Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#68852 05/05/02 09:21 PM
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I was watching a scene on TV the other day, but with the sound on mute, and my experience got me to thinking about non-auditory language processing.

Although I cannot interpret everything someone says based on lip reading, I can do a bit of it, and I've noticed that when I comprehend what is being said, there is no conscious process of "hmmmm ... the mouth shaped x way, so he said so-and-so ..."; rather, I "hear" what is being said immediately, just as if it had been uttered, and the words vocalize in my head just if the sounds had been uttered.

It fascinates me to have such a concrete example of the language processing of my brain, separate from auditory processing, and I am now wondering if you all have had similar experiences.

#68853 05/05/02 09:30 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Sparteye: I wish I could lip read, because I only get about one word in ten. But I have noticed I can understand better when someone is facing me, and does not have hand in front of mouth. I must be getting some information, but not enough, from seeing lips and mouth move.

#68854 05/05/02 11:50 PM
A
addict
addict
A
About 17 years ago, I had an accident that left me partially, and thank goodness, temporarily, deaf. During that few months, I became very good at lip reading. I no longer need to rely on it, however, years of noise have no doubt done their toll on my hearing, and like Dr. Bill says, it is much easier for me to comprehend someone when they face me, and do not have their mouth covered. Mustaches are a nuisance, just don't tell my mustachioed hubby I said that!

#68855 05/05/02 11:56 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#68856 05/06/02 02:06 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I am sitting here trying to figure out whether what I have in my head from either lip-reading or subtitles is what I would consider auditory or not. I suppose it could be, considering that I don't get a picture of the written words in my head. I guess it's the same "voice" I "hear" when I read; all books, and all of your-all's writings, have the same "voice": mine. Never mind that I know perfectly well that you don't all sound like me.

I really think there ought to be a different word for this type of processing of information; it isn't really hearing, or seeing.

#68857 05/06/02 02:16 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I know perfectly well that you don't all sound like me.

oh, yeah? so which side of the sheep's painted black again? 'sides, you know fer sure I sound zackly like you...

#68858 05/06/02 02:28 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
processing of information; it isn't really hearing, or seeing

mmm, I agree with that Jackie. I believe that our brains are pattern-making and matching tools in their fundamental workings - and that these patterns then find expression through sensory outputs as a secondary function. In other words, first pattern, then specific language: hence (as per our previous descussions elsewhere) a baby growing up in a 'sign' household will make babbling 'noises' with their hands at the same precise points of development as is achieved by the growing burbles and articulations of a speaking child. The same areas of the brain are mapping outputs to two different devices but the underlying pattern analysis and recognition is common to both.

(If anyone new here is interested, there are some previous discussions on the Board - perhpaps one of our bloodhounds can LIU, since it's 4:30am here, and I gotta sleep. mmm, now dreams, that's a rich corroboration of the patterns theory...!)

#68859 05/06/02 02:29 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
I believe that a good part of comprehension of spoken language depends on facial expressions, gestures and other body language as well as some degree of lip reading. If you have learned, or attempted to learn, a foreign language, you feel yourself really adept at it when you can understand someone on the telephone; i.e., when you can't see them.

While I don't have too much trouble understanding someone speaking French or Italian face to face, it's very difficult on the phone. Or watching a foreign-language move. As long as you can see the faces of the characters speaking, you can understand them; but if they have their backs turned, or the camera is not on their faces, or in the case of a voice-over, it's tough.

Those of you whose first language is not English -- What is your experience?

#68860 05/06/02 02:59 AM
A
addict
addict
A
I guess it's the same "voice" I "hear" when I read; all books, and all of your-all's writings, have the same "voice": mine. Never mind that I know perfectly well that you don't all sound like me.

Now that you mention it, Jackie, I hear my own voice too when I see written words. But, if I am reading a letter written by my aunt, I hear her voice, or when I get an IM from a friend whom I have spoken to, I hear their voice. Now that I have spoken with a couple of folks on the board, I hear their voices when I read their posts. Even get their little accents going in my mind! Jackie, ya'll know what I'm talkin' 'bout?

#68861 05/06/02 06:56 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Yes, talking on the phone is much more difficult than face to face, and TV programmes that have been dubbed into Indonesian -- forget about it.

Bingley

Bingley
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith