Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
ASp has had the excellent idea of starting three new word-threads recently. In that spirit:

Here in the US we would speak of renting a car for the weekend, but I understand you brits would call this hiring a car. In brit-speak, what is the distinction between rent and hire?

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
my off-the-cuff, can-speak distinction is this: you rent things, but hire people

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Many things can be hired. I remember Cal Coolidge's reply to suggestion that Britain's war debts to us be reduced, and he replied: "They hired the money didn't they?"

M
old hand
old hand
M
I remember Cal Coolidge's reply to suggestion that Britain's war debts to us be reduced, and he replied: "They hired the money didn't they?" -wwh

Now Doc, aren't we walking too many exaggerated miles barefoot in the snow to a unheated schoolshack to be
believed by the cosmopolitan people on this board? If you heard Coolidge's remarks on the British war debts on the radio in 1925, you must have been about zero years old.

By the way, Did the Brits ever paid us back?

#60015 03/07/02 11:36 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Milum: In 1925, I was seven years old. I remember listening to presidential election on the radio about that time, but never heard Coolidge.Incidentally Coolidge had more ability than you might gather from some of the slanted history books.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Personally I would rent a hire car.

the Duncster

the Duncster
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>you rent things, but hire people

Funny, I would never hire a person, only recruit or employ them, although I might use the term "hire and fire" just because of the way it sounds. I have also seen occasional signs on windows (maybe McDonalds) saying "we're hiring" and people would understand it. Maybe that is where the main difference lies, because we do not, in general, use hire for people we do not need to use replace the term with rent when referring to things.

In running a course for management boards of voluntary organisations we used to say that the main role of the board was to hire and fire the chief executive. Sadly one useful North American philosophy for boards of voluntary organisations never really crossed the pond - "give, get or get off".

I would:
* recruit (possibly using a recruitment agency), employ, contract or "take on" a person
* hire (short term) or lease (longer term) a car (although I see that companies such as Avis and Hertz use the term "car hire and rental" to hedge their bets) - also hire: tools, clothes, bikes almost anything
* rent or lease a flat

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Interesting that Avis and Hertz hedge their bets in the UK by advertising "car hire and rental." In the US (and, per boronia's post, Canada as well) it's always rental. Here it's true that one hires people. Not so many years ago families who employed domestic helpers referred to them as a "hired man" or a "hired girl." (As in Robert Frost's wonderful poem "The Death of the Hired Man") These labels were commonly used in parts of New England.

In a similar vein, I wonder if the term "baby sitter" has become more or less universal. Isn't "nanny" the preferred term in the UK, or is that reserved for an ongoing arrangement? I remember when baby sitting was called "keeping house" (at least in the backwoods of NE); then in 1948 a movie called "Sitting Pretty" popularized the term baby sitter.

#60020 03/08/02 03:05 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear jmh: In US, "recruit" means to hunt for talent. But many are called, and few are chosen.

Dictionary: to seek to enroll (students) in a college, university, etc., as for the purpose of playing a varsity sport

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 453 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith