Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#63033 04/01/02 07:40 PM
A
addict
addict
A
...but my mother and her two older sisters all have the first name Mary but none of them use that name.

I can just hear the conversations around the house if they had used their first names....

"Mary stop teasing Mary and Mary, pick up your things before company comes. Mary, help your sister, Mary, with her homework. Mary, stop chasing the dog! Now you girls behave yourselves. Mary sit there, and Mary sit there, and Mary, you over there, no, not you, Mary, I want Mary there. Don't you girls ever listen?"

It boggles the mind!

#63034 04/01/02 08:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
george forman did it.. all of his kids, including his daughters are named george.

kids sort them selves out..

my mother's sister is Marie-- Mar ee which we kids heard as Mary.. so we called her aunt mary.. when i was grown, and discovered she was Ma ree, i asked her why she never corrected us.. she asked why should i? she didn't hear mary, she heard mar ee.

#63035 04/02/02 01:54 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
my mother and her two older sisters all have the first name Mary

My father had that problem. His mother had a brother Jacob; his father Keiva also had a brother Jacob, and his father's sister married a Jacob -- causing endless confusion with all three men being called "Uncle Jake".

#63036 04/02/02 01:55 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
my mother and her two older sisters all have the first name Mary

This poem seems particularly apt considering how many Davids we have among us!

TOO MANY DAVES - by Dr. Seuss

Did I ever tell you that Mrs. McCave
Had twenty-three sons and she named them all Dave?
Well, she did. And that wasn't a smart thing to do.
You see, when she wants one and calls out, "Yoo-Hoo!
Come into the house, Dave!" she doesn't get ONE.
All twenty-three Daves of hers come on the run!
This makes things quite difficult at the McCaves'
As you can imagine, with so many Daves.
And often she wishes that, when they were born,
She had named one of them Bodkin Van Horn
And one of them Hoos-Foos. And one of them Snimm.
And one of them Hot-Shot. And one Sunny Jim.
And one of them Shadrack. And one of them Blinkey.
And one of them Stuffy. And one of them Stinkey.
Another one Putt-Putt. Another one Moon Face.
Another one Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face.
And one of them Ziggy. And one Soggy Muff.
One Buffalo Bill. And one Biffalo Buff.
And one of them Sneepy. And one Weepy Weed.
And one Paris Garters. And one Harris Tweed.
And one of them Sir Michael Carmichael Zutt
And one of them Oliver Boliver Butt
And one of them Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate...
But she didn't do it. And now it's too late.

#63037 04/02/02 02:39 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Helen thinks royal names get retired because someone has been spectactular. Akcherly, it seems that names get retired if the last holder was so despicable no one wants to use it again, like Richard and Henry (or less well known, Maude and Stephen). There hasn't been a Richard since Crookback, or a Henry since He of the Wives, and this in spite of the fact that Henry is tied with Edward for most popular so far. I think the presumption is that if Charles manages to outlive his mum, he will be Charles III. He's in the unenviable position of Eddie VII who was well into his 60's when Vickie finally pegged out, and he didn't reign very long.

#63038 04/02/02 02:47 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
I guess the days are gone when a Prince of Wales or a king of England can have a mistress more-or-less openly or long term. Goodness knows, there is plenty of precedent for it. Charles II had a number of them, all very well known, and he had a wife at the same time. Same with Edward VII, and that was in pretty modern times. At least Charles won't be adulterating, just fornicating. But I guess he will want to marry the wench (once the Old Girl is gone and can't nix it) and make an honest woman of her. Nelly Gwynne wouldn't have wanted any truck with that. Of course, Lizzy the Twooth may be good for another 20 years or so and much can happen.

#63039 04/02/02 04:03 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
William is now making a comeback through Charles' son and Prince Henry (Harry) will be the first Harry since Henry VIII to hold the title Duke of York (yes, Henry VIII was Duke of York as his elder brother held the Prince of Wales title until his early death.)

So, in that case (Harry as York) what happens to Prince Andrew and Sarah, the curent Duke and Duchess of York?
Hmmmm?

RE : Charles and Camilla ... didn't Edward and Wallis float that morgantic notion only to have it shot down? Isn't the morgantioc marriage one where She would enjoy the priviledges, but have no real stature, any children could not inherit, she Queen in name only?

Also re 2nd marriages ... I do believe Charles's Camilla has an ex-husband lurking in a closet somewhere?
But of course she is English AND the times are different !

#63040 04/02/02 04:11 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
To all our AWADers in the Commonwealth, my sincere sympathy for the loss of The Queen Mother. She was a great lady. I remember seeing newsreels when the King and Queen visited the Roosevelt family in 1936 I believe - ... and the uproar when it was learned they were served hot dogs and hamburgers at a "family" get together (The King reportedly liked the hot dogs - with mustard and relish)
I remember seeing newsreels and photos in LIFE magazine of the King and Queen during the London Blitz. Imagine, she will be part of the memories of anyone born in the 20th Century !
An era has ended and we are left poorer for the loss of her presence.

#63041 04/02/02 04:17 PM
R
Rubrick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
William is now making a comeback through Charles' son and Prince Henry (Harry) will be the first Harry since Henry VIII to hold the title Duke of York (yes, Henry VIII was Duke of York as his elder brother held the Prince of Wales title until his early death.)

So, in that case (Harry as York) what happens to Prince Andrew and Sarah, the curent Duke and Duchess of York?
Hmmmm?

Okay. The Prince of Wales is the title reserved for the male heir to the throne. This is Charles. The Duke of York has nothing to do with the succession line. It is a title afforded to the second of the monarch's sons. If there isn't a second son then the title remains vacant.

When Charles becomes King William doesn't automatically become Prince of Wales and Harry does not become Duke of York. Charles was only given this title when he turned 18 or so. Andrew became Duke of York shortly before his wedding in 1986. It was last used by George VI until 1936 when he became king - a gap of 50 years during which the title was vacant. Andrew will keep this title until he dies. It will then be up to Charles to decide when his two sons will be invested with their individual titles. William could become king without ever becoming Prince of Wales - if his grandmother and father were to die suddenly, but this is highly unlikely. It is also highly likely that, now he is of age, he will become Prince of Wales almost as soon as Charles becomes king.

#63042 04/02/02 05:03 PM
S
S
I think EII should make him choose. The kingdom or Camilla. If he has to have Camilla, pass the kingdom to Di's boy. That would make me happy. (I really cannot stand that home-wrecker!)

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith