Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#64216 04/13/02 11:43 AM
P
addict
addict
P
Apropos of Stales's original post:

"And why is it that most of us never use a word of English origin if we can find a manufactured Greek one? One sees a good example of this in the rapid disappearance of English flower names. What until twenty years ago was universally called a snapdragon is now called an antirrhinum, a word no one can spell without consulting a dictionary. Forget-me-nots are coming more and more to be called myosotis. Many other names, Red Hot Poker, Mind Your Own Business, Love Lies Bleeding, London Pride, are disappearing in favour of colourless Greek names out of botany textbooks. I had better not continue too long on this subject, because last time I mentioned flowers in this column an indignant lady wrote in to say that flowers are bourgeois. But I don't think it a good augury for the future of the English language that 'marigold' should be dropped in favour of 'calendula', while the pleasant little Cheddar Pink loses its name and becomes merely Dianthus Caesius."

George Orwell, As I please [column in the newspaper Tribune], 21 April 1944

#64217 04/13/02 12:43 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
But there is a third pronunciation used in English-speaking countries, which is to pronounce Latin using the same rules as you would use for English.

Maybe it's a matter of personal taste, but it's never bothered me to hear regis or Ursa Major given the English pronunciation. My Latin is pretty shaky, but if we remained purists, wouldn't we have to say Kaiser for Caesar?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith