Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And this Kiwi has already been called a Pig Islander by the Mainlander in Blighty.

Well, you ARE one!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#58619 02/27/02 05:22 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

old hand
old hand
'les roast beefs' (spelling forgotten - sorry!).

Ah, oui, les rosbifs, e.g. in the slangy thrillers by Frédéric Dard alias San Antonio.

#58621 02/27/02 12:22 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
That P.C. nonsense with words annoys me. I mean, if you choose to start a discussion on the word (which stales did not), you should have the guts to say what it is you're referring to. I once saw a whole interview with a lady on CNN who worked to help African women who were forced to undergo what she glossed over as 'gen'mulation' (genital mutilation). She could not bring herself to utter that against which she fought.
Some years ago an American girl told me about a bar fight that broke out when one Australian 'pulled out the n-word'. With no idea that the fight was with black American marines, I was at a loss to fill in the blank. 'You know' breathed this pint-sized white girl. 'Oh, right: nigger' I replied. 'Yes' she squirmed back. I wonder if she would have ventured to purchase the book to the word?
I really enjoy hip-hop music and have had many friends over the years who have chosen to call themselves 'nigga'. The kind of school I went to in Bonn, kids jokingly called African kids this, and other terms were used in reverse. We were all a mixed bag (ca. 80 nations) and words like 'Kaffir' were used around the South Africans, just as 'Kraut' and 'Kartoffel' were around Germans.
I understand that the racial slurs have a far more profound legacy in America, which is sad - I guess some scars can't be erased.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Are newfs the dog of choice in Newfoundland?

Well, they're not dogs for everyone, because they're BIG. BIG BIG BIG. So if you don't like big dogs it's not a good idea. I see a lot more Labs around but I don't know much about their personalities. (We are, after all, a cat family.)

As for the trucks/Labs thing, I get the impression that a lot of coastal Labrador towns are inaccessible by road. So why on earth you would own a truck in such a place is beyond me. But people do, because I know that gas (along with everything else) is brought in by coastal boat for use in those places. Apparently some towns, who were recently connected by gravel road to other towns, were debating whether or not to institute snow-clearing in the winter. Previously, there was not much point, since everyone gets around by snowmobile in the wintertime there. Now that there was a road, people wanted to use their cars in the winter, too.

The only definite thing I can say is that some guy in Labrador made the news last fall because his truck was attacked by a rabid wolf. Now THAT is a typical Newfoundland story. Weird but true, and always newsworthy!

The only Labrador dog I've spent any time with was my cousins' dog, and they got him when they lived in - wait for it - Perth, Australia!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Are newfs the dog of choice in Newfoundland?

Sure as shootin' are the dog of choice in one corner of Michigan. Hi there, Jeff!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#58624 02/27/02 03:01 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Sure as shootin' are the dog of choice in one corner of Michigan. Hi there, Jeff!

[channeling Jeff] Woof! Woof! [wagging-tail-and-snuffling-nose e] [/Jeff]

#58625 02/27/02 03:04 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Why I preview my posts:

At first, I wrote:

[channeling Jeff] Woof! Woof! [/Jeff] [wagging-tail-and-snuffling-nose e]

But then I realized that closing the Jeff function before the emoticon would make me be the one who was wagging my tail and snuffling my nose. Cute effect with Jeff; very not-so-cute with me....

#58626 02/27/02 03:10 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Re Newfoundlans : they're not dogs for everyone, because they're BIG. BIG BIG BIG. So if you don't like big dogs it's not a good idea. I see a lot more Labs around but I don't know much about their personalities.

True, Newfs are BIG, they eat a lot, vets charge more to board them and they slobber. You can always tell a newf owner because they carry a rag in their pocket!
Labs, once out of puppyhood (when they are high energy) turn into really laid back couch pooches. In general they have few things on their minds : FOOD, catching the ball, getting into any water available,sleep.
Two pretty good links:
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/newf.html
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/labrador.html

#58627 02/27/02 03:15 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The best description of the character of the Newfoundland dog is the epitaph written by Lord Byron inscribed on the grave of his Newfoundland called Boatswain (Bo'sn):

Near this spot
are deposited the remains of one
who possessed beauty without vanity
strength without insolence
courage without ferocity
and all the virtues of man without his vices.
This praise which would be
unmeaning flattery
if inscribed over human ashes
is but a just tribute to the memory of
Boatswain, a dog
who was born at Newfoundland, May 1803,
and died at Newstead Abbey,
November 18, 1808.

Later: Searched for a photo of the monument at Newstead Abbey which has a life size statue of the Newfoundland atop it. No luck. If you find one please post?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 399 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith