Page 1 of 2 1 2
#63291 04/01/02 08:48 PM
H
Hyla Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
H
This weekend I ran across the word "hooah," in use by the fella who would be my brother-in-law if I went and got married, which I ain't gonna do, and she ain't either.

In any case - he is in the Army reserves (about to go active...yikes) and introduced me to this term. It is apparently used in the Army to mean just about anything - he likened it to the accursed term "smurf" and its widespread usage in the early '80s or so. After googling around a bit, I found this list of suggested meanings, which I assume is not intended to exclude other possible meanings:

1.Good copy, solid copy, roger, good or great; message received, understood.
2.Glad to meet you; welcome.
3.I do not know, but will check on it.
4.I haven't the vaguest idea.
5.I am not listening.
6.That is enough of your drivel--sit down.
7.Stop sniveling.
8.You've got to be kidding.
9.Yes.
10.Thank you.
11.Go to the next [briefing] slide.
12.You have taken the correct action.
13.I don't know what that means, but am too embarrassed to ask for clarification.
14.That is really neat, I want one too.
15.Amen.

What I couldn't find is where the heck this comes from. I was also curious as to when it came into use. I know we've got at least a couple of former servicemen here (BobY, Dr. Bill), but am not sure if any of them were Army - and apparently other branches of the armed services have their own equivalent terms.

So - any ideas where the Army got "hooah" or other suggestions for use of this flexible word?

#63292 04/01/02 09:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hi Hyla! Good to see you back around!

In the brilliant film, Scent of a Woman, Al Pacino turns in, IMHO, one of the greatest screen performances ever, and hooah! is the pet expression of his surly blind character, Lt. Com. Frank Slade. I was never sure how to spell it, though...thought I "saw" a "w" in front of it.

In fact, I'd tell any aspiring actor to go and watch Scent of a Woman four or five times, and if Pacino's performance doesn't do anything for you, then do something else. 'Cause that's acting!

The way he inflects hooah! in the film (and it varies, of course, in nuance from scene to scene) is something akin to a mix of a cynical hurrah! and touché.

But rent the movie and see what you think...it's worth watching anyway, even if you've seen it before.

Here's some stills from the flick:
http://lavender.fortunecity.com/foxybrown/515/scentofawoman.html

[excited edit!!]: Hyla! I found a site for the film with an audio sound bite of Whoooah, spelt with the "w" and an extra "o"! Here:

http://www.geocities.com/aaronbcaldwell/Scent.html

#63293 04/01/02 10:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I used to use Pacino's hoooah! in lieu of AoL's "you've got mail!" : )

(insert witticism here)

#63294 04/01/02 10:22 PM
veteran
veteran

Another of my favorite movies. Great show.

I can't judge the acting except to say that I just really, really like it.

My favorite scene is where he's taking the boy's defense and telling them he'd like to take a flame-thrower to the place. Gives me shivers every time.

k

#63295 04/01/02 11:44 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Whoooah, Whit, what a great addition to an interesting discussion was the URLing of the sound bite.

On the other hand, I thought the movie The Scent of a Woman, as well as Pacino's acting, was exceedingly unbrilliant, to the extent of being mediocre.

Further, the expression Whooah would not serve it's function if it's meaning had perimeters that we could affix. The function of in-group words like Whooah is to solidify the in-group, exclude the out-group, and to strengthen the belief in the rightness of their mutual action. Vagueness is the necessary vogue.

And a "sincere" Gung-Ho and Good night, and a THANK YOU to all the Jar-Heads all over the Globe.

#63296 04/02/02 02:10 AM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
and hooah! is the pet expression of his surly blind character,

Thank you, W'ON, I could hear the voice in my head spooky... and couldn't think of where it was from. Thanks for saving me from having to kick myself... And, IMHO, De Niro's performance in this was pretty darn good. Up there with Denzel in Training Day... [tongue in cheek-e]

Hev

#63297 04/02/02 02:59 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Well, Hyla, I'm ex-Army and have never heard it in any of the meanings you suggest. Which is not to say I have never heard it, but probably not the same word. What I have heard is a pronunciation used in certain parts of the South for a one-syllable word meaning 'a lady of the night', which is pronounced frequently in these parts as a homonym for a word denoting a garden tool.

#63298 04/02/02 03:05 AM
D
addict
addict
D
[2c]

I thought it started as a Marine thing.

[/2c]

#63299 04/02/02 09:27 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I've been around Army types for a long while ... and had not heard the whooah word (noise?) until the last ten years. Have sent Email to The Major and await a response ... may be awhile but I will post if (when) get the word.
Whooah!

#63300 04/02/02 11:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hyla, even though you're not around much , you always manage to come up with the most intriguing posts! My teenage dau. says Hooah, as kind of a sardonic hooray. I wonder if some of these widespread-but-unknown-etymology things like this, and maybe indianaugust's 'gimme a break' got their fame from the movies, television, or radio? For ex., in twenty years, how many people under 30 will know where "make my day" came from?
Good to have you back, sir!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith