Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
addict
addict
A
Can't compute the stales index© without knowing the number of views.

Okies! Really glad I asked that question! Maybe someday he'll explain THAT one to me!

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
an in-reference, angel.

Stales pointed out that the ratio of views-to-posts is a rough-and-ready index of how interesting a thread has been. A relatively high ratio indicates that a high proportion of those who viewed the thread found they did not have anything to say in response -- suggesting low interest-value.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re:What is the purpose of showing us the number of "views" a thread has?

i don't know-- except the soft ware keeps track of the views. which is how it knows you've looked at something, and to delete the new and to update the number on the theme page.

you can also save time by using the back key-- but then the number and new don't get update.. so, weave back and forth, --open a thread, read, hit back, open a new thread, back, back again to main index, open another theme, read a thread, back, and after a about three Main themes (I & A, Misc., WordPlay and Fun), hit refresh.

the advantage of "back" is you machine will have cache'dthe pages it, and they will load faster! but since you are loading the 'cached' view, it will not have been updated, and it will not accurately reflect the correct number of new post to read!

so, you get increased performence speed -- but it does make it a bit confusing.. since it is not immediately evident which thread you have read (if you chance to read them out of order!) and Posting plays havic too, since back brings you back to to the "post has been sent, you will be automatically returne to forum in a few minutes" page!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Re: scrolling

depending on your browsers, there are some scrolling short cuts..

you use the right button! (not a side, but right in the manner of correct!)the right button on the mouse.

which is the right button? Well, place your hand on your mouse --naturally, you index finger fall on one button, and your middle finger falls on an other button.-- isolate your middle finger.. hold up your hand.. this is a special finger.. it has special purposes.. and its not used just any old time.. its always a special occasion when we use it.. if you need to do something special, especially in computer software, you must remember this special finger! i teach it just this way, and at first, people are slightly aghast, but in the end, every one end up laughing,-- and they remember!

So place your mouse pointer in the scroll bar area, and right click-- Use that special finger to do it right! (even you southpaws!)

if you have Netscape 6.2, or MS Explorer, or if you use AOL, you'll get a menu! (i don't know all the browsers!) but some Notes supports it too,

SCROLL HERE
----------------------------
BOTTOM
----------------------------
PAGE UP
PAGE DOWN
--------------------------------
SCROLL UP
SCROLL DOWN

bottom brings you to the last post!

fast and easy!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow, thank you, Flatlander! That was it, sure enough! (Not that I doubted you, but it was news to me.) I've never had a clue what any of the buttons on my keyboard do, other than the letters and the numbers (oh, and the four arrow keys). I did finally learn Print Screen (sometimes I can get it to work), and that with Control I can highlight more than one thing at a time. Um--since Caps Lock will give you caps only, then...Num. lock will give you numbers only? It never occurred to me what the arrows on the numbers might be for. I have no idea of how to use the Insert function--but at least I've learned when I need to undo it, the darned sneaky thing!

Helen--I did pick up right away that when you hit the Back arrow, that page comes up a whole lot faster. That's caching, then? Caching is, um, storing? [still groping in the dark e] Also, I did the right-click thing--my menu has nothing about scrolling. Max--I want you to come here and give me lessons! May I cache in on your knowledge?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yes, jackie, not all browsers use the right button option..The very newest version of Netscape (6.2) does.

as for print screen.. it works best in DOS(an ancient computer language, only known to scholars) but!
try this.. (it won't work in awad, but it will work in email, and other places)
open a "window" (ie, Character map) hold the alt key, and now press print screen. (nothing visably happens!) but now, open up Word, (word perfect, what ever) and press the "paste" icon. (it often looks like a clipboard) and Voila! you have captured an image, and pasted it into your document. (see Max's hints, he has lots of "screen captured images"). this is how we trainers "picture" steps for you . (actually, i have moved on to making moving image files, so users can see the mouse move, with a scripted dialog, explaining what they are seeing..I'll teach you how to do that next year)

and yes, caching is something your computer does.. automaticaly.. it is a way of saving information, so that it can get to it faster. bigger new computers, with more memory have bigger cache files. but even old slow, 64K ram computers like mine have a fair about of cache. (at work i have 256K.. very fast!)

#61083 03/16/02 06:53 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Helen ... understood it all except So place your mouse pointer in the scroll bar area
Where is that dang scroll bar? I am guessing you do not mean a highlighted are.
Help!?! Please?

#61084 03/16/02 07:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
wow, the scroll bar is the part of the screen you use to make what's on the screen go up or down. It's likely on the very edge of one side (the right, on mine), with a square that has a triangle in it at either end, and a moveable rectangle that you can slide up and down it. If what's on your screen is w-i-d-e, you'll have one across the bottom, too, to move things right or left. Now, if someone would tell me what that bottom bar where Start, etc., is called, I'd appreciate it.

#61085 03/16/02 07:52 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
...what that bottom bar where Start, etc., is called

Task bar. Although maybe it's the tool bar; I can't keep them straight. All these bars are enough to drive you to drink

And if you move the mouse pointer (A.K.A. the "cursor" - lots of room for expressiveness there) precisely onto the boundary between the bar and the rest of the screen, you get a little double-ended arrow, and then you can click-and-hold on it and, while holding it, drag it to make the bar bigger or smaller or even move it to the top or the right side or the left side. If you've a mind to.

And if you think you've lost it, you probably didn't, but it's been reduced _so_ small that it's only a little line at the edge of the screen. You can get it back again by moving the cursor all the way out to the edge - very precisely, remember - and get that double-arrow back, on which you can then click-and-hold again and drag the taskbar back to visible size...

#61086 03/16/02 11:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
or better yet if you have a small monitor, go to
Start--> Setting--> Control Panal--> Task bar and Start menu

there are four "check boxes"

always on top
auto Hide
Show small icons in Start menu
show clock

Always on top most likely checked

add a check to Auto hide.

it will cause you task bar to "fall" just below the viewing area of the monitor.. but if you bring your mouse/cursor near, it pops up..with a small monitor, this is a nice chunk of real estate.

and WOW, any where in the scroll bar. on the "slider" or in the "track" -- but it doesn't work with every browser! still, try it out!

you can also use the "right finger to do a right click" and a thread. top choice is back..

PS-- there are two common kinds of check boxes.. square ones, (proper check boxes) allow for mulitple choices.
round ones, (radio buttons) only one can be selected. (think of the preprogramed radio station buttons in your car)

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 719 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith