Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#66812 04/22/02 11:06 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Faust is already bound in Hell. And Hell is modernity.
Interesting analysis, inselpeter. If Faust is already bound in hell, he has nothing to fear from the devil.

Can it be that Faust does not want to dwell on a thing of beauty because beauty is wasting? As Nietsche said: "No thorn goes as deep as the rose's, and love is more cruel than lust."

Is Faust tricking the devil, insalpeter, just as Br'er Rabbit tricked Br'er Fox? If hell is perpetual torment custom-designed for each inmate, then what better torment for a man who values beauty so little he will forfeit beauty to escape hell, than to condemn that man to an eternity contemplating beauty without end?

If Faust loses his wager, insalpeter, he will find in hell what he could not find in life: heaven itself.

#66813 04/23/02 01:00 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<If Faust is already bound in hell...>>

Oh, I like what you have to say about it much better. Thanks!

IP

#66814 04/23/02 02:12 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And in that Heaven of all their wish,
There shall be no more land, say fish.

from the poem Heaven, by Rupert Brooke (1887-1915)

The Only WO'N!

#66815 04/23/02 10:09 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have a collection of beauteous experiences. This is one of my favorites. It was a hotter than Hades July and I sought relief in camping in the Upper Penninsula along the north coast of Lake Michigan. My best memory of that trip is of waking up at dawn on the sands of North Lake Michigan, the haze obscuring everything from view. I walked out into the nearly frigid, crystaline waters to perform my morning ablutions. There were small, white, downy feathers floating there. It was as if the angels had just left and I knew heaven, if only for one instant.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I remember a time, about 3 years ago, a close friend needed a car to leave town. So I gave it to her. No really, the whole thing, I did not lend it to her. Two Days later it snowed like crazy and the car was buried under a foot and a half of snow, and the city plows gave it an extra layer of wet dirty snow (just for fun, I guess). It was the end of the second day after the snow and she called me at work to tell me she needed to use the car that evening. I walked the long way home that evening, stopping for a cup of joe to help me with the extra burst of life I needed for shoveling snow, and as I approached the space which my car was parked, I could see it was gone and a row of huge trailers was parked in its spot. "Early Edition" (TV Show) was filming in my 'hood, and the city tow trucks had moved my car.

They cleaned it off and towed it around the corner leaving it in front of my house.

(5) Stan Getz Corcovado (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars)

Alex - I had a chance to hear Stan play in 1990, he still had *it. 'Corcovado' is one of my favorites, as well.

ps. *Enigma wants 'Getz' to be 'geyser'

pps. We all should define beauty differently!

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Two friend, Sam and Joe, were having lunch and the conversation came 'round to what books they'd recently read.
Sam says "I just re-read a book about a guy who sells his soul to the devil. Haven't read it since High School."
Joe asks "What's it called?"
Sam ruminates, telling Joe much of the plot however he cannot remember the title. Finally Sam throws his hands in the air ..."I'd sell my soul to the devil right now if he could tell me the name of that book."
At that point a man taps him on the shoulder and says "Faust."
Sam pales. The man explains quickly:"I am a lip reader."

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith