Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
*Sigh* You need a certain amount of wakefulness just to find where you're sitting down anyway. Channel a little of it into noticing what you're sitting on.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Nah! - I do it by instinct and in my sleep.

Although this can lead to unfortunate happenings! In the our last cottage, which was 300 years old and crazy, the route from beroom to bathroom went down five steps to a half-landing, then up five steps to the bathroom. The bottom steps on both flights were near enough to each other to step from one to the other without going down right onto the landing.
One night, I had semi-woken up, instead of being fast asleep during my nocturnal visit as usual. I made the mistake of counting steps and miscounted, therefor trying to step from the fourth step onto the other flight. I woke up totally and completely just half-a-second before my face smashed into the opposite top stair, as my feet plummetted towards the half-landing below!
My face was red and my eye was black.

#60741 03/15/02 02:02 PM
old hand
old hand
OK BYB,

LEFT

Male (in the US and on the continent) - the side the steering wheel's on.

Female (around the world) - uuummm......

STREET DIRECTORY

Male - Book of maps showing thoroughfares, places of interest, recreation reserves etc.

Female - uuummm......

stales

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My face was red and my eye was black.

But your butt wasn't wet.

#60743 03/16/02 12:03 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
STREET DIRECTORY

Male - Book of maps showing thoroughfares, places of interest, recreation reserves etc.

Female - uuummm......

ooooooooo I *must disagree on that one stales. Men *never use street directories. Men will drive around for hours never admitting they are lost.

Men will drive around for hours thinking that the ultimate truth as to the right direction will come as from God instead of from the gas station attendant who has lived in that area for all of his 87 years.

If Moses had listened to his wife and stopped for directions they would have found the holy land in a day and a half instead of 40 years.

#60744 03/16/02 12:55 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
but there are lots of studies showing men and women move in space in different ways..

woman use landmarks, go past the bakery, turn right by the shoe store, and then turn left by the big white house with the red shutters, which is past the school and the fire house.

a guy giving the same directions, turn right at the second traffic light, go down a ways, about 3 miles, fourth left after the traffic signal (fire house!)

#60745 03/16/02 01:02 AM
veteran
veteran

This is not my experience. I almost always check a map before traveling to an unknown place. My wife has the extremely irritating habit of removing the maps from the car for no apparent reason other than that she believes them to be as useful as cuneiform.

I seldom ask for instructions unless I actually am lost, because most of the time the instructions I receive are nonsensical or erroneous. On the rare occasions when I can't find myself, I have also been unable to locate said gas station attendant who has lived in the area for decades.

The good news is that my oldest daughter is adept at map reading, able to express herself clearly, and being an excellent navigator is an absolute pleasure to travel with. My youngest daughter is showing signs of being similarly inclined. I can only deduce that, if there is a gene for this characteristic, it must reside somewhere in the X chromosome. This astonishing conclusion has caused me no end of cognitive dissonance.

k

#60746 03/16/02 01:25 AM
A
Angel Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
Men will drive around for hours never admitting they are lost.

Oh, Bel! You are so right! Every summer we go to the same place in Ohio. Stay at a hotel at the same exit and travel the same roads to our destination each day. Last year, we had to get hotel reservations at the next exit north. Well, going from the hotel to the track became a riot every morning. I said turn left to head south, my husband said the road was at an angle, therefore turn right. He even went so far as to pull out a compass just to show me we were headed south. I knew we were going the wrong way, and the map was in the trunk. I asked for the compass, and when it moved away from the steering wheel, the needle turned. For whatever reason, when the compass was within two feet of the steering wheel, it would point straight at it! To make a long story short, compass or no compass, we had to turn left to go south!

#60747 03/16/02 01:28 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In a Military Medicine course, the Colonel told us about American troops early in WWII blundering right into German ambushes because they had not learned to use maps. Suddenly learning map reading did not seem so boring. I was lucky that my wife did not resent my cautious tactful explanations of the essentials. She was a big help on long trips.

#60748 03/16/02 01:58 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
If Moses had listened to his wife and stopped for directions they would have found the holy land in a day and a half instead of 40 years.

And after all that time, Moses finally managed to select practically the only spot in the entire area that doesn't have oil?

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 721 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith