About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#59164 02/28/02 09:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Found this site while searching for a cornobbled citation. It's an amazing potpourri of links involving all kinds of English dialects and slang from all periods of time, and from all over the world! Didn't know where to put it, so I'm posting it here. Enjoy!

http://www.geocities.com/sassisch/rhahn/lowlands/links_english.htm

#59165 02/28/02 11:07 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Nice one, WO'N! Particularly liked the Irish English link - had me ROFL !!

#59166 02/28/02 11:42 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#59167 03/01/02 02:23 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Cool, WO'N! There's one (at least) all you computering word-lovers should like: Circolwyrde Wordhord (Old English computer terminology ...)
I found this in it, and don't know what either term means, but I like the (apparent!) sound of the OE one:
daisy chain
dægeseageracenteah (f)

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
These from the Canadianisms link:

bean --
One hundred dollars. May be a local Montréal term.

So, Bean...now we know!

Alcool --
Pure grain alcohol. Known in the States as Everclear. The kind person who described Screech has this to say: "The name Alcool actually comes from the french word "alcool" (kind of pronounced like alco-ol, like alcove and awl, but no v) which means alcohol, (obviously) but since there is no other product name on the bottle, people have come to calling it "Alcool", rhymes with tool, instead of no-name alcohol. Alcool is also easier to say than alcohol when inebriated." He notes that it may just be an Ontario thing, but someone else tells me it's available in Quebec too.

Cool word for alcool!

Timbits --
Do(ugh)nut holes from Tim Horton's. Several people with dark senses of humo(u)r have pointed out to me that these were introduced shortly after Tim Horton, a famous and beloved hockey player who started the chain, was killed in a car accident.

You guys eat donut holes in Canada? That's what I really call chewing on air! So that explains it then! hi bel!

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
There's a link at the top of the Map of Anglo-Saxon England link called the Old English Pages which is a virtual archive of Old English complete with electronic texts and sound files. And it also offers a free Old English Text program for downloading, but only for Mac users, that shows thorn and eth in standard Mac fonts. Icelandicize your Mac!, it says. So, AnnaS, I guess the thorn is yours if you want it to show off...and eth, too! Here's the link:

http://www.georgetown.edu/cball/oe/old_english.html

Also, click on the fonts link on the above page for a fascinating look at some Old English scripts.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Thanks, WO'N. This one's a goldmine.

#59171 03/01/02 01:40 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
I think I know the Canadian page you mention. I've read it over before, only to be shocked at all the things we have here that I just assumed were everywhere (such as ketchup chips). As a matter of fact, I just had to explain Timbits this week to a new student here from the Ukraine. I'd organized a coffee/tea party for this afternoon, and mentioned in the email invitation that I would buy Timbits. She said she looked it up in the dictionary, because she didn't know what it was. (Of course, being a brand-name, it wasn't there!) We also refer to the chain (properly known as Tim Horton's) as "Tim's". Like we know the man or something!

There is another major donut chain called Robin's Donuts, and they call their donut holes Robin's Eggs.

Every region has lots of alcohol slang terms. We all refer to beer cases by the number of beers, so you can say "Pick up a six of beer" or "Pick up a twelve of beer" or "Pick up a two-four, willya?" And again, the nicknames of different-size bottles of hard liquor refer to the old ounce measurements: a "mickey" (13 oz), a "two-sixer" (26 oz), or a "forty".

As for Newfoundland Screech, the bit on the website is right, but needs more history. Newfoundland has a long history of trade with Jamaica. During the Prohibition, the rum-runners used to travel between Newfoundland and Jamaica, and imported a great quantity of cheap rum. I've read somewhere that it referred to rum made/transported in barrels which had held molasses (another great NF staple), and that gave it a peculiar flavour. However, I don't have time just now to Google it to death to find out. We've bought the brand-name Screech, and I find it hideous. I like Lamb's white rum myself.

#59172 03/01/02 05:24 PM
R
addict
addict
R
Particularly liked the Irish English link - had me ROFL !!

And not a single reference left out. In fact there're ones in there I hadn't seen in a long time.

And the funny thing is everyone speaks like that over here.

Well, I'm fierced knackered. I'm going to get some squids from the drink link and go out on the piss and have some craic and ri-ra. Then I'm off to me scratcher to get some Zs.

Slán leat,

Rubrick

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith