Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#60021 03/08/02 08:54 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>I wonder if the term "baby sitter" has become more or less universal. Isn't "nanny" the preferred term in the UK, or is that reserved for an ongoing arrangement?

We'd only use a baby sitter for an evening or so, even if it were a regular evening, usually a teenager, family member or friend.
A nanny would look after a child in your own home (like Mary Poppins) and you can still get Norland Nannies with an updated uniform, although most don't wear uniforms.
A child-minder would be registered with the local authority to look after children in their own home
A nursery nurse or worker would look after children in a nursery (babies up) or a pre-school nursery (2/3 up).
I suppose the people who work in playgroups (organisations registered with the pre-school playgroup association) are called playgroup workers or something like that.

#60022 03/08/02 10:27 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
[blue}A child-minder would be registered with the local authority to look after children in their own home.[/blue}

Never heard child-minder, but I love it. It sounds so...no-nonsense, so Mary Poppins. That's another of those terms that makes the Brits so endearing to the American ear.

#60023 03/08/02 10:27 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
OOps! I blew the blue.

#60024 03/08/02 11:46 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Dear jmh: In US, "recruit" means to hunt for talent. But many are called, and few are chosen. Dictionary: to seek to enroll (students) in a college, university, etc., as for the purpose of playing a varsity sport

It is interesting to look it up using onelook.com. The entries appear fairly similar, it is the example sentences for recruit in the Cambridge dictionary that give away the different usages. You have the military sense of recruit, I think (eg Raw recruit), interesting that we use it for business recruitment too. I wonder if it was ever used in the US in that sense and was replaced by "hire" or if it was it always so.

I also note that the term "hire purchase" is described as only British and Australian. What would be the US term?
--------------------------------------------------------
recruit(from Cambridge International Dictionary of English)
noun, verb
(to persuade someone to become) a new member of an organization, esp. the army
The raw recruits (=new soldiers) were trained for six months and then sent to the war front. [C]
Charities such as Oxfam are always trying to recruit volunteers to help in their work. [T]
Even young boys are now being recruited to the army. [T]
a recruiting centre/officer
recruitment
noun [U]
The recession has forced a lot of companies to cut down on graduate recruitment.
It's all part of a recruitment drive intended to increase the party's falling numbers.
He works for a recruitment consultancy in London.
--------------------------------------------------------
recruit(from Cambridge Dictionary of American English)
verb [T]
to persuade (someone) to become a new member of an organization
The coach spends a lot of time recruiting the top high school athletes.
recruit
noun [C]
a new member of an organization, esp. a military organization
----------------------------------------------------------
Main Entry: 1re·cruit Merriam Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary
Pronunciation: ri-'krüt
Date: 1643
transitive senses
1 a (1) : to fill up the number of (as an army) with new members : REINFORCE (2) : to enlist as a member of an armed service b : to increase or maintain the number of <America recruited her population from Europe> c : to secure the services of : ENGAGE, HIRE d : to seek to enroll <recruit students>
2 : REPLENISH
3 : to restore or increase the health, vigor, or intensity of
intransitive senses : to enlist new members
- re·cruit·er noun
Main Entry: 2recruit
Function: noun
Etymology: French recrute, recrue fresh growth, new levy of soldiers, from Middle French, from recroistre to grow up again, from Latin recrescere, from re- + crescere to grow -- more at CRESCENT
Date: circa 1645
1 : a fresh or additional supply
2 : a newcomer to a field or activity; specifically : a newly enlisted or drafted member of the armed forces
3 : a former enlisted man of the lowest rank in the army

---------------------------------------------------------
hire(from Cambridge Dictionary of American English)
verb [T]
to start to employ (someone)
You ought to hire a lawyer to handle your taxes.

hire
noun [C]
an employee
Those retiring will be replaced by new hires.
------------------------------------------------------
hire(from Cambridge International Dictionary of English)
verb [T]
to pay to use (something) for a short period or to pay (someone) to do a job temporarily, or esp. Am to start to employ (someone)
How much would it cost to hire (AM USUALLY rent) a car for a fortnight? [T]
You could always hire (AM USUALLY rent) a dress for the ball if you can't afford to buy one.
I had to hire a gardener for a couple of months when I broke my leg.
We ought to hire a public relations consultant to help improve our image. [+ obj + to infinitive]
ESPECIALLY AMERICAN Our continuing success means that we will need to hire a hundred more staff over the coming year.

(British and Australian) Hire purchase (Am Installment plan) is a system of paying for something in which the buyer pays part of the cost immediately and then makes small regular payments until the debt is reduced to nothing.
Something bought on hire purchase is usually more expensive because an interest charge is added to the original price.

hire
noun [U]
There's a camping shop in town that has tents for hire (AM USUALLY rent) at £10 a week.
How much would it cost for the hire (AM USUALLY rental) of a moped for the weekend?
They run a hire car business (=a business renting cars to people).
He had an accident while he was driving a hire car (=a car that had been hired).

hired
adjective [not gradable]
a hired car
The police believe he was killed by a hired assassin.
My mother has a hired help (=She pays someone to help her in her home).

hiring
noun [C usually pl]
The office has completely changed in the past few weeks because there have been so many hirings and firings (=a lot of new people have been employed and a lot of others have lost their jobs).
----------------------------------------------------------

#60025 03/08/02 11:51 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#60026 03/08/02 11:58 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Well ain't that bloody typical - 4 million Zilders count fer nuttin', as usual.

Max, we must untie - we'll write to the reference books immediately.

#60027 03/09/02 12:04 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#60028 03/09/02 12:08 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>we use a saucy abbreviation instead

I was trying to ketchup with posts tonight but it is a hopeless plan. I'm getting a bit browned off and it's time to hit the sack.

#60029 03/10/02 05:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
thes remids me that on a thread called terms of endearment I mentioned that I sometimes call Peggy "Mustard Bean." It's because
"You mustard bean a beautiful baby,
Cause Baby won;t you look at you now..."

TEd
#60030 03/10/02 06:17 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Baby sitters and au pairs about ten years ago got a lot of bad publicity about having injured their charges.
I am reminded of overhearing a couple of homeward bound baby sitters on a bus in outskirts of Boston. One was complaining bitterly about her charges having made so much noise she couldn't enjoy her rock and roll tapes. Her companion said smugly: I don't have that problem. I turn on the gas in the oven and shove their heads in until they shut up."

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 437 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith