Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
C-SPAN's brilliant American Writers a journey through history series is returning after a long hiatus due to expanding political coverage after the events of the Fall.
This Sunday, March 31 at 3pm (EST) with Langston Hughes and Zora Neale Hurston - Harlem Renaissance Writers, they're beginning again with the 2Oth Century. But the big news for linguaphiles is that on Sunday, April 7th, at 3pm (EST), the second installment of the series will be H.L. Mencken - The American Language covering his life and career, with a special focus on that work. Mencken, as curmudgeonly and garrulous as his reutation noted, had, as we all know, a profound effect upon the shaping of the American idiom at the turn of the century (19th-20th..sheesh, we have to do that now, don't we?). A sure treat for any linguaphile! For more info visit the American Writers website at http://americanwriters.org or you can also find the link at Max's marvelous AWADabilia site: http://maxqnz.com/References.html plug, plug .
For a capsule look at the previous writers covered and some
comment about it see my previous post on this site at:
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=announcements&Number=38316

And, Boby, the Mencken show is airing live from Baltimore.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I forgot to mention that, since this is stricly non-profit, all previous installments of the series are available for free on video at the site http://wordsmith.org, so you can view them in excerpt or entirety at your leisure.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, man. We don't have a TV!

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I caught the second half of the American Writer's, Sunday, on Zora Neale Hurston...engrossing and informative as usual. (I missed the Langston Hughes part, half to try to catch it Friday or online at the site). I always learn so much from these presentations, even about writers and historical periods I think I know intrinsically.

The programs are re-aired each Friday at 8 pm for those who miss the Sunday show at 3 pm. I'm a bit disappointed they moved the Monday morning airtime to Sunday because they used to have thousands of schools and home schoolers tuning in to participate. However, there is still a teaching resource available at the site, and you can click on 'Classroom' there for all the interactive teaching plans and material. All programs are offered in video onsite, so if you are teaching or know any teachers this is a great resource to inform them about (it won an award as the top educational website for 2002).
Another reminder about the H.L. Mencken installment coming up Sunday for all the linguaphiles.
Anmd here's the complete schedule for the Spring, all times 3 pm Sundays and 8pm Saturdays, all videos of aired shows available at the website FREE (I'm especially looking forward to Steinbeck, Faulkner and the Southern writers, Ernie Pyle, Kerouac and the Beats, and James Baldwin--and, so far, I've seen them all except for Black Elk, the Native American writer...have to go back and see that):

APRIL
H.L. Mencken
The American Language
Baltimore, Maryland

April 14
F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Great Gatsby
St. Paul, Minnesota

April 21
Ernest Hemingway
The Sun Also Rises
Key West, Florida

April 28
John Steinbeck
The Grapes of Wrath
Salinas, California

MAY
William Faulkner & the Southern Writers
The Sound and The Fury
Oxford, Mississippi

May 12
Ayn Rand
The Fountainhead
Hollywood, California
with an extra note to Jazzo, I know they'll discuss "Atlas Shrugged"

May 19
Ernie Pyle
Here Is Your War
Dana, Indiana

May 26
Whittaker Chambers
Witness
TBD

JUNE
Walter Lippmann
Newspaper Columns
Washington, D.C.

June 9
Jack Kerouac & the Beat Writers
On The Road
Lowell, Massachusetts

June 16
James Baldwin
The Fire Next Time
TBD

June 23
Betty Friedan
The Feminine Mystique
Northampton, Massachusetts

Russell Kirk
The Conservative Mind
William F. Buckley & the Conservative Movement
God and Man at Yale
Mecosta, Michigan

J
old hand
old hand
J
May 12
Ayn Rand
The Fountainhead
Hollywood, California

I guess I'll have to hurry up and read the Fountainhead. I've had the book for almost a year now and I've had too much else to read. Stupid school work . . . .grrrr.

old hand
old hand

Hey, I'm the one whose real name is Dagny...

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Hey, I'm the one whose real name is Dagny...

But of course, FB!...everyone knows you're the only true Dagny! I'd say the Rand estate owes you a few royalties!

And, Jazzo, I remember you mentioning your unread copy of The Fountainhead way back on that "longest book read" (or unread) thread...get to it good sir! (while I finally read Ulysses...yeah, that'll be the day!)

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Just one more last-minute H.L. Mencken reminder...today at 3pm on C-SPAN (2pm if you forgot to change your clock!).

Your Happy Epeolatrist!

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I know we have a good representation of Southern (US) writers and linguaphiles aboard here, so I wanted to make sure to alert you to this week's segment of C-SPAN's American Writers, William Faulkner and the Southern Writers, airing Sunday, May 5th, at 3 pm EDT and the following Friday at 8 pm EDT. (hey, milum! I know Alabama ain't Mississipi, but you're about as close to Faulkner country there as anyone! ) Imagine they'll also look at Eudora Welty, Flannery O'Connor, Tennessee Williams, etc.

And this week was John Steinbeck (which was excellent...even had the Jeep camper he took around the country in Travels With Charley )...you can catch the Steinbeck segment again this Friday, May 3rd, at 8pm EDT on C-SPAN. (I missed the Hemingway and Fitzgerald segments the last two weeks, anybody see 'em?)

The Only WO'N!

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith