Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#71559 05/28/02 04:03 PM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
maybe bubble and squeak has more of a soup-like consistency wonders Wordwind

In my experience, bubble and squeak consists of potato and cabbage mixed up dry and usually formed into a cake, but sometimes freeform, and then fried. It should be made from the day before's leftovers. It is delicious and maybe healthy if you use olive oil to fry with.

dxb.

#71560 05/28/02 04:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
RE: praties is Gaelic for potatoes

the T in praties is pronounced like a d pradies , just as Patty (Patrick) is Paddy- (as in paddy wagon).

We didn't call it a coddle, but a boiled dinner. (and boiled beef, if you had mostly beef in it, instead of sausage) then again, my family were dubliners, and we just called it stew (but our style of stew, (lamb and beef) is called dublin stew by others, Irish stew just has lamb.)

now days, almost everywhere but NY you can get a NY steak (a cut, like T-bone or sirloin) in NY they are just shell steaks!
Just like there is no canadian bacon in canada, and i suspect, no such thing as a "London Broil" (an other cut of meat for steak) in London.

#71561 05/28/02 04:26 PM
S
S

#71562 05/28/02 04:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't think it's Gaelic

MacBain's (http://www.ceantar.org/Dicts/MB2/index.html) et al. list buntàta as the Scots Gaelic. MacBain's is an etymological dictionary and it gives the Irish Gaelic as potáta or fataidhe.

#71563 05/28/02 06:24 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
boiled dinner

I've probably mentioned this before but it was a long time ago. Boiled dinner here in Newfoundland means salt beef, potatoes, cabbage, peas pudding, carrots, all boiled together. Also called Jiggs' dinner. (I don't think anyone knows who Jiggs was or what that refers to.) It must be a direct descendant of helen's boiled dinner, since so many people here have Irish roots.

I've only had it once, myself, since I'm not a Newfoundlander. The salt beef tasted like corned beef to me. (Which makes sense.) We had a special treat the night we tried Jiggs Dinner - moose - typically associated with Newfoundland although it was actually introduced here, it's not native to the island! It was yummy.

#71564 05/28/02 06:29 PM
H
addict
addict
H
buntàta as the Scots Gaelic...
Irish Gaelic as potáta or fataidhe.

These words all have an obvious derivation from the Spanish patata, which makes sense given that the Spanish originally brought the potato to Europe from South America. But it made me curious about the original name, presumably given by the Incas or a predecessor people.

AHD yielded the following:

Spanish patata, alteration (probably influenced by Quechua papa, white potato) of Taino batata, sweet potato.

Now, I know a little about indigenous languages of Central and South America (and I emphasize, a little), but I had never heard of Taino. So, I looked it up in AHD and was surprised to discover that it is the origin language for a surprising number of words common today (and that it comes from the Arawak people of the Bahamas and the Antilles): savannah, cay, yucca, hammock, mangrove, cassava, hurricane, and barbecue.

So when the Antipodeans toss some prawns on the barby, they are using an Antillean word. Who ever would have thought that the language of a now-extinct people on a smallish group of islands dominated for centuries by the Spanish would have contributed so many words to English? Kind of makes me interested in words, ya know?

#71565 05/28/02 07:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
an obvious derivation from the Spanish patata

MacBain's comments that they are from English, but, of course, the English is from Spanish (ultimately from Taino). The Scots contains a bit of folk etymology, the bun meaning root.

#71566 05/28/02 07:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The "cannon" in colcannon is from the Old Irish ceannan meaning white-headed. The "coddle" in Dublin Coddle is from the transitive verb meaning to cook in water just below the boiling point. The difference between "colcannon" and "bubble and squeak" might be the difference between English and Irish, but that is only a suspicion.

#71567 05/28/02 07:35 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Well, I wonder how the verb to mollycoddle fits into all this, if at all?

WW

PS: Thanks, Father Steve, for the derivations!

#71568 05/29/02 02:49 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Jiggs was the chief character in the George McManus comic strip Bringing Up Father which ran from around WWI until a few years ago. Jiggs was an Irish laborer who somehow struck it rich. His wife, Maggie, got the Society bug and became super-correct, trying to get in to Society. Jiggs is nearly always drawn wearing formal morning dress with a silk top hat. Although Maggie has made herself over, Jiggs keeps regressing to his old days. He spends as much time as he can in Dinty Moore's saloon (Yes, the canned beef stew is named for this institution) and he always wants corned beef and cabbage. which he can't have at home because it's too low-class. Corned beef and cabbage is the basic boiled dinner, called New England Boiled Dinner in these parts.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith