Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#58598 02/26/02 02:55 AM
stales Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Don't think I've seen a thread on the names we are called that reflect where we live - apologies if there has been one. There's been bits n pieces, but not a whole thread.

We've heard mention of Hoosiers (loved the previous post about the College team's banner - "Hoosier Daddy?"), Scousers, the "Show Me" state and so on.

Some terms may be offensive - I for one would like to know why and seek guidance as to when/if it is appropriate to use them. Jappie (South African - pron yar-pee), Mick (Irish) (Hi GallantTed) and Wetback probably fall into this category.

Take me frinstance - a proud Sandgroper (former New South Welshman, son of a Mexican (Victorian - south of the border!) and a Cockney). Why? Every hole we dig tells you why - Perth sits on unconsolidated sands 3 kilometres deep. Completely inoffensive.

Let's start with Canuck........I'd like to know why.

stales

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
What do you mean Canuck is offensive? I never thought that. We have a hockey team bearing that name. I seem to remember it came from some cartoon character. Let me go looking...

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Directly from ASKJEEVES.COM

"Canuck" Defined

One of the most common questions I get asked when we travel into the USA to cheer on the Canucks is "What's a Canuck?" The simple answer is "a Canadian". The complete answer takes a little more explanation.

Years ago, I was watching a sports commentary show where the topic was team names. During an interview with Stan Fischler, the New York sports reporter commented that he didn't like the name "Canucks" because it was an offensive term (worse than "Redskins" or "Indians"). What was he talking about? We all know that "Canuck" is just another word for "Canadian".

In a seemingly unrelated story, I had just installed a copy of WordPerfect on my computer. WordPerfect has many great features, including a grammar checker (so much for thinking that I'm a pretty good writer). After producing a road trip brochure, I thought I'd give the grammar checker a try. The first thing it found:
CANUCK: Avoid this offensive term. Consider revising.

Huh? So, now we have to change the name of our hockey team? I don't think so.

- - -

Okay, so just exactly what is a Canuck and why is it an offensive term? Then again, if the word is so insulting, why did they name our team the "Canucks"? Off to the library I went.

The first dictionary I checked reported:

CANUCK () n. Slang. Canadian [sometimes offensive or patronizing in non-Canadian use]. Origin obscure.

Boy, when they said "origin obscure" they weren't kidding. It seemed like every dictionary had a different origin for the word. One suggested that the word came from CANUC which is used vulgarly and rather contemptuously for Canadian. Another suggested that it came from CONNAUGHT which was a nickname given by French Canadians to describe Irish Canadians in the early 1800's.

Finally, there was a suggestion that "Canuck" began as the Hawaiian word KANAKA which represented a south sea islander (no, not a New York Islander). It seems that French Canadians and these islanders were both employed in the Pacific Northwest fur trade and the term was used to describe them. The theory is that the word evolved, taking "CAN" from "Canadian" and adding it to "AKA" to form CANAK (CANUCK).

Wherever the word came from, by the mid 1800's "Canuck" was regularly used to describe a Canadian.

In the 1860's, editorial cartoonists created a character by the name of "Johnny Canuck". Johnny was used to represent Canada, just as Uncle Sam represented the United States. Johnny Canuck was depicted as a wholesome young man, wearing the garb of a habitant, farmer, logger, rancher or soldier. Johnny was often drawn resisting the bullying of Uncle Sam. Boy, we could use someone like that now to keep our NHL teams in Canada.

Johnny had one flaw -- he wasn't too bright. This may explain something. Let's say your best friend comes up to you, pats you on the back and calls you a goof. You laugh it off. On the other hand, if someone you had never met did the same thing, you might take them out back and settle the issue. Maybe that's why Canadians can call themselves Canucks and be proud of it, but don't let those darn Yankees call us Canucks!

During World War II, a new comic book hero was introduced. His name was also Johnny Canuck. This time, Mr. Canuck was a caped strong man who protected Canadians from the Nazi menace. Johnny Canuck had no special powers, but he waged a one man war against Hitler with human strengths belonging to any fine fighting Canuck. Tell someone from Holland that you are a Canuck and they will thank you for liberating their country from the Nazis.

- - -

So, now we have the Canadian image of a Canuck. Powerful (not superhuman but capable). A defender of Canada. A fighter. A tough guy (in spirit and in body). Sounds like a hockey player.

When Vancouver was admitted to the Pacific Coast Hockey League in 1946, they seized upon the image of a team of Canucks. The name worked. Despite the fact that we don't hear much about Johnny Canuck anymore, the term "Canuck" still represents the best qualities of being a Canadian
in the utmost

H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
Boy, based on that subject I expected an <R> rating ...

former New South Welshman, son of a Mexican (Victorian - south of the border!)

Which means - to make matters all the more confusing YOU would be an ex-Mexican to a Banana-bender / Cane Toad (Queenslander).

From the Cockroach.. eeww! [scrunched up face-e]

Hev

stales Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Whoa there bel - I never said Canuck was offensive. Just a case of unfortunate placement in my post.

Interesting debate though - your 2nd post indicates that it is or was offensive to at least some of your fellow Connaughts.

stales

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Calling a South African a Yappie or van der Merwe is never acceptable. I do it all the time. van der Merwe is the archetypal dumb Boer, and calling a South African of English extraction that is a call to arms.

In Zild we have Jafas. It's short for "Just Another F***ing Aucklander" and can be applied to anyone from north of the Bombay Hills. And usually is. "Jafa" is now an acceptable form of speech - it's often used on the radio and TV.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
Calling a South African a Yappie or van der Merwe is never acceptable

I've heard of the term "Kaffke" for a South African, but I have no idea of the meaning, or whether or not it is offensive. Anyone offer any advice?

Kiwis: East Islanders (and they call us West Islanders).
South Australians: Crow eaters (explanation Doc?)

Hev

stales Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hev

It's Kaffir.

And it is EXTREMELY offensive.

Always.

To everybody in South Africa - black or white. I know - from a first hand experience with a Dutch South African. My attempt at jocularity with him is something I will always regret, it lowered me below the level of the gutter in his eyes.

And, if the person you are with does not find it a contemptible term, you should ask yourself whether they deserve your company.

All - please take heed and don't use it - it's as bad / worse(?) than the n- word in the USA.

stales

Edit: Seems I got it right. Found the following quote at an informative (pointed) essay about South Africa at http://www.uwlax.edu/ereserves/cox/soc225/south_africa.htm "In Arabic, kaffir originally meant infidel, today it is a racial slur like the n word in US"

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Crow eaters

Well, perhaps it's because they're all Parsees? Although you'd never know it to look at the average South Striner ...

Hey, but what about Taswegians?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
R
addict
addict
R
We have Biffos which are Big, ignorant F***ers from Offaly.

I don't find Micks an offensive term but it can be, whereas Paddy is far more acceptable. We sometimes use it to describe ourselves.

A Jackeen is someone from Dublin whereas a Culchee is someone from anywhere else!! A more offensive term would be a muck savage!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith