Next Thread
Print Thread
#7180 10/02/00 05:54 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
I wonder if anyone has ever come across any of these words in use outside of this poem:
"Thou, paw-paw-paw; thou, glurd; thou, spotted
Glurd; thou, whitestap, lurching through
The high-grown brush; thou, pliant-footed,
Implex; thou, awagabu."
http://www.northshore.net/homepages/hope/engHollander.html

The glurd interests me, as the poet uses the word twice. While I am almost certain that "glurd" is an ivention of the poet, as the other names seem to be, I would be interested to learn otherwise.

#7181 10/02/00 09:29 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
You put this here just for me, didn't you?

As the cited poem indicates, the term is supposed to have originated at the beginning of time, when Adam was naming all the animals, but this is actually an anachronism. The glurd, or "spotted glurd" as is it's formal name, was in truth not discovered until the early 14th century. The glurds, now extinct, existed, in the general area of current-day Poland through Estonia. They were a slightly furry species covered in dark orange spots that ranged in height from about 40 to 60 cm. They apparently moved about with a rather slow, galloping walk, but there is some evidence providing that they occasionally harnessed rabbits as a faster method of travel.

Surprisingly, the glurds were a highly advanced "people", with their own developed matriarchal social system and language. With the aid of the newly-discovered Rosetta Root, etymologists have been able to translate parts of their language. They had a very precocious democratic government, presided over by a nudwik, or "presiding mother".

It is believed that they employed most of their time in alchemical sciences and exploration of the depths of the Baltic Sea, while some were relegated to simple farming. They lived in Hobbit-like dwellings in the sides of hills and the bases of large trees. (some think that Tolkien found inspiration for his popular novels in these creatures.)

Despite their petit size, most accounts say that they had sub-baritone voices, including the females. The term now used for this people is thought to have originated a word in their language meaning "horrible giant" which was heard most from them because it is what they screamed when encountered by humans, who were a towering four to five times as large as them. Unfortunately, this enlightened, parallel species died during the Black Plague in Europe.

Mr. Hollander freely used the word "glurd" in many of his poems because he suspected that, because they were discovered in such a dismal time, no one would know what they were, but, of course, I do.

#7182 10/03/00 01:59 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Thank you Jazz

I knew I'd heard the word before but I just couldn't put my finger on it. It must have been my Estonian great aunt who used to talk about them all the time.

#7183 10/04/00 09:30 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
and the awagabu?

Bingley

Bingley
#7184 10/04/00 10:34 AM
old hand
old hand
>.. awagabu?<
That's very simple: the glurds divided their time not in days, but in gabus. And because they were at least as advanced as we are, their periodic word discussion site on the slightly furry glurdnet was called awagabu.

#7185 10/04/00 01:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"A WORD A GABU":
wsieber, I had no idea you were such a wag.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 517 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith