Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#62709 04/03/02 04:46 AM
D
addict
addict
D
He was the baddie. If he was the nice guy then we wouldn't have a story. Even I understood that one.

He might have been a baddie, but I can't remember ever calling someone a F*** Wad. Haven't even heard the term since my teens (when I heard it way too often). I don't have a problem with the movie, but that was a little too unsubtle for me.

After five viewings I can't say that I noticed (although maybe I just wasn't looking).

I didn't notice it either, and couldn't see it when I re-watched it last night. There were some quite heated newsgroup discussions about it though.

Are you deliberately looking for faults where there aren't any to be found?

I simply provided an answer to a question.

#62710 04/03/02 11:34 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

The parable doesn't become evident until the final volume, but there it is striking.

I agree with hev, below. It seemed pretty obvious to me from the beginning. Also, he made a point of jibing agnostics and parents who allow their children to call them by their first names in the very beginning.

OTOH, I was old enough by the time I read them that I might have gotten a heads up on the content. I really don't remember.

I agree on the general point of writers (or anyone else) trying to make an end run around a parent's wishes, but you know I read A Wrinkle in Time to my kids and caught religious references that I did not catch when the book was read to me by a fourth grade substitute teacher. It's not real obvious that the religious overtones are as accessible to children as they are to adults.

k

#62711 04/03/02 11:47 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

He might have been a baddie, but I can't remember ever calling someone a F*** Wad. Haven't even heard the term since my teens (when I heard it way too often).

hehehehe ... ya know .... even after you brought this up the first time, I didn't understand what you were talking about, but I was a little embarrassed to ask. Thanks for making it explicit.

I don't have a problem with the movie, but that was a little too unsubtle for me.

But a little too subtle for the denser of us.

k

#62712 04/03/02 12:22 PM
R
addict
addict
R
He might have been a baddie, but I can't remember ever calling someone a F*** Wad. Haven't even heard the
term since my teens (when I heard it way too often). I don't have a problem with the movie, but that was a
little too unsubtle for me.

Ah, now I get it. I wasn't aware of the term until now but I guessed there was a Fark in there somewhere. Now you mention it it is far from subtle.

I didn't notice it either, and couldn't see it when I re-watched it last night. There were some quite heated
newsgroup discussions about it though.

Obviously they have nothing better to discuss other than animated characters' erections. Give me words anyday.....

#62713 04/03/02 03:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Tolkien talked in a radio interview yonks ago about the moral underpinnings of LOTR, and he stated quite clearly, I thought, that it was good versus evil and that although he personally was Christian, he wasn't trying to write religious allegory.

Unlike C.S. Lewis, of course, who was. Hell, I was 10 or 11 when I first read TLTWATW and even I worked out for myself what was going on. You'd have to be pretty thick not to spot the parallels if you'd been the good little Sunday school attender that I was at that time. But, like FF, I liked the books and didn't hold that against them.

Trying to read too much into an author's motivations is a bit like the Noddy books thing. Homosexual propaganda? Gimme a break! Enid Blyton wrote the damned things, not Rita Sackville-West!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#62714 04/03/02 04:07 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

and he stated quite clearly, I thought, that it was good versus evil and that although he personally was Christian, he wasn't trying to write religious allegory.

You and Jazz have both said this, now. Perhaps I misused the language. I didn't mean to imply (or state, if I did state) that LOTR was religious allegory.

k

#62715 04/03/02 09:00 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Rita Sackville-West

Oh, I've never heard of her. Is she a relative of Vita or is she related to the Sackville Bagginses?

#62716 04/11/02 12:40 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Noddy is homosexual propaganda???? I must go back and re-read Enid Blyton some time.

Acksherly, going back to the earlier part of the thread about male and female writers, I have to admit once I started reading by myself I read voraciously without caring whether the authors were men or women. My childhood favourites were Enid Blyton (perhaps George was meant to be a pubescent lesbian?), E. Nesbitt, C. S. Lewis, and Tolkein. There were hundreds of others I read, but although I was vaguely aware that there were such things as books for girls, I don't remember thinking much about who the books were actually by.

If I look at my shelves now, again I don't think either sex predominates. No doubt some writers write particularly for one sex or the other but then whether they are men or women I find them equally uninteresting.

Being very good and not saying a word about the aspersions cast on the young lady who wrote an account of certain late events which came under my own observation and, indeed, in which I played a small part myself.

Bingley

Bingley
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith