Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm not saying nothin' about a dishonorable discharge for failure to obey orders. Nothin', you hear me, nothin'.

TEd
#63519 04/03/02 09:50 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Honoring dear Jackie's request (and getting two easy posts), I politely direct you to the continuation of this thread at the link below.

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=63183

#63520 04/04/02 03:20 AM
M
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Wade a minnit (and I wasn't going to browse the board tonight - need....sleeeep......) - I say this post IS about language.

I asked for people's personal (not dictionary) definitions of nude and naked. Last I checked, both them is words. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the tag line under the Q&A title actually says, "Got a question about a word? post it here." Well, I got the question I posted about TWO words - naked and nude. And I am genuinely interested in people's answers.

Eh, so we got a little sidetracked in all the Angelic excitement of addiction, and the journey into member. So sue us.

Back to them words: Really, I'm curious to know how people define these for themselves - or what people think of when they hear each. There have been some interesting (to me, anyway) posts on this subject here. I don't see the need to move it to Miscellany. Them as wants to be jolly and rude can go to Keiva's alternate post (I'll be popping in there too, I luuuurrve jolly and rude!) but this IS SO a language thread, and I beg people who have genuine responses to the original question, to post 'em HERE.

And Jackie - I understand your concern with keeping the board compartmentalised, but please, if you're thinking what I've said above don't fit Q&A - just don't visit this thread here anymore.

Edit PS: There are other threads in this category that actually aren't about words, per se. Is someone going to shoo all of them into Miscellany or can we all just relax a little?

#63521 04/04/02 03:32 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm sure that what bothered Jackie was the first several messages where three of you had a nice chat about members -- that's the sort of thing we've worked diligently over time to limit in Q&A. it's covered in the FAQ. we have gotten lax of late, but I guess this one tipped the scale for her.

-joe (just the FAQs) friday

#63522 04/04/02 03:42 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As a matter of fact, mg, with the exception of this: "So I'm very curious to find out what people's personal ideas about nude and naked are. Me, I'm nude when I'm working or at a nude beach; the rest of the time if I'm not sporting clothes, I reckon I'm naked. Nude, I feel safe; naked, I feel an element of danger...." and your originating post, it is my opinion that none of your posts in this thread belong anywhere in AWADtalk.

Also-- it was not on behalf of myself that I asked that this thread be moved. Nor was it I who originally suggested keeping Q&A reserved for serious language discussion. But the people I am thinking of are not able to be here just now, and so I made that post in their stead, really. Yes, there have been a great many non-language posts here lately. I am not an enforcer. No one here can be. I felt a need to post a reminder, is all. If most of the group wish to throw out that agreement, or if individuals continue to ignore it, then so be it. I have no personal stake, either way--other than the sadness I'm sure to feel if we lose people.

#63523 04/04/02 11:43 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
>> it is my opinion that none of your posts in this thread belong anywhere in AWADtalk.

A bit of Gilbert and Sullivan's Mikado may perhaps enlighten us and lighten our spirit?
(MIDI: http://math.boisestate.edu/gas/mikado/html/so_please_you.html)

the young gals:
So please you, Sir, we much regret
If we have failed in etiquette
Towards a man of rank so high--
We shall know better by and by.
But youth, of course, must have its fling,
So pardon us, so pardon us,
And don't, in girlhood's happy spring,
Be hard on us, be hard on us,
If we're inclined to dance and sing. Tra la la la la
(Dancing.)

the august Pooh-bah personage:
I think you ought to recollect
You cannot show too much respect
Towards the highly titled few;
But nobody does, and why should you?
That youth at us should have its fling,
Is hard on us, is hard on us;
To our prerogative we cling--
So pardon us, so pardon us,
If we decline to dance and sing. Tra la la la la

#63524 04/04/02 01:55 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I just remembered being both nude and naked. I had to lie on a table, and two pretty girls shaved off my pubic hair, and tattooed me. The design was a mystic pattern of dots. I did not get an erection. then or ever afterwards The tattooes were for aiming the torture machine used to destroy my manhood.
It was preparation for irradiation treatment for Ca of prostate by linear accelerator.

#63525 04/04/02 02:23 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Interesting distinction, now that you mention it.

Nude is unclothed.

Naked implies being exposed (to what?), unprotected, and vulnerable, as well.

#63526 04/05/02 02:26 AM
M
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Is Jackie a prude?
Is she never nude?
Maybe never naked.

Damn, I can't find a short-sentence rhymin' line to finish my li'l pome.

Jackie, don't presume to speak for others. I know I'd go ballistic if someone thought they could safely post on my behalf. If someone has a problem with this thread, he or she can post his or her thoughts - I don't suppose, this being a discussion board for word lovers, that anyone here is incapaable of speaking (writing!) for him/herself.

Obviously I find the differences between naked and nude very interesting. I also find modelling a fascinating occupation and it's something I love, for many reasons (no, the nudity is not first among them). I was hoping to hear what other people thought about the distinction between the two states. Within the discussion I was hoping we might get to dispelling some IGNORANCE and PREJUDICE about nudity.

Thanks for giving us a li'l taste of what I was hoping to combat.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: Thank you to Keiva for trying to lighten the mood, and

Thank you to those who are taking this thread "seriously" in that they are posting their responses to/thoughts on my original question.

And if anyone has any questions about nude modelling - why, I'd love to try and answer them for you. Either post them here, where we can cast the light of knowledge farther, or PM me.

#63527 04/05/02 02:57 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This is a language-discussion board. Or at least it started out that way. If it is the will of most people that that change, then as I said, so be it. I enjoyed it while we had it. Make that loved.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith