Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#61922 03/22/02 01:57 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Warning : True Yankee tale and a question for you all.

We had a Selectman here in town who was a non-practicing attorney with a penchant for seeking out odd responsibilities of Boards of Selectmen. He struck gold in 1976 (the USA Bicentennial) and informed the board the NH RSAs (revised statutes annotated) required selectmen to walk the metes and bounds of the town every ten years. The law had been passed in the early days of the republic! Further, he noted that the responsibility had not been met for many years!
Well, duty bound, the Board could not ignore the law ... after reading the requirements the selectmen learned the discharge of the obligation entailed contacting the Boards of Selectmen of all abutting towns to meet at each of the bounds... a minimum of three selectmen from each town at each bound.
The selectmen parceled out the meetings so no one would have the burden of all the meetings.
The town assessor, who keeps the plats and maps dating from the town's founding in 1600s, discovered one of the bounds is in the middle of the extensive salt water marsh!
The state Fish and Game Department was consulted about the advisability of walking the bound over winter ice and were told the salt water ice would not support any weight over that of a bird.
So both the towns had to rent Boston Whaler boats. The date was set for the marsh meeting and of course it was one of that winter's coldest and windiest days!
Bundled up to the ears, wearing heavy boots and encumbered by life vests the selectmen made the meet and discharged their duties and filed all the documentation with the state.
The selectman who had brought up the whole thing was not among the three who had to make the Great Marsh Mete."

the Question : to best of my knowledge the metes and bounds have not been walked since 1976. Should I call the Town Manager or the Chairman of the Board of Selectmen?

Ah, life in small towns. We have to take our amusements where we find them!

#61923 03/22/02 02:37 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Many people interested in genealogy in New England discover many discrepancies in town lines. In trying to locate dwelling of one of my ancestors, I found that the changes in town lines in that vicinity took up two and a half pages. The house in question is now at Sturbridge Village.

Quite a while ago I made a post about English town fathers' custom of taking boys along each spring, and literally beating the bounds, which were typically stone markers, and beating the kids' butts painfully at each boundary, to be sure they would remember it when they were grown up.

#61924 03/22/02 06:31 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
The tricky part is establishing a 1st point that is unchangeable

100% right, Flatlander.

Over 25 years ago a client was financing property on Long Island whose legal description began "at the northeast corner of the intersection of Plum and Main Streets". My conversation with the title insurer went along these lines:
me: Please specify the location of these streets by referencing the original recorded plats dedicating them.
them: There's no such document of record; these streets date back to colonial times.
me: Then how can one know where that intersection-point is?
them: By going out to the street-corner and looking, of course, silly!
me: But if the streets are widened in the future, how will we then know what point was intended?
them: If that happens, so what? We are insuring that the mortgage you have is a valid lien on the land.
me: Yes, but over *what* land? How will we know what land is subject to the insurance?

Eventually they had to specify the point by reference to the rudimentary set of "cadastral" points they had available -- complicated by the fact that their cadastral measurements were based on magnetic north, while their other measurements were based on true north.

#61925 03/22/02 07:56 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Keiva: Your word "cadastral" sounds very impressive. At first I thought its etymology was something about 'stars falling'. I was disappointed when dictionary said it just referred to municpal records.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith