Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just joking about the tubes there, FF. Was envisioning Dr Jekyll with his test tubes.

JazzO, Faldage likes to say his crowning glory would be to play the title role in "Waiting for Godot"

veteran
veteran
Ah .... a little too quick for me before the IV.

Note to Self: Watch for falling puns.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Conrads 'Heart of Darkness' is a short classic, for those who did not know it is where the story for Apocalypse Now ( my fave) came.

the Duncster

the Duncster
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The novella "The Fox" by D.H. Lawrence. I don't think this was published as a seperate volume. I have only seen it in anthologies and the like. One of my favorites by D.H.

J
old hand
old hand
J
JazzO, Faldage likes to say his crowning glory would be to play the title role in "Waiting for Godot"

Yeahbut, a read some analyses of the book after I read it and Beckett apparently said that Godot really comes from a French word for some type of boot worn in the military. (Or is Faldage implying that he wants to be a boot?)

M
old hand
old hand
M
Thin Books

Two of the three books that most influenced my mindset were thin.

One was Lonely Man, Lonely God.
The other thin book was The Pleasure- Pain Principal.
The fat book was entitled The Open and Closed Mind.

Strange- I don’t remember who wrote any of them. No matter, you wouldn’t want to grow up to be me, would you?

One thin book I would highly recommend would be The Fall of Rome by R.A. Lafferty. Gibbon was good but Rome never fell until it was written so by Lafferty.

One thin novel that is worth reading but much neglected by those who admire Hemingway is Across the River and into the Trees
In this little book Little Ernie Hemingway is at his best- for a while- but like many a ner-do-well salesman, he fails to close.

It seems that the american novel reading public doesn’t cotton to skinny books much. Remember Jonathan Livingston Seagull of the seventies, the best selling book that everybody read and no one knew why? Maybe that book ruined the chances for a future market.

I think the others on this thread are right. Read the best short stories. I'll tell what stories I think best on a post in a minute.

P
veteran
veteran
P
OMERTA by Mario Puzo sounds like it should be a SHORT book but it is not. It is very entertaining, however. Example: "You can't send six billionaires to jail. Not in a democracy." Stuff like this makes it SEEM short. Does that qualify?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
For two good THIN books of excellent short stories, try "Harmony of the World" and "Through the Safety Net", both by Charles Baxter[Michigan writer, of course].

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 399 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith