstanding popularity of the 5th, Wise One, I mean in terms of general popularity. It is such an instantly recognizable beginning to everyone, although go a little bit further into the piece and the recognition will be significantly more rare, I think

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
In reply to:

Ah, that explains the outstanding popularity of the 5th, Wise One, I mean in terms of general popularity. It is such an instantly recognizable beginning to everyone, although go a little bit further into the piece and the recognition will be significantly more rare, I think

A humorist once wrote that Beethoven should have admitted his mistake and deleted the movements following the first, since everybody knows it stops there.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
a little bit further into the piece and the recognition will be significantly more rare, I think

Not for us Oldsters, Fishona, we listened to all of it, thinking of our men overseas, wondering if, and when we would see them again. Remembering the good times and hoping for a future.
Ah, wistfully staring into space.....

#75381 07/17/02 03:25 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
going waaaay back.... The 5th feeds me immediately right where I am in thought and emotion. Hamlet requires that I must concentrate. The 5th requires varying degrees of concentration from me...

WW, I think (sorry to drag things back to this debate!) that that is primarily what Margaret Kennedy meant, when she said, in Lucy Carmichael, that music is the least educative of the arts. She might also have said (but she didn't) that it is the most emotive.

Bollocks. I may never be able to adequately convey what I understood Kennedy to be saying, when she wrote that. All I know is, it made sense to me. If you take a bunch of people who are equally unfamiliar with all the arts, and shove 'em together in a room and have them sit through both the 5th and good ol' Spamlet, I think they would get more food for thought from Spamlet (the educative element) - though they might well be more moved by the 5th (the emotive element).

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.

#75382 07/17/02 08:23 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"All I know is, it made sense to me. If you take a bunch of people who are equally unfamiliar with all the arts, and shove 'em together in a room and have them sit through both the 5th and good ol' Spamlet, I think they would get more food for thought from Spamlet (the educative element)

And I disagree with you, MG, more than you can imagine. [Hey! We're friends here and we can agree to disagree!]

But this time I won't write another of those too-long reflections that few probably read here and Musick would only tear it to pieces, anyway--Hi, Musick!

But I will go on record saying that I strongly disagree with your point of view! You, MG, might have more food for thought about Hamlet. However, you might be surprised at the number in that same room who would testify to having at least an equal appetitue for the food for thought the one and only Mr. B had provided.

I think something that is a bit awkward here is I don't like these kinds of seeming contests and measures of worth. What's gotten me all along in this whole discussion is the casual put-down Kennedy made of music. And I know she is entirely incorrect in this view in the part of the novel you refer to here--and thanks for telling us about it! Her view really hit a nerve. Seems very much out-of-touch with the world of music and music lovers. Uh, oh....I'm started to get long-winded again. Let me escape now.

Beethoven regards, [and that's with a hug to you, MG!]
WW

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith