About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62024 03/22/02 04:55 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Not sure where to ask, but this seems as good a place as any.

I discovered the chat yesterday and I notice there were a lot of them last year, but none are actually scheduled this year.

Are guest chats fortuitous events or are they planned?

Will there be more of them?

Is there any chance that Steven Pinker might come back?

k

#62025 03/22/02 11:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
these are questions for Anu -- from the list of concluded chats you can see that there was a flurry of them early last year, only two in the second half of the year and none so far this year.

http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/

#62026 03/26/02 08:18 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Am I alone, or do other people here find chat boards difficult to cope with?
The remarks come in such a muddled order, and only about half of them are worht reading, so it hardly seems worth the hassle - or have I got it all wrong (again! )

#62027 03/26/02 08:28 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Like anything new, Rhu, chat skills can be acquired with practice, if you find a chat room with discussions worth the effort. Many - if not most - chatrooms seem to degenerate into flirtfests, but I have found a couple of sufficient worth that I stuck around long enough to learn how to follow the conversation threads.

The best way to get the hang of it is to find a fairly empty room, so that you just have a couple of people to talk to and you are all talking along the same thread. Once you get the hang of it, then, as people come in and start diverging from the main conversation, you'll find that you can still follow what is going on.

Chat rooms which permit you to create your own rooms, so that you can have a quiet conversation with select company, can be very convenient for planning sessions and such. And easier to set up than conference calls.

I'd be happy to tutor you.

#62028 03/26/02 08:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The remarks come in such a muddled order, and only about half of them are worth reading

This would be what we call a moderated chat. You submit questions and Anu filters them, keeping things flowing relatively calmly. This was where we had the Richard Lederer chat, was it not? It suffered early on from mindless hero worship but finally some decent questions came filtering through. You just had to be patient.

#62029 03/26/02 08:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>It suffered early on from mindless hero worship...

and, truth be told, Richard seemed rather more interested in flogging his previous work than in opening up any new areas of discussion. but as has been pointed out, the latter is difficult in this sort of venue.

http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/

#62030 03/27/02 01:14 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Agreeing with Faldage's and tsuwm's assessment of Mr. Lederer, though I would not have expressed it so gently or gentilely.

#62031 03/27/02 06:16 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

For moderated chats, I think the most annoying thing is that when the room is full, the chances of your questions getting through is pretty slim.

Chats, in general, are like tides except not so regular. The quality of the conversation rises and falls with that of the participants. But even when interesting, articulate, and affable members are present in critical numbers, it takes some effort on the part of the participants to keep a good thread on track.

OTOH, one might easily wait one to three hours for a good discussion to catch hold and said discussion might last 15 to 90 minutes, say. Ninety minutes is rare. Most are probably in the 20 to 30 minute range. (Just throwing out WAGs here, I've never actually checked.) In any case, it's not a great return on investment, unless you're expecting one hell of a cool conversation. I usually only wait while I'm reading, programming, or browsing. Otherwise, it's just not worth the effort.

Then there's the matter of etiquette. A lot of people use the chat rooms as their private therapy sessions. Others assume that everyone else owes them entertainment. "You geeks are sooo boring." Some are just needy or impatient. "Why isn't anyone talking to me?" The time spent waiting for the conch to arrive can be a very, very long two hours if you don't have anything else to occupy your mind.

k

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 688 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith