Page 1 of 2 1 2
#63201 04/01/02 04:58 PM
R
Rubrick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
My usual Bank Holiday Monday routine and I was relaxing in bed with a quiz book and a mug of joe. One of the 'harder' questions I got (according to the book) was If someone from Australia is an Australian, then what is someone from New Zealand called?

I said New Zealander and got it wrong (although I'm crying foul) and the correct answer made no sense to me, at all, when I read it. So before revealing what was the 'correct' answer I'll throw it out to the forum. Perhaps this is the time to find out something I never knew.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I learned "Zilder" here, but Max and CapK were probably pulling the wool (ahem)....

post-edit: Faldage did one of those anal searches of the annals and discovered that it was indeed Jackie who used the word Zilder for the first time, not either of our esteemed Kiwis. Nice coinage, Jackie!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, my book BY a New Zealander calls them New Zealanders, so I'm not real sure what else to say! My next guess would be New Zealandans. Surely the book wouldn't have meant Aotearoans or Kiwis!?

R
Rubrick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Okay, I won't wait for the Antipodeans to wake up so I'll give you the answer now. It's the very disappointing New Zealand.

I told you that it made no sense. Is it grammatically correct? I don't think so.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's gotta be a typo.

R
Rubrick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
It's gotta be a typo.

Ah, if only it were that easy. Nope. There was an editor's note saying that it wasn't New Zealander!!!

The plot thicketh.....

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I woulda said New Zealish but then I would say that water is wet, so who am I to say?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's maybe a typo. People from New Zealand are, quite definitely, New Zealanders. However, in "Nationality" on my passport, it has "New Zealand". Since I've never held another nationality, I don't know whether this is just a short hand or not.

So ... it could be right, I guess. But I don't think so.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
A
addict
addict
A
However, in "Nationality" on my passport, it has "New Zealand".

This is correct CK. Nationality refers to the nation you belong to by origin, birth, or naturalization. Not what a person from that country calls themselves. When I cross the border into Canada and am asked my nationality, I answer "U.S.". I don't say "American". I haven't been corrected on this yet, and I cross this international border weekly.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's the very disappointing New Zealand.
Well, that's flat ridiculous--nobody could be a New Zealand.
(Augh, I can't stand it---ER!)

M
old hand
old hand
M
But but but Angel....do you really expect a border guard to be able to correct you on such a fine linguistic point?! [snob-e] (O dear, I can hear all the border guards blowing raspberries at me from here!)

I only ask because whenever I cross the border and get asked my nationality, I say, "Canadian" - and they've never corrected me, either.

I would always answer "Canadian" if asked my nationality; if asked my country of origin, I would answer "Canada." To me, the former question begs for an adjectival answer, and the latter for a noun.

old hand
old hand
> ...what is someone from New Zealand called?

Umm

David?

Max?

CapK?

etc.

All of which are technically more correct than "New Zealand". It may not be a typo in that guy's book - but you can bet it was a typo in the book he got it from.

What a bunchacrap. If 3 million of them think they're New Zealanders - then they're New Zealanders.

So, is a person from Zealand a Zealand? Nope - they're Zealanders.

Rubie - tell the guy stales reckons he's a cretin.

stales

#63213 04/02/02 09:34 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

R
Rubrick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
However, in "Nationality" on my passport, it has "New Zealand". Since I've never held another nationality, I don't know whether this is just a short hand or not.

On mine it has 'British Citizen' which can be shortened to 'British'. I'm beginning to suspect that 'New Zealand' may be correct - despite what people say or think.

Question: What do you call people from the Greek island of Lesbos? Lesbosians Hands up all those who thought of something else?

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Talk about coinkydinks -- my crossword this morning had the clue "Native of New Zealand" and the answer was Maori!

Do I get a prize ? Or is the operative clue-word Native?

(Sigh - I never win anything she muttered sipping her sundown glass of whine.)

A
addict
addict
A
Do I get a prize ?...(Sigh - I never win anything she muttered sipping her sundown glass of whine.)

But wow, you ARE our prize! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

#63217 04/03/02 04:58 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

R
Rubrick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Don't waver, Rubrick. The question as posted was:
If someone from Australia is an Australian, then what is someone from New Zealand called?

If someone from Australia is called an Australian, then someone from New Zealand is a New Zealander. If you
were to say someone from Australia is Australian, then some from New Zealand possibly would be New
Zealand.

D'oh! This is true. That's what I should have said!! Oh, and to think that I wasted everyone's time and made them all clock up extra posts through my slipshod interrogative statement!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Aw, geez--I just noticed the date of your originating post.
You got us all! Congrats, she said shamefacedly. Ya danged Ireland!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith