Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#69545 05/12/02 07:22 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear wwh,

What a treasure trove of information is in your paragraph about matches! You've lit a flame or two in my brain...

My great grandfather was a country doctor, and, the classic ending to a country doctor's life, he died of pneumonia contracted after getting off his horse to cross a creek in Dinwiddie on a bad winter's day...Dr. John Chambers, buried out in the family graveyard beyond the grove. I've got his dictionary!!! And his grammar text, which has all kinds of clauses identified that we never heard about in school.

Book regards,
WW

#69546 05/12/02 09:03 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#69547 05/12/02 09:13 PM
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
A truly lovely story here:

The French found the odor of [the original fricton-matches] so repellent that in 1830 a Paris chemist, Charles Sauria, reformulated a combustion compound based on phosphorus. [But] Dr. Saura ... but unwittingly ushered in a near epidemic of a deadly disease known as "phossy jaw." Phosphorus was highly poisonous. Phosphorus matches were being manufactured in large quantitiles. Hundreds of factory workers developed phossy jaw, a necrosis that poisons the body's bones, especially those of the jaw. Babies sucking on match heads developed the syndrome, which caused infant skeletal deformities. And scraping the heads off a single pack of matches yield enough phosphorus to commit suicide or murder; both events were reported.

[Finally,] the first nonpoisonous match was introduced in 1911 by the Diamond Match Comapany. ... And as a humanitarian gesture, which won public commendation from President Taft, Diamond forfeited patent rights, allowing rival companies to introduce nonpoisonous matches. The company later won a prestigious for the elimination of an occupational disease.

Diamond simulateously solved another problem. The Sauria formula had a very low ignition point and lit at the slightest friction; many fires were ignited by rats gnawing on match heads at night. The new Diamond compound had a much higher ignition point and a taste entirely unattractive to rats.

#69548 05/12/02 10:19 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Isn't Ted going to write an amusing story about Phossy/Fosse and Matches?

Blazing regards,
WordWatcher

#69549 05/13/02 12:20 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bill:

With all due respect, I don't think you're right about the phosphorus on the watch dials. If I correctly remember a parent's telling me during my childhood, the people w4ere painting radium onto the watch dials. The radium was causing cancers in the lips, tongue, jaw and perhaps esophagus.

TEd

TEd
#69550 05/13/02 01:19 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
The radium was indeed radioactive and induced cancers of the mouth and lips, as well as other head and neck cancers in the women who painted the dials. Radium also can cause cancers of the bone because it is absorbed into the bone like calcium.

#69551 05/13/02 01:23 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear TEd:Besides radium, there are several other methods of making "glow in the dark" watch dials. There are various non-radioactive phosphorus compounds that will glow in the dark after being exposed to light. Some modern compounds can glow for 10 to 15 hours after a relatively short exposures to bright light.
Tritium, like radium, is radioactive, but it is much safer. Tritium, a form of hydrogen, has a reasonably
short 12 year half life so it doesn't have the long term dangers that radium has, and it decays into
harmless helium. The beta particles that tritium gives off can not even penetrate the outer layer of dead skin on your body, let alone the watch crystal and watch case.

#69552 05/13/02 03:17 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Sir William Osler was not just a famous physician at Johns Hopkins. He was one of the original four members of the faculty of the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine at its founding (the others being Drs. Halsted, Welch and Kelley). Osler was the chief and, along with the others, revolutionized the teaching of medicine. It was these four doctors who got medical training away from an apprenticeship program and into rigourous academic training with practical work with the patients in the hospital, to which the med. school was attached. They also developed the system of internship and residency. Osler was the author of a textbook which was a compendium of medical scholarship and practice at the time. Halstead, who taught and practiced surgery, was the inventor of many surgical procedures, most notably the radical mastectomy which, although a cruel procedure, saved many women from death by breast cancer. Kelley was a gynecologist and surgeon and the inventor of the Kelley clamp, among other things. Welch was the pathologist; JHU Med school library is named for him.

#69553 05/13/02 03:49 AM
D
addict
addict
D
It was these four doctors who got medical training away from an apprenticeship program and into rigourous academic training with practical work with the patients in the hospital, to which the med. school was attached. They also developed the system of internship and residency.

And I hold them personally responsible for all my pain.

#69554 05/13/02 04:58 AM
G
old hand
old hand
G
Now, back on thread: Anybody know where I can find a decent slide rule maker? How abut a buggy whip shop? Blacksmiths are pretty well marginalized. Whalebone corset makers are hard to find. Even vacuum tubes for radios are now specialty items.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 703 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith