Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#62134 03/23/02 11:48 PM
L
OP Offline
L
One of my friends was telling me about a poet that took pages out of a book and crossed out words, circled words and phrases, etc. and made poetry out of another's work. Has anyone ever seen this done? Better yet, can anyone here do it? To accomplish this on-line it might be possible to change the color of the text, white for the words crossed out, black for the words kept, or blue.... I wait to see who's most clever here...JazzO?

M
old hand
old hand
M
ladymoon
Subject: Re: a question and a challenge

One of my friends was telling me about a poet that took pages out of a book and crossed out words, circled words and phrases, etc. and made poetry out of another's work. Has anyone ever seen this done? Better yet, can anyone here do it? To accomplish this on-line it might be possible to change the color of the text, white for the words crossed out, black for the words kept, or blue.... I wait to see who's most clever here...JazzO?

Dear Ladymoon,
Your persuasive prose inspires me to commit plagiarism
. -mw

Poetry Out of Another's Work

crossed out words
circled words
phrases, eee tee cee
yet I wait
to see it done
by anyone...
-but not by me.

J
old hand
old hand
J
Well, I guess if we can rearrange and mix the words a bit as well:

[milum's post]
ladymoon

Dear Ladymoon,
Your persuasive prose inspires me to commit plagiarism. -mw
[/milum's post]

An Ode on the City, Queen

One me,
a word; a page; a book;
this complex anyone.
Who's seen another's color?
white . . . black . . . blue
it can be yet better
ever possible, dear friends

D
addict
addict
D
And in order...

[JazzO's post]
Well, I guess if we can rearrange and mix the words a bit as well:

[
milum's post]
ladymoon

One
of my friends was telling me about a poet that took pages out of a book and crossed out words, circled words and phrases, etc. and made poetry out of another's work. Has anyone ever seen this done? Better yet, can anyone here do it? To accomplish this on-line it might be possible to change the color of the text, white for the words crossed out, black for the words kept, or blue.... I wait to see who's most clever here ...JazzO?

Dear Ladymoon,
Your
persuasive prose inspires me to commit plagiarism. -mw
[/milum's post]

An Ode on
the City, Queen

One me,
a word; a page; a book;
this complex anyone.
W
ho's seen another's color?
white . . . black . . . blue
it can be yet better
ever possible, dear friends
[/JazzO's post]

I arranged as well: m'lady's quest
A challenge of my friend well met
Et took to book, cross sword and made
Of other work, a one verse stet

Ere I this night hang the hex
- the sword for words I severed
Perverse, it gi's thee this complex -
On honor, will it be ever dead.

Well, I didn't have a lot of prose to work with and I like cryptic crosswords. So sue me.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
That's brilliant, doc. I take my hat off to you!

#62139 03/25/02 12:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

These are all quite good, and far beyond my capabilities. Doc, yours is magnificent!!
How long did that take you??

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
a question and a challenge One of my friends was telling me about a poet that took
pages out of
a book and crossed out words, circled words and phrases, etc.
and made poetry out of another's work. Has anyone
ever seen this done? Better yet,
can anyone he re do it?
To accomplish this on-line it might be possible
to change the color of the text, white for the words crossed out, black for the words kept, or blue
.... I wait to see who's most clever here...JazzO?

========================================================

a quest friends took
a book
cross words,
and made not as one
ever one?
can anyone re do it?

to change the color of cross words .... I wait ever here...

#62141 03/25/02 09:03 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
You're welcome, Max.

#62143 03/26/02 01:23 AM
D
addict
addict
D
How long did that take you??

Well, I had an hour to kill, so I killed it twice.

#62144 03/26/02 04:40 AM
L
OP Offline
L
And we have feasted well on your kill.

I must say wow! I'm impressed. I knew there was talent on this board. In my head I couldn't picture how to do it so I tried it on a trash novel someone left on the train. You guys had much more success than I did.

A
A
I remember doing something like this as an assignment in Grade 8 English class.

"A sobering thought: what if, at this very moment, I am living up to my full potential?" JANE WAGNER

#62146 03/28/02 12:05 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

J
old hand
old hand
J
Too long time no see, apples & oranges.

And still, we can't view his profile.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Cor! do we have the Ghost of apples + oranges past with us?

#62149 03/30/02 03:28 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
I just don’t get it.
I am more of an angel than Angel,
I’m much more modest than Modestgodess,
and some say that I am almost as exclamatory as WOW.
But yet, on this board I get no respect.

Maybe it’s time to let you people know that you are dealing with the #1 ranked Trident writer in the world.

What is a Trident?
A “Trident” is a form of poetry somewhat like the haiku of the Japanese, that was popular on the great Island nation of Atlantis before it sank into the sea. It is fairly simply to write a Trident in the language of the Alanticeans, they had no verbs, but to write one in English was long considered an impossibility, until I wrote my historic famous trident back in 1984. The sample below will help outline how a trident works...

The mechanism of...our method of
.....................sex...reproduction
...seems tiresome...seems revolting but
......otherwise it is...most certainly not
.........................fun.

Get it. The three prongs of the Trident- the left, the right, combine coherently in the middle for the third. The bottom center word (or sometimes words) conclude the poem at the handle with all three prongs sharing them equally but extra points are given for meanings that diverge.

Scoring: The Atlanticeans had ten fingers and ten toes like us but only virile males were allowed to write poems so their counting system was constructed as a base Twenty-one.
Five categories are scored. Points for each are 1 to 21.
The categories are...

Understanding the rules- Automatic 21 points.
Applying the rules- Automatic 21 points.
Smoothness of syntax- 1 -21 points.
cleverness of meaning- 1 -21 points.
originality- 1 -21 points.

Example: the sample trident above scored 53 points. My World Record Poem scored 86.

So boys, wanna play hardball? Wanna get down and dirty with some ditch fighting poetry? Huh? Ok! Now you pretty ladies be sweethearts and go sit in those folding chairs over there by the wall and maybe we'll let one of you be the prize.

Let the games begin.

#62150 03/30/02 07:13 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Begging your pardon, but is it appropriate to call the handle of the trident a tine? If not, then your example is flawed, having the form of

|      |
| |
| |
| |
\ /
|
|

Oughtn't it be more like

|   |   |
| | |
| | |
| | | ?
\ | /
|
|

(Not that I could ever dream of composing either, mind you)

P.S. If it helps anybody's presentation - the commands [ pre ] and [ /pre ] but omit the spaces will permit spaces in text to be preserved in posts.

M
old hand
old hand
M
...then your example is flawed -wofahulicodoc

Flawed wofahulicodoc?, yes, don't tell, but sometimes I suspect that I am too.

I agree, visually the poemform diagrams more like a two-pronged frog gig than a trident but most folk find it unpleasant to dwell on the bloody process of gigging a frog. Unless maybe you say it fast in french ~fru ge'wah.

But alas I know of but one other entity that has two prongs and that is my coon dog named WhitmanOneil (irony upon insult, our own WhitmanOneil has a collie dog named Milo, go figger.) but no matter, a two-pronged coon dog seems hardly a proper association for a genre of literary poems.

On the other hand the point of the poemform is to have three semantical points like a trident. If we adopt your schema then the poem would have to have four points and then (sigh) we would have to call it a pitchfork.

Thank you wofahulicodoc, for the instructions on how to affix things to certain points on a page. I will try it here for the first time to see if it works...
_

\____/[/pre          
[pre] /\ /\

WhitmanO'neil (the dog)

No No don't tell me. If I learn it on my own it will be a tool I can use for the rest of my life.

Thanks again, wofahulicodoc. - milo.

PS: What does "but omit the spaces" mean?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
milum, i am going to answer you question about preformated text in I & A, in the thread that covers a lot of these infrastucture type questions.

you can get a start by just looking in the FAQ-- i suggest you print it.. it total 4 sheets of paper.. and its so much easier to use as a reference!
(printing out Max's reference pages would be a lot more paper.)

M
old hand
old hand
M
 Look everyone. I can now affix letters in time and space. 

fl m
it o e
ter us

(at rest)

(ing) arrang (re)(ly) be
co
m
es
BAT

Thanks wofahulicodoc and of troy.

J
old hand
old hand
J
(irony upon insult, our own WhitmanOneil has a collie dog named Milo, go figger.)]

You think that's bad, I have a mutt named Milo. He's half chiuahua, half rat terrier.

#62155 04/01/02 01:57 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Okay, all you dogs out there named Milo, wag your tails. Sit. Speak. Heh. Got them trained real good. Oh, Hi Mr. Milo. No, I wasn't sayin' nuthin'. Honest![hiding those last sentences behind my skirts-e]

#62156 04/01/02 04:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I can't think of coon dogs without also thinking of coon huntin'. (Yes, I did it once, as a kid in Tennessee. But when an owl flew past my head so close I could hear the wind in its wings, I screamed. And that put an end to that little sortie. My uncle was pretty nice about it--for him.)
Anyway--I made this post because it occurred to me that I automatically think coon huntin'. Is it actually possible for anyone to say coon hunting?

#62157 04/01/02 04:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Is it actually possible for anyone to say coon hunting?

Actual, I think you gots to say raccoon hunting ifn yer actual gone pernounce the g. One thang it lets you get a runnin start on the phrase so y'all'll have some steam left by the time you gets to the g, elks you ain' gone have enuff oomph to get inta the g.

#62158 04/07/02 01:41 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But alas I know of but one other entity that has two prongs and that is my coon dog named WhitmanOneil (irony upon insult, our own WhitmanOneil has a collie dog named Milo, go figger.) but no matter, a two-pronged coon dog seems hardly a proper association for a genre of literary poems.

Well, I dunno how I missed this one...but if your critter is named WhitmanO'Neil, milum, then I bet that dog don't hunt. 'Course if he'd get together with my super-kinetic husky/collie, Milo, I'd bet he'd larn 'im to tree a coon or two. Everybody knows it takes a Milo dog husy/collie mix to get a WhitO coon dog goin'! And we can leave the rats and enchiladas for that other rat terrier/chihuahua Milo dog. You see, it's the Milo dogs that always have all the fun!

I commend your dexterity, milum, in mastering the Trident poetry form of the great Atlanteans. However, one cannot mention the world's second greatest civilization without paying homage to it's predecessor, the great continent and land of Mu that once flourished in what is now the vast pacific, and their exquisite, and much more decidedly advanced, poetry form called Reefer, which was formulated according to the delicate and ever-original designs of coral clusters, which, like snowflakes, are never the same. What the Reefer poets strove to achieve was a union of spirit, form, and word, that, while giving rise to it's own creative spontaneity and original vision, would never waver from being reminiscent of the great, and ever-changing, coral colonies they so revered. The Lords, Gods, and populace of the great land of Mu esteemed these artists, much like their descendants, the great Japanese haikuists, were revered in their time. True Reefer poetry would look something like this (only it would be turned 90 degrees, horizontally, as if it were reflecting upward through the Earth's major element):

s

ou

heart

rc

es

water's

o

f

the

li

ght

This delicate and cherished artform has come down to me from the pathways of the Ancient Ones who once raised the consciousness of Mu beyond any perceptions we know today. And, since Mu fell into the sea a good 5,000 years before the ascendence of Atlantis, the Reefer scripts and techniques were preserved only by fortuitous castaways who took some priceless stone tablet inscriptions as they drifted to one of the islands left from the Great Cataclysm now known as Easter Island where they erected giant stone idols to the memory of great Reefer poets past. And, thence, of course, to the South American continent where they attempted to construct huge Reefer poems in the landscape of Naszca, but none of the indigenous peoples understood them, so they were left a mystery. And today, some people claim there are still some Mu-ian Reefer poet descendants living in the West Indies as a music sect on the island of Jamaica...but the jury is still out on that one, mon. So, Milo (all dogs aside), I'm certainly glad you resurrected the fine art of Atlantean Trident poetry so we could take the rare opportunity to salute the even more praiseworthy and influential land of Mu and its priesthood of Reefer poetry. (And, BTW, did you know there's a rumor that some descendents of the Atlantean Trident poets founded and own a chewing gum company in the US?...one never knows who one's neighbors are, does one?)

Now, excuse me, I have to go feed Milo, so he'll be ready to tutor that WhitO dog of your'n.

#62159 04/08/02 10:04 PM
L
OP Offline
L
s

ou

heart

rc

es

water's

o
f

the

li

ght

Is this a poem? Am I supposed to be able to read it?

#62160 04/08/02 11:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Is this a poem? Am I supposed to be able to read it?

Ah, but once you can cultivate the abilility to intuit (or "read" as you say) Reefer poetry, you are then approaching the key to unlocking the sacred symbols and ancient mysteries of Mu. Unless you plateau in your journey at the Atlantean Trident level...where our good friend, milum, has so nobly lingered.

Your Happy Epeolatrist!

#62161 04/09/02 01:09 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Is this a poem? Am I supposed to be able to read it? -Ladymoon

That depends Ladymoon.
Have you ever sat in a cypress tree that overlooked a silver lake and watched a moonbeam bounce off the mirrored surface of the shining waters, and then, once again beam to the distant heavens. Look closely. See the dust motes in the moonbeam. Read them. They are the Reefer Poems of the ancient Mu.

#62162 04/09/02 02:05 AM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Ok, so lemme get this straight. Is this the Mu from Pokemon?

#62163 04/09/02 02:14 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No, Jazz. It's an E-MU. [straight face.....one....two.....three seconds-e]

#62164 04/09/02 02:22 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ok, so lemme get this straight. Is this the Mu from Pokemon

No, of course not, Jazzo....no Mu for you!

http://members.aol.com/theloego/Mu1.JPG

Your Happy Epeolatrist!

#62165 04/09/02 01:28 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Ah, but once you can cultivate the abilility to intuit (or "read" as you say) Reefer poetry, you are then approaching the key to unlocking the sacred symbols and ancient mysteries of Mu.

[Translation] To appreciate Reefer poetry, one needs to consume more than a modicum of reefer. Preferably, high quality stuff. [/Translation]

#62166 04/11/02 12:48 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
TRANSLITERATION OF A CLASSIC Reefer MU TO THE ENGLISH.
...................>(Sun)<           //of the light
\\ //waters
\\ //to the
\\ //reaches
\\ //heart
\\ //your
\\//so

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#62167 04/11/02 01:13 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The Poem of Mu

I see, my friend, you are ready to graduate into the more subtle Mu-ian energies of Reefer Poetry. May the Force of Mu be with you!

Your Happy Epeolatrist!

#62168 04/11/02 01:50 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My. My. My. My my. My my. Mu.[astonished-e]

#62169 04/12/02 12:15 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Hey! You crossed to the Strange Loop thread! Cool!

Now, how about a Reefer Mumon ?

#62170 04/12/02 02:29 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
No, of course not, Jazzo....no Mu for you!

No Mu's is good Mu's.

and furthermore:
No Mu's is good Muse.

But unlike Queen Victoria, we are not not a-Mu'sed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith