Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
addict
addict
R
Rubrick, do you think your ISP might be cacheing that page? I am genuinely puzzled that you could have visited it at any time in the last six weeks and not seen the Carpal Tunnel change. After all, even I've been one that long! I changed the page at least eight weeks ago, and so am wondering why the changes did not show up for you. I shall drop a line to my providers to see if they are leaving backup copies of old pages online, as others have also reported difficulty getting to updated versions of my pages. Sorry.

Okay, this is getting a tad confusing so I will clarify what I can and cannot see.

I've gone to http://maxqnz.com/Hints.html and I can see the up-to-date hints including the Carpal Tunnel 2500 line. Going to the I&A threads and the Helpful hints Take 2 post I can only see what has been posted (and reposted) on that post for the past few months.

If you are referring to changes to your page, Max, then I shoudl reiterate that I haven't visited your page for some time until this morning. I was referring to the AWAD page and not your page so don't go bothering your ISP about something that's nothing to do with them!!

It's not really worth pursuing this trivial matter anymore. Safe to say that I will look at Max's page more often and not just refer to the HH on AWAD.

Cheers Max!!!

BTW, no way it could be my ISP cacheing my pages. Mon ISP c'est moi!

#61128 03/26/02 07:11 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
even my poor overworked was able

??? what are we discussing here ??? You need a working over, Max? Can/may/might I help?

#61130 03/31/02 04:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Milum, about pre formated text.
Browsers, (unlike word processors) have no fixed margins.

if you make you browser window smaller, it re-formates the text to fit inside the space available.

there are two exceptions.. Links (and we have all seen a thread go wide because of a link)
by go(ing) wide, i mean, a new scroll bar is added at the bottom of the page, and you must scroll right and left to see all the text.

the pre command also stops the browser from reformaing text. Pre is an HTML code, and mark up uses it exactly the same.

if you type some thing in MS WORD (and this works in all word processors, but i am not going to give directions for all) and then got to the View menu, and scroll down to Show/Hide, you can see the formating commands.

A·line·of·text·will·look·like·this.¶

each · represents a space, and the ¶ represents a "a hard return" --pressing enter. other codes include arrows for tabs, and so on.

normally, a browser ignores most of the formating codes. especially extra spaces and tabs!

the pre command forces the browser to leave the formating codes in, and lets you the typist, to set up the spacing of the text!

you need to use it with care, since you can't be sure how much space (how big the window is) on others computers.

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
The actual form of the pre-format command is

leftbracket-pee-are-ee-rightbracket.

I couldn't make it print as text at first because the board interprets it as a formatting command, which doesn't print, and so I typed instead

leftbracket-space-pee-are-ee-space-rightbracket, which is [ pre ]

and which shows up fine but doesn't do anything if you type it in faithfully as it appears, being no longer in the right format because of the spaces. Thus the green instruction to omit the spaces.

The "end-pre-formatted-text" instruction is, analogously,

leftbracket-slash-pee-are-ee-rightbracket.

Now if only I could figure out how to underline...

PS. Most of the fonts we use are no longer "fixed-spacing", which means so-and-so many characters per inch (remember those typewriters with Elite (12 cpi) or Pica (10 cpi) type?) Nowadays we see more "proportional-spacing" -- an i is narrower than a W, and a space narrower still. This can distort your painstakingly-constructed pre-formatted texts, depending on what font the viewer is using.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith