Print Thread
S
Silen Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Hello,

Does anyone know of anything like a "reverse dictionary", that is, a backwards dictionary? For the times when you're trying to find out every word that ends in "ation" or "ate", etc, etc. Maybe it should be a suffix dictionary?

Thanks a lot.
/silen

#74248 06/27/02 08:58 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
Welcome aBoard Silen!
to find out every word that ends in "ation" or "ate", etc

I thought at first that a "suffix" dictionary would almost certainly not exist. After all, how could it be useful? But then it occurred to me that maybe you're looking to find rhymes.
If so, a quick google found a rhyming dictionary at:
http://www.rhymezone.com/

If it's not rhymes you're after, I'd be fascinated to know of other uses for a "suffix dictionary"!

Fisk

veteran
veteran

I don't know of a paper dictionary for this; however, you can use merriam-webster on line to achieve that effect by typing in "*lation" (without the quotes) into the dictionary textbox and hitting return.

k

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
My paperback rhyming dictionary, which I've had for years, has in my experience been far better than any rhyming dictionary I've found on-line.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Keiva: you are most unwelcome to post in AWADtalk.

S
Silen Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Thanks for your help everyone, and thanks for your welcome. It's been excellent to read this message board, not just for the information, but because everyone seems to take care with spelling, grammar, typos, etc!! (Which I expected, of course). Most people on the message boards that I usually go to don't seem to care, using, (I'm sure), the "you know what I mean" defence; something I've always hated! :-)

A rhyming dictionary is obvious, but something I've never actually thought of asking for at a bookstore!! Have to check it out. I would use it for poems, but also in my work as a graphic designer. Having words that rhyme, or that are similar/related, is usually a great way to create a catchy phrase, or illustrate an idea.

Thanks again,
/silen

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Silen, as an example of what a good rhyming dictionary has, here are some of the "-AY-shun" words you requested, as taken from Whitfield's Untiversity Rhyming Dictionary. Numbers indicate the number of syllables.

The list continues for a bit more than eight columns; the text below is just the first column's worth.

2. nation, ration station 3. cibation, libation, limbation, jobation, probation, placation, vacation, peccation, plication, sulcation, truncation, location, vocation, furcation, piscation, gradation, foundation, laudation, sudation, creation, legation, ligation, rogation, purgation, jugation, striation, alation, halation, ablation, oblation, sublation, elation, delation, gelation, relation, velation, deflation, sufflation, inflation, conflation, dilation, vallation, illation, collation, prolation, cremation, sigmation, himation, gemmation, commation, summation, formation, planation, andation, enation, agnation, signation, cognation, domnation, conation, donation, phonation, pronation, lunation, libration, vibration, hydration, ceration, spheration, mguration, liration, oration, moration, nitration, titration, filtration, curation, duration, neuration, gyration, cessation, causation, pausation, natation, jactation, lactation, tracation, dictation, nictation, citation, saltation, peltation, cantation, plantation, dentation, mentation, tentation, floatation, notation, potation, rotation, quotation, votation, ccaptation, septation, flirtation, hortation, curtation, substation, gestation, testation, crustation, gustation, guttation, lutaation, mmuation, nutation, putation, equation, lavation, ovation, novation, starvation, nervation, servation, curvation, laxation, taxation, vexation, fixation, luxation, fluxation, 4. reprobation, approbation, perturbation, accubation, incubation, titubation, intubation, desiccation, exsiccation, deprecation, imprecation, comprecation, albication, radication, abdication, dedication, medication, predication, indication, vindication, syndication, replication, triplication, implication, complication, application, supplication, duplication, explication, varication, fabrication, imbrication, lubrication, rubrication, lorication, extrication, vesication, mastication, rustication, toxication, allocation, collocation ...

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Keiva:you are unwelcome to post in AWADtalk.Keiva:you are unwelcome to post in AWADtalk.
Keiva:you are unwelcome to post in AWADtalk.Keiva:you are unwelcome to post in AWADtalk.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 453 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith