Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#69595 05/15/02 03:16 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
I have a copy (reprinted) of a famous mid-17th century schoolbook, J.A.Comenius' Orbis Sensualium Pictus, written in English and Latin (it was used to teach Latin). It has a lot about tradesmen. Some selections:

The plowman yoketh oxen to a plough and holdeth the plow-stilt in his left hand and the plow-staff in his right hand ... The reaper sheareth the ripe corn with a sickle, gathereth up the handfuls, and bindeth the sheaves. The thrasher thrasheth corn on the barn floor with a flayl, tosseth it in a winnowing-basket ... The mower maketh hay in a meadow, cutting down grass with a sithe and raketh it together with a rake, he maketh up cocks with a fork & carrieth it on cariages into the hay-barn.

The neat-heard calleth out the heards out of the beasthouses with a horn and driveth them to feed.

The fowler maketh a bed, spreadeth a bird-net, throweth bait upon it, and hiding himself in a hut he allureth birds by the chirping of bird-lures ...

Flax is tied to a distaff by the spinster, which with her left hand pulleth out the thred, and with her right hand turneth a wheel or a spindle upon which is a wharl.

The webster undoeth the clewes into warp, and wrappeth it about the beam, and as he sitteth in his loom, he treadeth upon the treddles with his feet.

Linnen-webs are bleached in the sun with water poured on them till they be white. Of them the sempster seweth shirts, hand-kirchers, bands and caps.

The box-maker ... maketh tables, boards, chests etc.
The turner, sitting over the treddle turneth with a throw, upon a turners bench, bowls, tops, puppets and such like turners work.

The roper twisteth cords of tow, or hemp (which he wrappeth about himself) by the turning of a wheel. Thus there are made, first cords, then ropes, and at last cables. The cordwainer cutteth great thongs, bridles, girdles, sword-belts, pouches, port-mantles etc. out of a beast-hide.

The printer hath copper letters in a great number put into boxes. The compositor taketh them out one by one and (according to the copy, which he hath fastened before him in a visorium) composeth words in a composing-stick, till a line be made, he putteth these in a galley, till a page be made, and these again in a form, and he locketh them up in iron chases, with coyns, lest they should drop out, and putteth them under the press. Then the pressman beateth it over wih printers-ink by means of balls, spreadeth upon it the papers, put in the frisket, which being put under the spindle, on the coffin, and pressed down with the bar he maketh to take impressions.

#69596 05/15/02 03:29 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
tinsmith

G
old hand
old hand
G
On the last day I was descending Loveland
Pass, exhilarating in the thrill of doing 56 mph (the fastest I've ever gotten my bike) when I heard a
high-pitched scream behind me. Then I felt a whoosh as a tandem roared past me at a bit over 70. The
scream I heard was from the stoker, a female, who repeated over and over as they rode out of sight, "I'm
seeing a lawyer tomorrow. Tomorrow, do you understand me? TOMORROW!"

Ah, the poor lass wasn't aware that a disc brake can be fitted to the rear hub and CONTROLLED BY THE STOKER! I don't have such a brake on mine, however. [evil grin e] And, of course, Dracula rode a tandem with Bram Stoker.

#69598 05/15/02 10:50 AM
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
From byb's long selection: Flax is tied to a distaff by the spinster

Is there something more here, connecting with the modern usage of those terms?

#69599 05/15/02 11:21 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oooh, Byb, what a wonderful thing to share--thank you!!
the plow-stilt in his left hand and the plow-staff in his right hand
'Stilt' and 'staff'? Were these just the left and right handles of the plow, or did one or both have a specific function? My uncle's plow was very simple: just the frame, the turning fork, and handles; no brake, or anything like that.

Capital Kiwi
, does any of this sound familiar to you?
The printer hath copper letters in a great number put into boxes. The compositor taketh them out one by one and (according to the copy, which he hath fastened before him in a visorium) composeth words in a composing-stick, till a line be made, he putteth these in a galley, till a page be made, and these again in a form, and he locketh them up in iron chases, with coyns, lest they should drop out, and putteth them under the press. Then the pressman beateth it over wih printers-ink by means of balls, spreadeth upon it the papers, put in the frisket, which being put under the spindle, on the coffin, and pressed down with the bar he maketh to take impressions.

#69600 05/15/02 02:41 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Here is a URL with many pictures about home spinning: I could not get a clear idea of function of distaff.

http://www.cyberport.net/museum/pages/themes/LHD1.html

#69601 05/15/02 03:51 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Among the "rude mechanicals" Shakespeare introduces in A Midsummer Night's Dream are: Quince, a carpenter; Snug, a joiner; Bottom, a weaver; Flute, a bellows-mender; Snout, a tinker; and Starveling, a tailor. Can't imagine making a living mending bellows. As I recall, the itinerant travelers in Ireland are also known as tinkers. M-W defines a joiner as a person who constructs articles by joining pieces of wood.

#69602 05/15/02 04:11 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear slithy: just as there are obsolete occupations, there are obsolete occupational injuries. There used to be a medical diagnosis "Weavers bottom" in which long hours of sitting on a hard bench caused pathologic changes in ligaments and tendons, scarring and calcification, ultmately iincapacitating.
There was an analooous "Coachman's knee" from many hours sitting on carriage seat bracing posterior of knee against the front part of the seat.

#69603 05/15/02 04:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
distaff
SYLLABICATION: dis·taff
PRONUNCIATION: dstf
NOUN: 1a. A staff that holds on its cleft end the unspun flax, wool, or tow from which thread is drawn in spinning by hand. b. An attachment for a spinning wheel that serves this purpose. 2. Work and concerns traditionally considered important to women. 3. Women considered as a group.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English distaf, from Old English distæf : dis-, bunch of flax + stæf, staff.

Flax is harder to spin than wool the distaff helps to manage the work. (it hold the tow (raw material)
Wool get rolled into little fluffy sausages.. but flax is is long fibers, more like hair than anything else.. and evenly pulling down strand to work them in, is difficult.
(the site that is linked to above also shows a niddy noddy.. i have one of those!)

#69604 05/15/02 05:06 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Capital Kiwi, does any of this sound familiar to you?
... Then the pressman beateth it over wih printers-ink by means of balls,

Apparently, CapK left out a few details in last year's travelog.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 450 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith