Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#61097 03/23/02 08:19 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I was googling the other day for the Indonesian word provisi, only to get hundreds, if not thousands, of pages for the English word provision. Admittedly, provision does contain provisi, but it's still totally useless for my purposes. How do I get round this?

Bingley

Bingley
#61098 03/23/02 10:03 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
While all you computer wunderkin are at it
has anyone ever figured out what makes the
posts widen the screen. If so, how does one
avoid doing that? And perhaps it could go
in the helpful hints..since posts continue
to go wide I presume there is no note now.
Thank you.

J
old hand
old hand
J
Is there a way to have it in the center for both the lap top and PC?

There really shouldn't be any difference between the two, except that most lap top screens are smaller than desktop monitors. It's generally better to confine your text to a width of about 400-500 rather than stretching across the whole screen. There are two reasons for this. One, the smaller width will look the same on all browsers and two, it's easier to read. The page of a book is much thinner than a computer screen.

To center something in HTML you generally just have to put align="center" into a tag, such as <P align="center"> or <TD align="center">. In tables you can also set the vertical alignment with valign. For that center is the default, but you can change it to valign="top".

Wow, the reason posts go wide is that a link is a continuous string or characters without any spaces. PCs won't break that string and make the rest go on the
next line, so the page just stretches to fit the text. Macs will split the line for you.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Macs will split the line for you.

and Max will shorten it for you, with his "make a shorter link" link -- you do cover that in your FAQ, right Max?

http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/

R
addict
addict
R
While all you computer wunderkin are at it has anyone ever figured out what makes the posts widen the screen. If so, how does one avoid doing that? And perhaps it could go in the helpful hints..since posts continue to go wide I presume there is no note now.

Dear Wow,

I have noticed the same problem on various threads and I am at a loss to explain how it happens. I can only presume that it is a bug related to the application on which AWAD runs. The problem seems to generate arbitrarily and is a result of the primary post on that thread. If it is too wide for the screen and requires scrolling to view it correctly then subsequent posts will likewise be too wide. There doesn't seem to be any way to remedy this on the AWAD site.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
John, I guess I had thought this was covered in the FAQs, either Jo's or Max', but I'm not finding it. it certainly should be, as it is a multiple yart and has confused nearly everyone. it is not a random bug and the cause is well known. as Jazzo indicates just above, the cause is ALWAYS (well, unless you purposely preformat) a wide link (or url, as dr. bill would have it). the remedy is to shorten internal links (cut 'em after the first post number) or use Max' "make a shorter link" link (where is it Max?!) for external links.

since the width of any thread is determined by the width of the widest post in it, it's not always obvious where the problem lies....

R
addict
addict
R
I read in some recent posts that there are Web designers on board. I have done some amateur designing and have a question. I am sorry if this inappropriate for this forum, but since this thread was current I thought I would take a chance..

Dear Drow,

If you feel uneasy about posting such a notice then feel free to PM (private message) anyone with the query.

Question: When you design a page (with 100% table width) for a PC console, on a lap top it comes out all bunched up in the left hand top corner corner. This happens just for the home page. The only way I have found to get over this is to design it off center for the PC screen - that brings it more to the center for the Lap top screen. Is there a way to have it in the center for both the lap top and PC?
--
Thanks in advance to Helen of troy or Rubrick or any one else who might answer this question.
--

This is pretty confusing. Why does it only happent for the home page? All web pages should behave the same way if they are coded the same way. A few quick tips.

1. Always use tables with plenty of rows and cells to contain your info - especially if you want to align stuff.
2. Only ever use one nested table for each page. More will result in confusion and definite loading time overhead and probable application crash.
3. Check you design on both IE and Netscape. Microsloth like to be different so the two browsers will often display stuff quite differently. It is often irritating but you can easily find an acceptable common ground between the two.
4. Decide on a basic screen size design for your web pages and stick with it. 640 x 480, 800 x 600. Whatever. If you deceide that you can spare the resources to build more than one size (and therefore offer your readers a selection of sizes) then go for it. I never provide that luxury. Better to tell your readers to resize their screens to optimise viewing than to go to all that unneccesary trouble.

Back to your problem. Don't set the table size to 100% - set it to 99%. It works better - believe me!
If you want to centre your work on the page then don't select center and expect the text to be centred on the page. Build a table with at least two rows and three cells wide (use five or seven if that makes the tsk easier). Place all of your stuff in the middle (2nd/3rd/4th) cell. The outer cells need to be the same width but this width can be any figure. The purpose is just to allow centring of text and images. For that cell you can either align it left/right or center. The text will appear in the centre of the page (actually the centre of that cell but it will give the appearance of being centre of the page).

Any more info required then PM me and I'll blabber on ad nauseum.

The only word twist I could give to this post is three different words for the thing you are looking at - console, monitor, screen - any others?
I just checked - MW doesn't give the definition of console as a monitor or screen??? It is the thing that the radio or television sits on? Okay!

In the days when computers took up a medium sized room and required the powerage of a small town to add six numbers together, someone had the bright idea to link a few terminals onto the mainframe to allow many users to access this abundance of informatic power. These terminals consisted of a monitor and a keyboard (the mouse didn't exist just yet) and were known collectively as a console. The montor has been explained - it's the big TV-like thingy that takes up all of your desk space, ruins your eyesight and is bedecked with post-its and various holiday snaps, pet pictures and out-of-focus baby photos of your now seven-year-old.

The screen is just the glass bit at the front which projects the image from your computer and, despite its incredible definition and superior projection qualities is used for little more than emailing, word processing, spreadsheets and the occasioanl web-surfing. The most striking images that you will ever see on a screen these days are the background images (commonly called wallpaper for some reason - even though they don't resemble any wallpaper that I can think of) of such luminaries as George Clooney and Brad Pitt (popular on our secretaries' machines), various sportstars (for the harder types amongst us) and the occasional unidentified skimpily dressed blonde in a position that you never see a wife or girlfriend - well, not in public anyway.

R
addict
addict
R
John, I guess I had thought this was covered in the FAQs, either Jo's or Max', but I'm not finding it. it certainly should be, as it is a multiple yart and has confused nearly everyone. it is not a random bug and the cause is well known. as Jazzo indicates just above, the cause is ALWAYS (well, unless you purposely preformat) a wide link (or url, as dr. bill would have it). the remedy is to shorten internal links (cut 'em after the first post number) or use Max' "make a shorter link" link (where is it Max?!) for external links.

since the width of any thread is determined by the width of the widest post in it, it's not always obvious where the problem lies....

Tsuwm. Thanks for that. I misread JazzO's post but now I see what he was saying and it makes sense why certain threads are wider than others. Yep, I agree. The posts will be wider if the URL is wide becaus the wraparound won't work for a continuous text line like a long URL. Apologies to both you and JazzO for the misunderstanding.

I can't remember the url for the short link site but adding it to the FAQs would be great. Hey, how about adding Carpal Tunnel whilst we're at it?? Is it 3200 or what?

Cheers,

Rubrick

A
addict
addict
A
I never did get an answer to my time question above:

OK....Why does the bottom of the page say: "All times are EST"? I sent an e-mail to Anu after I first realized this error, and have never had an answer to my question. For those who don't know, times are posted in CST (Central Standard Time), not EST (Eastern Standard Time).

This one really bugs me and I wondered if it just got overlooked, or if no one really knows.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith