Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#70581 05/20/02 12:31 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Over two years ago my dad sent me an email about a fun thing he had found on the web. Thus began my addiction to Anu's AWAD, and I lost little time in dipping my toes in the shark-filled waters of the discussion board after having been looking over participants' shoulders for a while. That was more than 20 months ago.

In the time that followed a remarkable thing happened - coming here in a pursuit of the joys of language, I found I had interactions with folks from around the world in a manner I had never before experienced, never indeed dreamed possible. And I made some good friends, and watched in complete fascination as before my eyes a virtual community grew up and developed its own modus operandi and its own lex and its own shibboleths and its own distinctive brand of anarchic tolerance.

I loved it.

And I grew to love a lot of you guys too. My time here has been one of frequent joy and continuous discovery - where else could I hear about recipes from around the world, cosmic theorizing about time and matter, subtle erudition and gentle debunkery, quizzical Foolery, bawdy banter, quick rapier flicks of wit and slow depth charges of punnery - and often all in the same conversation, stretched over several world time zones and involving such a wonderfully disparate group of people!?

I have cherished the experience and the views and the camaraderie encountered here, and I thank each and every one of you from my heart for what you have shared with me in this community, drawn from your own life and personal experience. What I have come to particularly cherish is the practical demonstration of strength through the embrace of diversity, when resting on core values of tolerance and good humo(u)r.

If any of my posts have been offensive to you at some time, I beg your forgiveness. If my tongue has ever wagged unduly vitriolic or bumptious, I ask your pardon - I tend to speak from the heart when perhaps my head should be more involved ;) If anything I have ever said has made you smile or chuckle, I am glad to have also shared a brighter moment with you. If any of my words have ever moved you, thank you for letting me into your heart too.

For personal reasons I have to be away from here now. I wish you all the best for the future of this board.

A

#70582 05/20/02 01:46 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
D.M., it is my fervent hope that this will not be permanent. If at any time you should change your mind, know that you will be welcomed with open arms.

#70583 05/20/02 02:37 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Hear, Hear!!

#70584 05/20/02 05:56 AM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
If anything I have ever said has made you smile or chuckle, I am glad to have also shared a brighter moment with you. If any of my words have ever moved you, thank you for letting me into your heart too.

You've done both, my friend, and both will be sadly missed. Please take care of yourself. I'll remember you with a hoping that you'll come back to us.

Hev

#70585 05/20/02 06:09 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Where am I going to get expert advice on Welsh pronunciaton now?

I'll miss you.

#70586 05/20/02 07:28 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Damn it, mav - now I won't be able to make sheep jokes at your expense!
It is my sincere hoope that you will be able to return to the fold at a future date and once again enchant us with your quick and quirky humour and your terrible puns!

all the best, wherever and whatever you do.

#70587 05/20/02 11:52 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dearest A,

As I've told you, you will be missed. Despite the good efforts of many, in recent months the board just hasn't been up to its past standards, and your absence will accentuate that sad fact. But we all do what we must. One of my favorite sayings: "This, too, shall pass."

Hang in there, my leetle leek, and we shall merrily meet anon.

#70588 05/20/02 12:09 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Mav,

Who to say "Dear Mav" to now? Nobody.

Well, whatever the personal reasons are for your impending absence, I hope they'll turn around and bring you back here....if for no other reason than Dr. Bill has been scrounging up so busily dozens of words, including bumboat man, in a valiant attempt to keep us on course in our separate bumboats--confections of sweet words, baskets of fruity words, and words to sit back and smoke, like the tobacco off a bumboat.

I'll look forward to reading an entry from you sooner than later in the future.

Best regards,
WW

#70589 05/20/02 01:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, A~...I just can't imagine this place without ya, mate. All the brighter moments and heartfelt tears we've shared as friends and fellow word-addicts will always be a measure of my fondness for you and this site. You, indeed, have a gift for moving eloquence and a most spontaneous, "original" humor! Hopefully your leaving translates more into the venue of a "hiatus" while you attend to the priorities of your life. Cheers, mate! You will be missed.

Smoothe sailing over steady seas......

#70590 05/20/02 01:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
like the Welchman you are, you are welching on the implied contract! who else can we count on for wit, and poetry, everything else you do here?

go ahead leave... they were sour grapes any way, what Mav served...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 605 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith