Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#70710 05/22/02 07:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
us gardeners do.
I have a hot bed. let's us please keep the snickering and laughter to dull roar, please!
it is on the south (ssw) side of my house. (actually built up against the foundation..) my house is build into a hill and the south/west side is on the down hill side.. there is a 2 foor high retaining wall, about 2 feet deep of dirts. the main floor joist on this side is about 4.5 feet above the ground. (on the opposite side, the main floor joist is only about 8 inches from ground level.)

the hot bed uses the foundation wall in back,(well actually the basement window.. a secondary function was to block the window as a means of egress a small wooded frame in front, and wooden frame sides. the cover is two window sashes (from double hung windows) each sash is about 30 inches square. It very effectively "blocks the window (the back support that holds the sash in place divides the window opening into two much smaller openings.. and the glass roof of the hot bed doesn't block the light.

i use my hot bed to start perennials from seed, that later get transplanted to the garden. (right now, a sick week hollyhock i missed last fall, has done well over the winter, and is now sending up a flower stalk!)

because of its orientation, and the warmth that leaks from throught the foundation, and window (not to mention the rich organic matter added to the soil from the compost heap) the hot bed never suffers from a hard freeze -- and its a great place to start seeds.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Without looking, how many pairs do we have on [our birthday] list?
A related question is graphed a short way into the same site cited above,
http://www.csicop.org/si/9809/coincidence.html

We need to know how many bridge hands have ever been dealt.
[picking a nit -e ] Perhaps we rather need to know how many bridge hands have ever been dealt to our board members or to people who subsequently had contact with our board members.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I personally was dealt thirteen spades in a bridge hand while in college. Though I did not shuffle the deck, I did cut the cards to the dealer, and while it's possible someone brought in a ringer I have always felt that it was unlikely.

Being a novice, I opened 7 spades and my left hand opponent overcalled seven NT. My partner doubled. I pitched the ace of spades on the first trick, the king on the second trick, etc. I still remember the look on my partner's face as she took the first eight tricks with her eight-card heart suit. Oh, did I tell you the opponents were vulnerable?

TEd
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear TEd: I thought the British were less inflationary than US. My recollection is that for them a billion is a milion million, where to us it is a thousand million. Correct me if I am wrong. At the moment I can't think where to check it, but will now try.Here's what I found:

t's like a British billion being 1,000,000 x 1,000,000, but a US billion being
merely 1000 x 1,000,000. The US version is the most commonly used,
by a long chalk, so it's the de facto definition. And the one we use here
on The Reg.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I believe that we have changed fairly recently.

I suppose that years ago it was a figure that didn't get used too much. Now with inflation a multi million pound or dollar deal gets into the trillions and hence confusion much more quickly. No-one in the City of London would like to be out on a deal by a factor of 1000. I don't know if that was the impetus behind change but it wouldn't surprise me.

M
old hand
old hand
M
Case in point. The present list of birthdays has 61 people listed with definitive birthdays. Without looking, how many pairs do we have on that list? That is, how many birthdays are there that two people share? - Faldage

Let's see...back in my mind reading days the math woked out to about a 50% chance of a birthday pair in an audience of 25.
So my guess is - Two days pair Awad birthdays.

Post edit: I peeked. Oops! Maybe it's the new math. Or maybe Awadians are abnormally, incestuously dated.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith